Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Its is the gaffer speaking and it is about Frodo but does not concern his moving! As for daddy Oldbucks I never heard of him. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie You really are funny Grondy Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Well the Oldbucks were an old hobbit family; however, by the time of the War of the Ring, they had long since moved to the Brandywine River and changed their name to Brandybuck. Still the "Daddy" was right, it was to Daddy Twofoot; and he and the Gaffer were discussing one Mr. Bilbo Baggins and his nephew, Frodo about an upcoming birthday party. Now isn't that a better answer? I had to look it up, but I didn't use the index; I went directly to the text.
Yes that better Daddy Grondy! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Hokay then, who said:

'Does he now?' said _________ looking puzzled. 'Though I'm sure I don't know why he should, sitting in his big chair up in his great castle, hundreds of miles away.'
That must be Barliman Butterbur when the hobbits were on their return journey and informing him that there was now a King and he would soon pay attention to the Northern Kingdom.
Aye, your turn.
Who said and where:

Well, I can remember three nights there for certain, and I seem to remember several more, but I would take my oath that it was never a whole month.
Merry to Aragorn after they left Lothlorien, and having noticed the Moon's phase was off, according to their reckoning?
The setting is right but not the characters.
Let me see, Merry and Pipin were in Boromir's canoe, Sam and Frodo were in Aragorn's, and Gimli and Legolas had the luggage in theirs.

Gimli to Legolas?

Nope. But you're nearly there! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Sam to Frodo? I'll look it up tomorrow.
Bingo! Your Turn! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Who said and where?
'Farewell for this time!' he said. 'I have duty now till sundown, as have all the others here, I think.'
Beregond to Merry after they had eaten at the Inn?
Me thinks Merry was at that time, riding with the Rohirim. Orc Grinning Smilie
Was it Pippin with Beregon then? Mistaken identity.... Orc Grinning Smilie
Yup, Thorin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said, to whom, and where?

Dark have been my dreams of late," ..... said, "But I feel as one new-awakened. I would that you had come before...."
Purely a guess: Théoden to Gandalf in Edoras after Saruman's spell had been removed?
Absolutely correct! Well done Grondy. Your turn. Orc Grinning Smilie
Who said and where: "The forest goes on for ever and ever and ever in all direction! Whatever shall we do?"
My guess will be Bilbo to the dwarves in Mirkwood when he had climbed on a tree to see if the forest was soon coming at an end. However, it also reminds me of another situation but as double guessing will not be fair I'll wait for a response for the above answer.
Right situation, wrong answer. Elf Confused Smilie
Is it Bombur?

(It's been a long time since I last re-read the Hobbit. I feel that it is a dwarf if it is not Bilbo and if this one is wrong I'll have to check the book. The other situation it made me think of was when Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin were lost in the Old Forest)
I'll just give it to you, it was the collective "they", the Dwarves of Thorin's Company after Bilbo came down and told them what he had seen from the tree tops. Thorin's turn now. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said, why and where:

"Whether they are good or evil, or have nothing to do with us at all, we must go down at once."
Gandalf talking about the crebain when the fellowship is on carathras.
Who said, "Be content that we have returned; for only under an oath of silence was this permitted"?
Sounds like something someone would say on their return from a visit in Gondolin. Or maybe from a bandit hideout?
You're right on one of them, but which and who said it?
Aredhel, the White Lady of the Noldor upon her return with her son Maeglin to Gondolin?
Nope. Would you like a hint?
Sure, I've guessed enough already. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Think of my name (rhyme thyme?) plus some pesky eagles.
Gandalf to Thorin on the Carrock?

If it came out of The Children of Hurin I won't know it: I didn't care to read anymore of that sad tale than what was in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
Sorry about the lack of an answer, I forgot about this thread. The quote was said by Hurin to his father when he and Huor returned from Gondolin. Try this one:

"Cast the stones of your pride into the loud river, that the creeping evil may not find the gate."
Pure speculation: Veronwë to Tuor before one of the seven gates of Gondolin.
Nope. Correct age though.
Túrin to Orodreth about throwing down the bridge to Nargothrond so Glaurung and Morgoth's army couldn't sack the city.
Correct.
Who said to whom, about what, and where? 'Better luck if I'd thought of it sooner.'
Not sure, but I thinks it's from Sam to Frodo when he was talking about how he didn't think of the rope given to him in lothlorien when they were climbing down a cliff in the Emyn Muil. (I know I botched that spelling btw).
Yes, that is the correct answer and also the correct spelling. Turin's turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said, "Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"?
Was it Sam after overhearing Frodo's and Gildor's conversation near Woody End and having remembered what Gandalf had said earlier?
No, but very close.
It was Frodo to Gildor Inglorion right after Gildor said 'Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards...'
Correct
Where did who say to whom? 'Lands will lie open to you eastward that have long been closed.'
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>