Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Faramir said it to Eowyn when she wanted to leave the Houses of Healing and follow the Captains of the West to the Black Gate, in 'The Steward and the King' chapter of RotK.

Who said, "I would give a good deal for the feel of a strong drink in my throat, and for a soft bed after a good supper!" Question Smilie
sounds like a hobbit... so, Pippin, maybe?
It wasn't a hobbit, though it does sound like something your stereotypical hobbit would say. Happy Elf Smilie
now, that's a shock... but thinking about it I remember reading this sentence and thinking it funny that it wasn't said by a hobbit... so my next guess... someone of the fellows at their arrival at lothlorien... couldn't possibly have been aragorn?? (though that sentence would be quite unusual for a ranger...)
No, it was said decades earlier.
Orc Going Huh Smilie ok, now I've got a problem, no idea... it's time for me to search that up in the book now.
It was said to a hobbit almost 4 score years before the hobbits met Aragorn.
so was it Gandalf?????
No, Gandalf was camped down in the Vale with the Elves and Men.
Was it Gimli?
No Gimli wasn't anywhere near there, though at the time his father was in the neighborhood. But he didn't say it either.
Balin??
possibly Bombur?
Bombur it was, so Rivendellelf1977 gets to give us the next Tolkien quote to guess. Happy Elf Smilie
sorry it took so long
'Thank you!' said ________. 'But it is a greather honour to dangle at your tail, Gandalf. For one thing, in that postition one has a chance of putting a question a second time.'
Ohhhh… I think it’s Merry or Pippin… I’m gonna go with Merry. (And I’ll be so mad at myself if it’s Pippin… or someone else entirely.)
your right Eva lilith! so give us the next quote to guess!!!
"Whence come you?” he said. “A halfling, and in the livery of the Tower! Whence…?”
faramir?
Yep! That was indeed Faramir. Your turn!
Orc Grinning Smilie ok, but let me post one tomorrow, I'm way too tired today to find a good one... I'm sorry... but you'll get one tomorrow as soon as I'm home from school.
now, how about this one:

"I feel ready for everything," answered ___. "But most of all I should like to go walking today and explore the valley. I should like to get into those pine-woods up there."
Isn't that what Frodo said just before the gong, or whatever, anounced that it was time for Elrond's Council to meet? I seem to remember reading that night before last in Book 2 of FotR.
Paranoid Smilie perfectly right! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie so it's your turn now.
"I wish I had been there! I would have given them more than fireworks!"
that's difficult... I'll have a try: Strider about the nazgul at weathertop (or somewhere else...)??
Nope, wrong book.
ok, another guess... beorn, when he was told the story of the wolves and the company's tree-climbing?
You got it Ithil, so I quess it's your turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
"We were all at fault", said ___, "and but for your vigilance the Darkness, maybe, would already be upon us."
Those words were spoken by Elrond to Gandalf after the wizard had berrated himself for not trying to find out the truth of the ring sooner.

Now for a fresh quote.. who recognizes the orator of this line?

Quote:
They've more sense (in some ways) than you wandering hobbits have - more sense in their noses. For they sniff danger ahead which you walk right into; and if they run to save themselves, then they run the right way.
I'm going to guess without looking it up, but it sounds like something Tom Bombadil said about Merry's five ponies who showed up in the company of Tom's pony, Fatty Lumpkin, after Tom had rescued the hobbits from the Barrow-wight.

If the above is wrong, ignore the following. Who said: "and our beards will grow till they hang down the cliff to the valley before anything happens here."
Grond, you spotted the right person and the right place with Tom Bombadil.

Having just re-read The Hobbit your selected quote is fresh in my mind. Dwalin says that bit about beards while they are waiting on the doorstep of the Lonely Mountain.

Who remembers this line:

Quote:
But I am not such a man. Or I am wise enough to know that there are some perils from which a man must flee.
I think I have got it, but I'll wait until tomorrow in case someone else wants to take a crack at it.
It was part of Faramir's speech where he showed his quality to Sam.

Who said:
Quote:
Tall grows the grass there. In the wind from the Sea
The white lilies sway,
And the golden bells are shaken of mallos and alfirin
In the green fields of Lebennin,
In the wind from the Sea!
Was it Legolas?
Yes it was, he sang it during his tale of the ride from Erech to Pelargir which he recounted to Merry and Pippin during the chapter entitled 'The Last Debate' of Book 5, RotK.

Your turn Maydmarion. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said:

Quote:
Where will wants not, a way opens
Is that something attributed to Drogo Baggins by his son Bilbo? In The Hobbit , Bilbo was always spouting homilies that his father used to say. I don't remeber that exact wording, but that may be the fault of Rankin-Bass, for what I remember is, "Where there's a will, there's a way."
No - sorry Grondy
gandalf somewhere round moria?
though it does sound so much more hobbit-like... ummm... difficult.
I can be mistaken, Maydmarion, but I suppose Eowyn as Dernhelm could have said something like that to Merry
Yes, it was Dernhelm Elen. Happy Elf Smilie
Then it's my turn. Well, here it is:

Quote:
But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?

Meaning the book, of course.
a very beautiful sentence said about èowyn in the houses of healing. it's a very beautiful scene, too... all those wise men sitting there talking... but who said it... I don't think it was aragorn, right? so, gandalf???
No, it was Mithrandir Tongue Smilie

Go on, give us a quote!
Shocked Smilie how could I mix them up??? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

let's see...

Quote:
"Well, let him!" said ____ "Such a fool deserves to starve."
That was Bard in conversation with Bilbo Baggins before the battle of the five armies.

Gimme a sec to find a new quote.. I've got one in mind but I've got to look it up.
Allrighty, check to see if you recognise this line:

Quote:
"We must make ourselves the bait , though his jaws should close on us"
Sounds like something from 'The Last Debate', maybe said by Aragorn?
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>