Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Climax, and anti climax

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Hobbit > Climax, and anti climax   
In our current Reading Test, on the hobbit, do you think that the climax was that Smaug started ravaging the town until he was shot dead in Fire and Water?

The second climax (just making sure) is the Battle of Five armies, sorry for the inconvieniance, but 100's are good!

:angel
I think the final climax in The Hobbit was Bilbo's homecoming where he found an auction taking place in which his cousins were selling off all his worldly goods. Most of Tolkien's action chapters have a climax and were followed by a calming restfull chapter.
THAT'S the climax? It wasn't that climatic to me. But I guess it kind of was. But I'm still saying the Battle of the Five ARmies. And Smaug ravaging!!!! Is it possible to have two climaxes? Wouldn't one still be main and the other minor?
I agree with Loni. Just when Smaug was defeated I thought it was all over and all would go home and live happity ever after, then WHAM! (not the band) Tolkien throws a huge battle in my face!
Yeah, that doesn't strike me as a climax at all (Bilbo coming home to his belongings being auctioned off). It's more of a denouement. Smaug's attack could be considered a rising action to the climax of the Battle of Five Armies, but it could also be considered the climax and the Battle of Five Armies considered a resolution. It all depends on how you look at it. Sorry if I'm a bit analytical about this...I'm an English major.
Well Grondy said the FINAL climax, not the ultimate climax, just the last of many. Wink Smilie
True. I suppose it is a mini-climax, like the battle at the end of Lord of the Rings against the Big People. I guess that wasn't really mini though, was it? I guess I'm just trying to say that it wasn't as plot-related as the other climaxes in the story.
Your over analysing the book. Stupid school. They ruin things that would be very interesting if they would just look at them how they are. The Hobbit is a very good book. Why are we asking more of it. It fills its purpose: to be interesting. When you read too much into something it becomes just another science project that's due tomorrow that you forgot about, work on till 2 am, and then you ruin it by dropping it on your way to class. The final climax may even have been Bilbo taking the Arkenstone to the Elves and Bard. If it's a good book, what does it matter?( If I ever seen anything I write being taught in a public or private school in a way that takes away from the entire point I will cancel further printing and have the writing banned! The whole point of most of my writing is that you have to find your own way to do things, make your own path. Schools teach people to "Do as I say because tht makes it easier on me! We were better off growing vegetables and herding sheep. Now were all educated to the point where we have almost no personality. Most people I know are all the same person in different rapping paper. Fortuneately, none of these people are LOTR fans, so everyone on this site has some personality. If they didn't I'd leave. )
You go Ar-edain37!!! Nothing ruins something more than studying it to death. How did Tolkien put it?
Quote:
" ... And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
When teachers force students to analyze The Hobbit, all its magic is lost in a cloud of terminology. Teacher Smilie
Quote:
"... And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

Tell that to my chemistry and physics teachers. Why do we need to know about molecules and atoms and other such hoobalahooba?

Anyways, according to me, The Battle of the Five Armies and the death of Thorin Oakenshield is the climax. The slaying of Smaug is just like a diversionary tactic used to digress the readers. And then, the battle of the Five Armies is built up on the death of Smaug because Tolkien had to put the armies of Elves, Men and Dain Ironfoot's fighters into play.
Grondmaster said:
Quote:
I think the final climax in The Hobbit was Bilbo's homecoming where he found an auction taking place in which his cousins were selling off all his worldly goods.

I loved that part, it was very entertaining and especialy that the bul-bagginses didn't want to believe he was alive Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
When teachers force students to analyze The Hobbit, all its magic is lost in a cloud of terminology.

But there is a kind of analyzing that's not forced upon students in schools. A kind of sorting through, a thoughtful pondering, a meditating on the words and plots and poetry, an appreciating of the small things in each chapter, which is not "breaking" a thing to find out what it is.

Let us not forget that even if breaking a thing to find out what it is is horrid, the actual 'finding out of what a thing is' is NOT a horrid thing, it's actually a good idea that can lead to enjoying the thing better, loving it better.

I think teachers and school curriculums "force" analysis because there IS good in knowing a story and a person's writing better than most people understand it on a first reading. The final goal is good; the methodology is not so great, and often leads to the wrong end (which is that students dislike reading, instead of enjoy it!).