Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Close but no cigar.
Gandalf - in the last debate
That's the one! Your turn.
Who said this....

Quote:
A vanimar, vanimalion nostari!
That was said by Treebeard in greeting to Celeborn and Galadriel. Who knows who said this:

Quote:
Verily, that way lies our hope, where sits our greatest fear. Doom hangs still on a thread. Yet hope there is still, if we can but stand unconquered for a little while.
Elrond?
Elrond is not the bringer of news (good or ill) that said the above phrase. Good guess though.
um... aragorn? no? maybe? huh?
Nope. Aragorn is also not the bringer of ill-news. Pssst.. that is a hint of the time and place in the book, hint hint.
all that ill news stuff makes you so much think of gandalf... that wasn't actually said by him?
Sorry, not sure what your message means. Are you guessing Gandalf?
Theoden?
Theoden's ears were in use but his lips wern't moving. Good try though Grond.
Quote:
all that ill news stuff makes you so much think of gandalf... that wasn't actually said by him?

Y'know, upon reading it again I think that could be considered a guess of Gandalf.

Congrats Ithil, Gandalf (who is named Lathspell or ill-news in the scene where the quote was spoken) is the speaker.

Your turn to post a quote.
ok, thanks... it indeed was to be a guess, sorry as the formulation doesn't seem to have been clear enough...

here's mine::
Quote:
I had not heard that folk of the Shire were so sweet-tongued. But I see you are an elf-friend; the light in your eyes and the ring in your voice tells it. ...
That was the fair lady Goldberry.

Who enlightened Frodo with the following line?

Quote:
"I doubt very much if your friends would be in danger if you were not with them! The pursuit would follow you and leave us in peace, I think."
Glorfindel!!

Whose words are these:
Quote:
The Elves have their own labours and their own sorrows, and they are little concerned with the ways of hobbits, or of any other creatures upon earth.
It was Gildor, when he met Frodo in the Shire, am I right, aren't I?!

Now try to guess who said these words:
Quote:
"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields, to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it?"
Elrond said this after Frodo said he would take the ring to Mordor

who said.......

Quote:
From the mouths of the sea the south wind flies, from the sandhills and the stones...
Legolas said it in his lament for Boromir.

Who said:
Quote:
'I used to be anxious when the shadow lay on Mirkwood, but when it removed to Mordor, I did not trouble for a while: Mordor is a long way away.'
Treebeard said this to Merry and Pippin at Wellinghall.

Whose words are
Quote:
There is much to tell, good and bad,yet it is mostly good: we have so far been fortunate, though we do not escape the shadow of these times. If you really wish to hear of us, I will tell you tidings gladly.

Okay, I just woke up and I can't be stuffed to look this up in the books.. so I'll take a guess:

I think it's the dwarf that is sitting next to Frodo in Rivendell, Gloin. Pretty sure.

Does anyone know who spoke the following:

Quote:
"You are quite old. As old as my uncle Iorlas, still I wager I could stand you on your head or lay you on your back."
It was Bergil

Let's see...
Quote:
All Isengard must be emptied; and Saruman has armed the wild hillmen and herd-folk of Dunland beyond the rivers, and these also he loosed upon us. We were overmastered. The shield-wall was broken. Erkenbrand of Westfold has drawn off those men he could gather towards his fastness in Helm's Deep.
That was spoken by Ceorl, a weary man with a dinted helm and cloven shield..

This should be an easy one:

Quote:
Nay, the guest who has escaped from the roof, will think twice before he comes back in by the door.
Too hard? There can't have been THAT many people held captive in middle earth..
sounds like something that gandalf could have said to saruman after he (saruman) is defeated. in case that's right somebody else may post a quote instead of me.
Ithil had the correct answer, it was what Gandalf said at the foot of Orthanc in answer to Saruman saying something like, "Gandalf old friend, why don't you come on up; we'll tip a few beers and settle this like the gentlemen we are, out of earshot of the rabble at your elbow."

Who said:
Quote:
"... to go back is to admit defeat, and face worse defeat to come."
Fairly certain that those words were said to Frodo by Gandalf at the prospect of giving up the quest and going back to Rivendell.

Who said the following:

Quote:
"Comfort me not with wizards. The fool's hope has failed. The enemy has found it, and now his power waxes; he sees our very thoughts, and all we do is ruinous."
Denethor said it to Pippin during the siege of Gondor as he waited over the bed of Faramir in the White Tower after leaving the defense of Minas Tirith up to Gandalf.

Who said:
Quote:
"Don't pretend that Goblins can't count. They can. ..."
Beorn

who said
"Give me a row of orc-necks and room to swing and all weariness will fall from me!"
Would that be Gimli?
Yes, that was spoken by Gimli.

And as this thread has been without a new quote for a while, I'll post one myself. Who spoke the following, and to whom was it spoken:

Quote:
"One who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters. You did rightly."
oops, forgot to check back...
Aragorn to merry and pip
Quote:
As soon as I clapped eyes on the little fellow bobbing and puffing on the mat I had my doubts. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar.
Could someone please close the quote tags in Elen and Maydmarion's posts?
u can do it ur self, u just type in wotever isnt closed, (open it again) and then close it. (i think)
Only the moderators can edit another persons posts and I believe I closed their quotes 24 hours ago. Happy Elf Smilie

And the quote is by Gloin in Bilbo's house when Thorin and Company were interviewing the hobbit for the job of retrieving the Treasure of Erebor, out from under Smaug's snout.

Who said:
Quote:
I immediately had a feeling that I was wanted back. Looking behind I saw a fire in the distance and made for it.
Gandalf right? and i was just saying that u can stop having everyone posts being in italics or whatever by doing that...do i need to say where he said that? cuz it just sounds so Gandalf you no? i would guess Council of Elrond...
It was Gandalf, after rescuing Thorin and Company from the three now stoned Trolls. Your turn Elrose.
ok...hard one so i'll say that its in FOTR
Who said: “Now we had better have it again.”?
Yarg! I know this was said by someone to Bilbo after he sang his song about Eärendil in Rivendell.. but I can't quite remember whom. I'll have to look it up.
Seems that it was the elf, Lindir, that said that line to Bilbo.

Let's see if any of you remember this line, who quipped it and to whom:

Quote:
Mercy! If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?
I think it was Gandalf to Merry after they left Isengard, yet before Pippin stole the Palantir. Of course this also is off the top of my head, so it could have been after that, to Pippin on their ride to Gondor, but I think it was probably the former.
i am lamost completely positive that it was to Pippin while Gandalf was riding Shadowfax away from the nazgul to Minas Tirith.
Quote:

Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory.out of fire...

who and where and why?
This was the song that was sung by the riders of the kings house at the burial of Théoden. It was written by Gléowine his minstrel, and was sung on horseback as the aforementioned riders rode around the barrow on the east-side of Barrowfield near Edoras.

Hmmm... gimme a minute to come up with a good quote.
Ah this one bring back fanciful memories, who knows the speaker:

Quote:
I have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.
Bilbo, I think.

Someone please post the new quote if I'm right.
Howzabout this one. Any guesses?

Quote:
Eowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!
King Eomer after finding the bodies of late King Theoden and his sister at the site of the Nazgul Lord's demise.

Quote:
'Courage is found in unlikely places'
Was it Gildor talking to Frodo??
Yes it was; your turn. Happy Elf Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>