Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Try and guess who said the following quote! If you get it, it's your turn.

"Do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory things that were once needful for the wise to know."
Could that be Gandalf?
No, but you've got the hair color of the character almost right Very Big Grin Smilie
Would it be Celeborn who said that? Smile Smilie
Cat Smiling Smilie
Yep! Your turn now.
Quote:
Could that be Gandalf?

Quote:
No, but you've got the hair color of the character almost right Very Big Grin Smilie

Really Arco? l thought that it was Gandalf too, when he was in the Houses of Healing and the old healinglady said:
"The hands of the King, are the hands of a healer." Correct me if l'm wrong...........
I always believed that it was a subtle hint (foreshadowing) to the athelas episode with Ioreth (as well as the Ents), but it was said by Celeborn, to Boromir (in the chapter Farewell to Lórien), after Boromir had mentioned the strange tales about the Forest of Fangorn (and most likely the Ents, though he does not mention them directly).

Quote:
'Indeed we have heard of Fangorn in Minas Tirith,' said Boromir. 'But what I have heard seems to me for the most part old wives' tales, such as we tell to our children. All that lies north of Rohan is now to us to far away that fancy can wander freely there. Of old Fangorn lay upon the borders of our realm; but it is now many lives of men since any of us visited it, to prove or disprove the legends that have come down from distant years." ....
'Then I need say no more,' said Celeborn. 'But do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know.'
Oops sorry about my insolence Got The Blues Smilie
Insolence? That was an obscure quote, and I had to look it up in my book (twice) in order to double-check it. And there's no problem with asking questions; I've made lapses on P-T before, only some of which were immediately noticed. So, indeed, fire away!

In the meantime, it's Fea's turn, and hopefully she'll turn up soon.
Hmm... If Fea doesn't show up by Tuesday, then someone else can post a new one.
Can it be not connected to Tolkien as well Question Smilie
Oh, I suppose. 'Broadening our horizons' and all...
Ok, thanks Arco!

Who said the following then eh?

Quote:
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws.
Angel Smilie I had to do a history project on him, quoting the Republic and everything, and am amazed I remember that line... so I'll leave it for someone else. Na-na-na-na-na Smilie
l know l know Tongue Smilie it was Plato right?!?!?!?!?! Tongue Smilie

Whoa!!! l know the answer and this is my 100th post!!! Pary Smilie
Party at my place!!! Alcoholic Smilie
I am so bad at quotes like that so the next please be from tolkien pleaze!! Gildor it's your turn! make it somewhat easy!! like from a movie or something!! just kidding you can do what ever you want!!
I've got one:

Quote:
'When weighty matters are in debate, Mithrandir, I wonder a little that you should play with your toys of fire and smoke, while others are in earnest speech... I know well enough that you have become a curious explorer of the small: weeds, wild things, and childish folk.Your time is your own to spend, if you have nothing worthier to do... (but) I have no time for the simples of peasants.'"

lt is Tolkien related!
I'm going to hazard a guess and say Saruman.
You're right....

not that difficult was it? But it's your turn now.
Quote:
"We don't often see Shire-Folk riding on the Road at night," he went on, as they halted a moment by his door. "You'll pardon my wondering what business takes you away east of Bree! What may your names be, might I ask?"
I say the gatekeeper at Bree.
That is correct. He has a name, though.
Oh yeah l forgot: Harry Goatleaf was his name, right?
Good form.
Okay new one then:

Quote:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Gandalf said it
Nope, not even close Tongue Smilie
Did I say Gandalf? typical, lol, it was Gildor to Frodo about Gandalf!
I'm thinking Bilbo to Frodo?
NOW you're right :P

Your turn Smile Smilie

(l mean Sevrinn)

Quote:
"Gibbets and Crows! Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs!"

Not from the movies!
Saruman!
Yep you got it!!
Here it goes then:

Quote:
"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."
I don't know why but to me it sounds like Saurumon?
Nah, wasn't that Frodo to Gildor? But hang on, maybe Frodo was quoting someone... Oh well, I'll say it was Frodo.
Frodo Baggins met a band of Noldor on the evening he set out from Bag End and spent some time in converstaion with their leader, Gildor Inglorien, hoping for good advice. Gildor's 'advice' prompted Frodo to say (half in jest) "It is said Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"

So, Tommie's right! - in my book anyway lol Big Smile Smilie
See I'm no good at this stuff!!
Yup lt was Frodo! The turn goes to Tommie!
Yay! Big Smile Smilie Oh wait, I don't have my books here, so it'll have to be non-Tolkien again, sorry...

Try this one:

Quote:
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

Elk Grinning Smilie
Oscar Wilde?
Of course! He's always been one of my favourites.
Nice one, Gildor! Over to you again then... Big Smile Smilie
Jippy!!! l'm good at this game!!! Tongue Smilie

Quote:
"Here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea, comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

Not that hard....
Crap my LotR Trilogy is at school I can't look it up!!

Wild guess: Aragorn!!??

That's wrong I know it!!
Yup, it's wrong! l thought this was an easy one! Tongue Smilie
Can't look it up either, but my guess is Gandalf. It sounds like him. Animated Wink Smilie
Gandalf says it to Frodo near the end of Return of the King.....Tommie's beaten me to it again!!
I was thinking Gandalf but for some reason my fingers typed Aragorn!! I swear!! Just kidding!
Yup Tommie is right again!
And there I go again! Big Smile Smilie I'm good at this! Yay! *ahem*

It'll have to be non-Tolkien again... So try this one:

Quote:
Golf is a game who's aim it is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
  [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>