Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Aragorn to Treebeard at Isengard.
Yup, the second time they met; this was when the Fellowship was returning home after the Ring and Sauron were destroyed.

Turin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
till Turin come shall i give one?..........this is it....one of my favorite

where,who to whom:"Advice is a dangerous gift,even from the wise to the wise,and all course may run ill."
Galadriel to Frodo near her mirror?
i didn't look.........but according to my remembrance it's not right........shall i say the answer or anyone going try? Elk Grinning Smilie
Okay then, Gildor said it to Frodo near the Woody End the night before they had mushrooms with Farmer Maggot.
yeah your Correct......it's your turn Grondy... Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Who said and where, 'That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it was still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head.'
Sam said to Frodo on the boat traveling down the Anduin.
hey Turin you haven't close Bold.........sorry to disturb.....oh i think Grondy toooo Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Yup, it was Grondy who used a "/i" instead of a "/b" to end his post yesterday: all fixed now.

And yes, Turin had the correct answer and it is his turn.
Who said "Who now shall fear the Balrogs for all of their terror? See before us the accursed ones who for years uncounted have tortured the children of the Noldor and now set a fire to our back with their shooting. Come all ye of ___ _______ __ _____ and we shall smite them for their evil."

(Note: Please forgive any mistakes in this quote, I do not have the book this is in with me and thus it is from memory only. Also, the blanks do not have to be answered them, they are simply words I left out because they are a give-away).
Was that the leader of the Dwarves in one of the Battles of Beleriand? (Or was it the Dragons they fought without getting burned? I haven't reread The Silmarillion for ages.)
No, this quote isn't from the Silmarillion. It is from LT2. Good Luck.
Sorry, you've stumped me and I don't even remember where my copies of The Lost Tales are hidden. I read them once and tend to ignore them, not being interested in the evolution of the Professor's tales as he grew older. There were too many names in The Silmarillion and The Lost Tales just perpetuated my unease.
I share your distaste for the Lost Tales, except for a couple of chapters my favorite of which is The Fall of Gondolin. The quote was said by Rog of the Hammer before he and all of his house forsook escape back to the city and decided to fight on the plain and kill as many of the enemy as they could.
Do you want to pose another quote Turin?
Who said, "Well, I'm back."
Ah, that would be Master Samwise Gamgee to his family upon his return from the Grey Havens after seeing Mister Frodo off on his next great adventure.
Nice job.
Who said, 'Need brooks no dely, yet late is better than never...And mayhap in this time shall the old saw be proved truer than ever before since men spoke with mouth.'?
Sounds like Theoden when the messengers of Gondor told him that he would arrive late. Ok it's been a long time since I last read the book. As from tomorrow I will be at it again. Orc Grinning Smilie
No, wrong person and time, but the flavor is sort of similar.
I think Eomer said it when they were about a day's ride from Minas Tirith and talking to the Wild Men.
You got it Turin, though it was a little later when they found the bodies of the Red Arrow messengers who were kept from returning to Denethor with the message that the Rohirrim were coming to the rescue.

Turin's turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said, "Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" and to whom was it said?
I believe that was the NazgŻl Lord to Gandalf at Minas Tirith's broken Gate, just before the sounding of the Rohirrim's battle horns.
Correct.
Who said: 'Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft!'
Complete guess: Treebeard?
Right race, wrong Ent. Try again.
Quickbeam
Yes, also called Bregalad who resembled and cared for the rowan trees. He entertained Merry and Pippin during the latter part of the Entmoot.

Turin's turn again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said, "But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are"?
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the Mountains and the Sea.

His sword was long his lance was keen,
his shining helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in Mordor where the shadows are.

Sam sang this as they were approaching Weathertop. After hearing him sing it on the BBC Radio adaptation of LotR, I memorized it; that haunting tune comes to mind every time I see those words.
Correct. I haven't heard the BBC version of it, is there any internet resource I could go to to hear it?
As another side note,I liked the "The road goes ever on and on" song as well as the one Viggo Mortensen sings at his coronation in PJ's RotK and the poem of the duel between Sauron and Finrod so well that I've memorized them. What other songs have you memorized Grondmaster?
I don't know about free online copies of the BBC productions, but you can get them on tape or CD from Amazon and BBC America. I also memorized Sam's finding Frodo song In western lands beneath the Sun...

Who said: 'But don't let's worry about it nowólet's have some real News! Tell me all about the Shire!'
Bilbo to Frodo in Rivendell.
Correct Turin, your turn once again. Happy Elf Smilie
Who said "Petty victories will prove profitless at the last, for thus Morgoth learns where the boldest of his enemies are to be found, and gathers strength great enough to destroy them."
Just a guess, but might it be King Thingol (ElwŽ) who kept his distance from Fťanor and sons?
Nope. Would you care for a hint?
Yes please. Happy Elf Smilie
It has to do with the elvish kingdom my namesake helped destroy (inadvertently).
The Petty Dwarf MÓm?
No, it's an elf.
Has got to be King Finrod of Nargothrond then.
No, give up yet? Smile Smilie
If it is only from The Children of Hurin, then I'll give up, but if it is from The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales I'll continue. I have chosen not to read the former book as I don't like tragedies and that story is certainly one big tragedy. So, I don't need another retelling of it even if it is fleshed out in the new book. I like my heroes to die either of old age or in battle, not by their own hand or sword. Maybe it's just me or maybe it is my age, but that's where I'm at. Elf Winking Smilie
Honestly. I have no idea what book that quote is from, but I do remember Gwindor said it when arguing against Turin concerning Nargothrond's warfare policy.
I'll let you have the next turn Grondmaster.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>