Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Found it, 'twas Elu Thingol, Lord of Beleriand to the Dwarves who lusted after the Silmaril bearing Nauglamir.

Who said, 'I looked out to see the dawn'?
Aragorn to Saruman's army outside of the hornberg.
Yes, Turin's turn once again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said
"Well, well! That's over! I have done all I could. But I have met my match, and have nearly been destroyed."
Gandalf, after trysting with the unknown force, which later turned out to be the Balrog, as he was trying to block the eastern exit from the Chamber of Mazarbul, whose ceiling had caved, in blocking the passage forever and causing Gandalf to be spent (pooped out) from all his mental effort.
Correct.
Who said, 'That was nigh on thirty years ago. For a while we had news and it seemed good...and a great work begun there.'
Gloin?
Yes, at the Council of Elrond. So it is Turin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said to whom "Not so. If the Eagles of Manwe were wont to err thus, then long ago, lord, your hiding would have been in vain"?

(Hint: It's from the Silmarillion)
Thorondor to Turgon?
Yeah.
I'm going to post another, since Thorin seems to have forgotten.

Who said "Master Gandalf, I know you only by sight, but now I should be glad to speak to you. For you have often come into my thoughts of late, as if I were bidden to seek you." ?
Thorin Oakenshield told that to Gandalf in the Prancing Pony I believe. I think this is mentioned in the Appendix of the Lord of the Ring. Gandalf was considering how to get rid of Smaug lest someone found a better use for him.... Elk Grinning Smilie
Correct.
Alright, well it's been a couple days, so I'll post another:
Who said "There's something fishy in this, my dear!........Silly old fool. But why worry? He hasn't taken the vittles with him."?
Otho Sackville-Baggins after Bilbo dissappeared from his eleventy-first birthday party?
No, but you're on the right track.
Old Rory Brandybuck on the same occasion.

Who received a gift from Bilbo that read, 'For the collection of ______ ______________, from a contributor' and what was that gift?
Was it Hugo Bracegirdle? The Gift was an empty book case!
Yes, Thorin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said:
"The shadow of Mordor lies on distant lands," answered__________."Saruman has fallen under it. Rohan is beset.
The obvious guess would be Gandalf, but even though that is probably wrong, that's my opening guess.
No Grondy. It is not Gandalf though it sounds like him! Elk Grinning Smilie
Elrond?
No.

Hint: That was said in The Council of Elrond
I knew where it was said, I just didn't remember who said it; it was actually Aragorn, when he was wondering if the horses of the Black Riders came from Rohan as tribute. Boromir soon set him straight.

Who said, 'You don't belong here; you're no Baggins—you—you're a Brandybuck!'?
Bilbo's favourite relative: Lobelia Sackville-Baggins! Orc Grinning Smilie
Indeed it was the Shire's Dragonlady Elk Grinning Smilie Thorin's turn.
Who said:

"See! We are coming to the end of the trees. How far is it to Isengard, Gandalf?"
I think it was Merry? Because we later learned Pippin was jealous that he didn't get to ride there with the wizard and he had a passel of questions he wanted answered.
Nopes. Merry does not come until several paragraphs forward!!
Well then, it must be as they are leaving Helm's Deep, so I'll make my first wrong guess. Was it Legolas?
Gimli?
No Thinker. It was Legolas as Grondy rightly said. His turn! Orc Grinning Smilie
Who said, 'I do not like this place either; but I cannot think of anywhere better that we could reach before nightfall.' ?
Aragorn to Sam on Weathertop.
Correct; Thorin's turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said and where:
"Well, if you must go, you must," he said. "I am sorry. I shall miss you. It was nice to know that you are about the place.
Bilbo to Frodo when it was time for the Fellowship to leave Rivendell on their journey towards getting rid of the Ring?
It is Bilbo to Frodo and it is in Rivendell but it is when Frodo and the other hobbits are returning to the Shire.

Your Turn. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
That would have been my second guess.

Who said and to whom: 'I observe, my good _______,' said ________, 'that with great care you said dwelt, was, grew. What about is? Is he dead?'

Isn't observing an ocular function rather than an auditory one?
Treebeard & Gandalf?
Yes, Gandalf said it to Treebeard.

Thorin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said "But do not become enamoured of the Great Lands, you who one day must be King and Father of this Isle!" ?
Sounds like it comes from the story in UT about the King of Númenor's son who practiced being a mariner, rather than a husband. I'm not sure whether it was his mother, father, or wife who was reprimanding him with that quote. Perhaps I will look it up tomorrow, I know that the title of the section in the book is the names of the son and his wife: similar to Tristan and Isolde, or Romeo and Juliet, or Myron and Ruby. Making Out Smilie

The latter were a local Jewish couple; and until they retired and moved to Palm Springs, they ran the best darned hardware store in the state. 'If we don't have it; you don't need it.' Deal Smilie And that slogan was seldom put to the test.
You are correct.
Okay, and the couple's names were Aldarion and Erendis, which I had to look up in UT. Elf Winking Smilie

Who said, and where did I find it written? 'The Bree hobbits claim to have been the first actual smokers of the pipe-weed. They claim, of course, to have done everything before the people of the Shire, whom they refer to as the "colonists"; but in this case their claim is, I think, likely to be true.' Smoke Smilie
I believe that is found in the introduction to LoTR, but I am ashamed to say I don't recall who was supposed to have written that, so I'll just guess Bilbo.
You have the location correct Turin. Happy Elf Smilie

Hint: the character was an expert on the subject of pipe-weed, having written extensively on it in the Red Book of Westmarch and he even regaled one king with his famous speech beginning with: 'It was Tobold Horn.....'.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>