Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Who said...

Quote:
Nay, cousin! they are not boys
Egads! It took me a while to find this one. I knew it was said by someone in Gondor, but darned if I could remember who, or when they said it.

After far too much reading I found that it was spoken by Ioreth to her kinswoman from Imloth Melui, who stood beside her.

Here's an easy one; who can tell the speaker:
Quote:
"This thing all things devours; birds, beasts, trees, flowers"
Gollum said it and Bilbo's answer was "Give me more time! Give me time!" which came out as "Time! Time!" and was the correct answer.

Who said
Quote:
I didn't ought to have left my blanket behind...
I'm going to guess, based on the bad grammar, that the previous quote was said by Sam. I think when he and Frodo are going to go to sleep and Sam keeps his master warm with his body as he's forgotten to bring his blankey. Handy guy to have around that Sam.

Anybody remember who said this silly one?
Quote:
"Great Elephants! You are not at all yourself this morning - you have never dusted the mantelpiece!"
Gandalf said it just before Bilbo ran handkerchiefless out the door singing, 'I'm late, I'm late For a very important date. No time to say "Hello", "Goodbye" I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!'

Who said:
Quote:
'Quite capable,' said __________, 'and more than a little. You made me laugh, you hobbit-lordlings, riding along with all those great people, so secure and so pleased with your little selves. ...'
reminds me of Saruman but probably not...
Yes it was Saruman as Sharkey, when the hobbits confronted him in the Shire upon the doorstep of Bag End.

Your turn, Elrose.
shweeet...

Quote:
For three days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off.

if u need a hint, heres *****
I thought this was supposed to be Tolkien related and maybe it is, or maybe my thought was wrong. Happy Elf Smilie

Anyway, the 'phone call' means it probably isn't Sherlock Holmes, though they did have those in his later years, but even then, they weren't as intrusive as this makes them out to be.

So I will guess: Douglas Adams.
nope! think J Leno replacing him in '92....talk show......
Okay, it was the guy Ed McMahon introduced with, "Heeeeeere's Johnny!," Johnny being 'The Great Karnak' who spelled his last name capital c-a-r-s-o-n.

Who said:
Quote:
This tale grew in the telling, until it became a history of the Great War ...
i dont know but it sounds like Tolkien to me
sooo

Quote:
there'd be no wars in the world if everyone joined in the show
No idea. Any chance we could get an answer to this one? My feline side is feeling close to death.
Cat Stevens?

yes!

someelse can goo
Alrighty, a quote for fans of the Silmarillion; Who is speaking to whom, and who are the creatures of whom are they are speaking? (I'm not sure if that is the proper use of the objective case of the word 'who'?)

Quote:
"Why dost thou attempt a thing which thou knowest is beyond thy power and thy authority? For thou has from me as a gift thy own being only, and no more; and therefore the creatures of thy hand and mind can live only by that being, moving when thou thinkest to move them, and if thy thought be elsewhere, standing idle. Is that thy desire?"
I'm guessing it is Eru speaking to Aluë about Aluë's Dwarf automatons which Aluë has surreptitiously made.
Indeed it was. Well played Grondy.
Who said:
Quote:
'A wandering Elf, a thrall escaped, whom Beleg met and comforted,' said ________. 'Yet once I was _________ son of _________, a lord of Nargothrond, until I went to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and was enslaved in Angband.'
I think those words may have been spoken by Turambar, also known as Túrin son of Húrin, but it may have been said at a different point in the story when Túrin was called something else? He had this habit of changing his name as his life progressed.

Then again I don't think he was a part of Nirnaeth Arnoediad, but it's been a while since I've read that bit. I need to go read the book again.
No this person says he is an Elf, while Turin was a Man. Orc Sad Smilie You have the right story though. Orc Grinning Smilie
Was it Gwindor, son of Guilin? That's my next best guess.
Oooh! Found the quote! Found the quote! It is Gwindor and he's speaking to Túrin.

Now for a fresh one:
Quote:
"If I hear not allowed much oftener I'm going to get angry."
I'm not sure of the speaker, but it sounds like the 'zasp' expressed by one of our heroes, near the completion of their great adventure, shortly after they re-entered the Shire and were confronted with another in a long list of the Chief's unreasonable rules.
Well spotted Grondy.

You certainly have the time and place right, and you're also correct that the quote was said by one of the returning hobbits. A clue to the speaker is in the lack of proper grammar in the words "much oftener" which are bound to be spoken by our friend Sam. Tolkien was a genius when he wrote dialogue for his characters. You learn about who they are by how they say things; Sam is a plain simple hobbit that hasn't had as much schooling as the others, but he has more heart than most.
As it has been about a week, I'll post a fresh quote. That's right fresh not frozen!

Quote:
"But Aragorn, is it then your errand to seek death? For that is all that you will find on that road. They will not suffer the living to pass."
That was said by the Lady Eowen of Rohan the night before the Grey Company departed Dunharrow for the Paths of the Dead. So who said:
Quote:
'But what then, Sam Gamgee, what then? When you get there, what are you going to do? He won't be able to do anything for himself.'
Wasn't he talking to himself? Sam I mean...
Yes he was; your turn Floyd_n_milan. Happy Elf Smilie
I offer a new quote to revive this neglected thread. Name the speaker of these words:

Quote:
"Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."

Sounds to me like the malicious words of a like minded sword. Can anyone remember its name?
I believe the words are those of Anglachel to Turin, and suspect Grondy's been reading Elric. Never got around to that one, though I knew a guy who swears by them, and was just reading the words of which I think Grondy is himself thinking over at wotmania. Me, I'm not big an anti-heroes, sorry.

Now then, what shall I quote? How 'bout something from my favorite book (and the first one I read: )

Quote:
Hello yourself, and see how you like it.

Oh, wait; you want Tolkien, don't you? Though the rules don't actually say that. ;-p We'll try a fairly simple one then, and save the other for extra credit:

Quote:
Death you can give me earned or unearned; but the names I will not take from you of baseborn, nor spy, nor thrall.

So, who said it, and if you really want to impress me, who said the first in his first appearance to the world?
Ooh, a chance to impress: Beren son of Barahir & Huck Finn. Love the description of Huck before that quote, and there are times where I would want that kind of freedom from the world.

Who said the following (in the book):
Quote:
"the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air."
That must be Treebeard to the company who stopped at Isengard on their way home.

Who said:
Quote:
"He is not at home today (or tonight, or whatever it is), I do believe." Question Smilie
*pops in to pat Mungo on the back and say, "well done, sir."*
Oh pshaw..

The little burglar hobbit Bilbo Baggins (my grandson) said those words about dear Smaug not being at home. Perhaps someone knows who wrote the following:

Quote:
"We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and the second hall."
Balin, son of Dwalin.

OK, here we go, something to keep it moving:
Quote:
'You come at last,' she said. 'I have waited too long.'

'It was a dark road. I have come as I could,' he answered.'
I don't think so Morambar, Balin had previously fallen in Dimril Dale, days before the attack on the Chamber of Records. So Mungo's quote was probably written by Ori's hand, for Gimli recognized his earlier writing.

I'll have to think a while on your above quote.
Oops, what I get for jumping the gun and not looking up, I s'pose, sorry. In that case, I'll fall back on Dwalin, and if that's still not it; I'll retire from the lists for now.
Grondy's got it with Ori, as Gimli says about him "He could write well and speedily, and often used the elvish characters."

As for Morambar's quote I havn't got a clue, will have to do some pondering on it perhaps.
Well, Grondy was right, so it becomes rather moot, since it wasn't really my place to offer a quote. But I think I can clear things up for ya'll if I append the rest of the exchange, which I deliberately redacted as a give away:

Quote:
"But you are too late," said [one speaker.] "They are lost."

"I know it," he said. "But you are not."

But [one speaker] said: "Almost. I am spent. I shall go with the sun. Now little time is left: if you know, tell me! How did she find him?"

But [other speaker] did not answer, and they sat beside the stone, and did not speak again; and when the sun went down [one speaker] sighed and clasped his hand, and was still; and [other speaker] knew that she had died. He looked down at her in the twilight and it seemed to him that the lines of grief and cruel hardship were smoothed away. "She was not conquered," he said; and he closed her eyes, and sat unmoving beside her as the night drew down....
Finally found it; the conversation was the last one between Túrin Turambar's parents, Morwen Eledhwen and Húrin. I thought it was in Chapter 21, 'Of Túrin Turambar', in The Silmarillion, but it was in Chapter 22, 'Of the Ruin of Doriath'.

Who Said:
Quote:
'I love him. He's like that, and sometimes it shines through, somehow. But I love him, whether or no.'
That was Sam of Frodo unless I'm totally losing it, but I'm still retaining a little residual guilt from the last one (good job, Grondy; didn't even think about it being with Hurins delivery of the Nauglafring rather than Turin Turambar) so first come, first served; someone else can have my turn. Assuming I'm NOT totally losing it, of course. ;-p

EDIT: obviously it was OF Frodo not TO Frodo, sorry. Sam may be grammatically challenged at times, but I don't think he'd confuse "him" with "you."
It was Sam, but he murmered it to himself as he watched Frodo sleeping while Gollum was away hunting rabbit with which Sam would later make 'Rabbit Stew Sans Taters'.

Someone else may post us the next 'Who Said Quotation' from Tolkien's books to guess.
Who said: "... For you at least I am grieved, feeling for your shame. How comes it that you can endure such company? ..." Question Smilie
I gotta say Beleg Cuthalion to Turin Turambar. Would that had been the worst of the grief from their reunion. Morgoth sucks.

But I'm too tired to think of a quote and have to go to Houston early manana. Assuming, as always, that I got it right. Wink Smilie "Here for today, gone tomorrow; next, please."
Nope, wrong age Morambar; try again. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
*hand flailing in the air* OOOooh ooh!

That was said on the doorstep of Isengard to Gandalf by Saruman. Quite the insult to "Theoden Horsemaster" and his companions.

Any takers on this quote:
Quote:
"Caves they say! Caves! Holes to fly to in time of war, to store fodder in!"
That would be the future Lord of Aglarond (of the Glittering Caverns), who is more commonly known as Gimli, son of Gloin.

Who said: the following?
Quote:
Farewell sweet earth and northern sky,
for ever blest, since here did lie
and here with lissom limbs did run
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Hint: It is the first four lines of 'The Song of Parting' and is to be found in The Silmarillion
I think that may have been sung by Beren, but I'm not sure. Perhaps some reading might enlighten me. Read Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>