Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Name Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > The Name Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] >>
Really? I thought that a mucker (?) was an incident that didn't go as planned...

(HOLIDAYS IN 2 DAYS.... YAY!!!! Tongue Smilie Juggling Smilie (sorry, really like that smily... Big Smile Smilie ))
No, a muckup is when the selling price of an item is increased.
Nope, to Markup is what a dog does to a treed cat.

(Sorry if that sounds lame, but I ran out of other ideas.)
No, to barkup (?) is to reverse.
No Backup is when you make a really big mistake.
Erm...No, muck-up is what you call a really snobby person.
No A pollock is where you keep a horse
No a hiccup is an even smaller raised part of the earth's surface, much smaller than a mountain, more like a small mound.
No, a Hillock is someone who is none too clever.
No a pillock is a sea fish related to the cod.
Naw, a paddock keeps the honest people from getting in.
Nah, a padlock is a man who practices the black arts.
Nope, a warlock is a small tremor before an earthquake.
No, a foreshock (?) is hank of hair that grows just above the forehead which maybe pulled when the squire passes by.
No, a forelock is what you put on your door to keep out the burglars.

...Though I hear it's not as effective against hobbits that hang out with dwarves and wood thrushes and pay attention to writings on old maps.
No, a door-lock is that wishbone or circular shaped thingy found at least once on each side of a row boat.
Oh,no-no-no!A oarlock is an evil wizzard

(Grondy merely made the above conform to the rules: word that answers to the old definition plus a definition of a sound or spelled nearly alike new word.)

[Edited on 18/12/2002 by Grondmaster]
very true I have friends who are practicing wicca's (I don't know the plural) they would scalp you for saying that a warlock is a male witch, a male witch is called a witch.
No, warlock is martial; bellicose; fit for, fond of, or ready for war.
I did not say that a warlock is a male witch, I said "A man who practices the black arts." WICCAN'S do NOT practice the black arts. My wording was carefully chosen for just that reason Wink Smilie
Quote:
I did not say that a warlock is a male witch, I said "A man who practices the black arts."
And then Ross agreed that your statement was correct. He then went on to correct the misconception to which many of us had previously been subjected.

So you are both in the right. Smiling Santa Smilie Meanwhile the statement remains:
No, warlock is martial; bellicose; fit for, fond of, or ready for war.
Ok Grondmaster, I think that we need the answer... Exploding Head Smilie goes my brain... (well it is the school holidays here...) its "war-something" - right?
No, warlike is the nighttime gleam from a distant celestial body.

(Once you have see it, my word was obvious; however, I also had a heck of a time coming up with a new definition for it. This may have been what slowed everybody down.) :elfembar:
And here I was trying to find a word to go with warmonger, warlike is much easier. Orc Going Huh Smilie Big Smile Smilie

Anyhoooo:
No, starlight is responsiible for those horrible ear piercing noises in the ally outside my window. Cat Smilie
Noooo, catfight (???) is an herb that enfriskies our fabulous feline friends. I sometimes refer to it as kitty-weed Big Laugh Smilie

(BTW, yes, I made up the word "enfriskies"...cut me some slack)
Naw, catnip is a magic spell (like the words you say when you stub your toe on a tin container).
No a Cantrip is a form of horse movement
No, a canter is a point that's in the middle of something
No, a center is a mythical creature having the upper part of a man and the lower part of a horse.
No, a centaur is yet another mythological creature that lived in a maze and was killed by Theseus.
No, a minataur (?) is a rather long curved knife.
No, a scimitar is a Japanese brand of motorcycle or keyboard.
what Kawasaki?
Or a Yamaha? Elf Confused Smilie

You have stumped us, Arwen*Evenstar*. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Yeah, Yamaha (that rhymes with scimitar right?) Orc Going Huh Smilie
We were being sarcastic with our answers Arwen*Evenstar*. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

When I said
Quote:
You have stumped us, Arwen*Evenstar*.
I meant for you to either give us another hint or move us to another word, because we have run out of Japanese motorcycle and instrument makers. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Please. Happy Elf Smilie
In spite of fear of showing ignorance: why would you need more Japanese motorcycle and instrument makers? I'm confused

Couldn't you have just said:'No, a Yamaha is an instrument with six strings that can be strummed or plucked'

*either that or I just don't get these rules, in which case feel free to go on without me. Dunce Smilie
Nope, a guitar is a person with a high level of education.
Quote:
In spite of fear of showing ignorance: why would you need more Japanese motorcycle and instrument makers? I'm confused

Couldn't you have just said:'No, a Yamaha is an instrument with six strings that can be strummed or plucked'

*either that or I just don't get these rules, in which case feel free to go on without me.
Now I understand the problem. Yamaha also makes pianos and recorders, we were looking for a brand name that rhymes with scimitar or is spelled similarly. We were confused by this. Elf Confused Smilie

To lessen your confusion, here is the game format: Deal Smilie

No, Word A = Definition B (Words A and B should rhyme, etc.)
No, Word B = Definition C (Words B and C should ...)
No, Word C = Definition D (Words C and D should ...)

To fit these rules, the clue might have been, 'No, a scimitar is an instrument with six strings that can be strummed or plucked'. Then Rednell answer would fall into place to be answered by the next person. Cool Elf Smilie

Arwen*Evenstar*: Please don't give up playing the game with us. We need new people to bring new words and they can use words that we have previously used without any prejudice (we old timers try not to repeat words, which is sometimes difficult), but it is fine when a new person does as it keeps the game from growing stagnant. Genius Smilie

No a doctor is an agent, manager, or a supervisor of university exams.
well, I was thinking of scholar, but doctor works.

No a proctor is a farm vehicle used for plowing fields.
No, a tractor is something that produces nuclear energy. (I hope this is right)
No a reactor is Elijah Wood's occupation.
No, an actor is an element to be considered in a process, action, or train of thought.
No, a factor is a building where goods are manufactured in large quantities.
Nope, a factory is a piece of information which is definitely true
No, see, a fact is an agreement between a group of people.
No, (a) pact is what I did with all my clothes that I wanted to take with me on my holiday.
No, packed is the method in which a computer or program was broken into to steal control or data.
No, jacked is what happened to the plate when I dropped it...
No, cracked is when something is bent or askew.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] >>