Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: your favourite dwarf?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Hobbit > your favourite dwarf?   [1] [2] [3] >>
I have always Thorin the most he was the most, he was my favourite but who is your`s?

Orc Going Huh Smilie
I think Thorin would be the choice with me too... But i think the next runner ups would be Dain (from the Iron Mountains) and Gimli.
My favourite dwarf is Grumpy.
I Yes, and after Grumpy should be Dopey followed by Durin the Deathless; though if we are limited to the Dwarves of The Hobbit, then I guess Balin would be my choice, for I think he was Bilbo's favorite.
Telchar, whom for the longest time I thought was a Gnome of Eressea rather than a Dwarrow of Nogrod. Forger of Angrist, Narsil and (this last was news to me, but Wikipedia insists it's so) the Dragon Helm of Dor-lomin; how much would Middle-earth be different without him?
I like Thorin too!He was brave and wise but he could be snoby at times don't you think? Elf Confused Smilie
i like Bombur, hes the lazy one and the most fat, cracks me up everytime, but to be serious Thorin II Oakenshield, King under the Mountain. Broke my heart when he died Very Sad Smilie Orc Sad Smilie
I cried buckets as well when he died. But he brought his pain upon himself. He was just so obsessed.
I suppose, well it is hard. Balin and then Gimli. For all Gimli was included in the book I still did not learn enough about the real h im, the depth of him to satisfy me.
I was not truly fond of the dwarves if I am to be honest. While I admired them I did not identify with them
Quote:
For all Gimli was included in the book I still did not learn enough about the real h im, the depth of him to satisfy me.

To understand a Dwarf, you'd have to be a Dwarf yourself, as even more than Elves they usually keep to themselves and never leave their mountain realms or underground halls, safe to trade some of their goods.

The Free Peoples of Middle-earth knew only a few words in Dwarven language ("Khzad" being one of them) and hardly knew anything of the Dwarves' origins and beliefs (which is why there are a lot of tales about their afterlife, like that they would turn to stone, etc).

It seems that the information about the Dwarves in the Appendices, may all have been revealed by Gimli himself to the writer of it (I believe that section was part of Red Book of the Westmark), for instance it was Gimli who partly revealed the mystery of Dwarven women - he named Ds as being Thorin's sister.

Lucky though, that Tolkien's dwarves are benevolent, unlike the original Dwarves of Nidavellir from Nordic mythology, who are sly and cunning and whose crafts tend to cause their buyers quite some harm.
my favourite drawf is the one from Austin Power movies...
Quote:
Lucky though, that Tolkien's dwarves are benevolent, unlike the original Dwarves of Nidavellir from Nordic mythology, who are sly and cunning and whose crafts tend to cause their buyers quite some harm.

Well, I think Mm and the other petty Dwarves (Noegyth Nibin) might fit that pattern.
I learned to love( despite not really understanding him) Gimli through his growing relationship with Legolas.And I was astonished really at the depth of passion Gimli showed at the death of his relatives deep within the majestic mountain realm
But being the Elf that I am at heart, I cannot conceive or wanting to make imitation everything underground that mimicks the sun, moon stars, life above ground. It gives me such a dark lost feeling. So for that reason I don't identify with the dwarves. Thoran Oakenshield, for all that I have just said and Gimli are nontheless very very interesting and loveable in their own dwarvish ways.
I don't know if i could name a favourite dwarf mostly because i never gave them much attention and liked them as much as Elves and men. I definitely can tell you my most hated dwarf, Mm... Hey I have my reasons!

I'd say my favourite is a toss up between Gimli and Thorin, mostly because from all i have read of Tolkien's work, which is most of his writings, those 2 are the only 2 dwarves you can actually learn of their personality and character. The personality and deeds of all other dwarves you read about is pretty vague at best.

I wish more was told about Azaghl (if there is a decent story about him let me know please) I might consider him a contender with Gimli and Thorin, but since there is not i will not.

Also the Durins have always held a little interest for me... about as much as a dwarf can hold.
Oh yes, good old Azaghal! I've always been interested in him too. The way he died was rather heroic and it seemed to be written in a fashion that indicates there is some wondrous complexity or story behind this character's person. But I have not been able to find anything on this old dwarf either.

But my favourite Dwarf is Gimli, for his gruffness and his friendship with the elves. I mean, not many dwarves were that friendly with other races...He is funny, as well. I can see why PJ decided to use him as one of the clowns of the movie. In the book, he was always so stolid and hardy, and yet he would say things about the caves that would move any heart. Of the non-hobbits in the book, I think he is quite humourous. Certainly funnier than Legolas or Boromir, yet lso tough like Aragorn or Gandalf.
His dedication to Galadriel sure is hilarious...
Now why do you say that his dedication is Hilarious? That you should even say that makes me smile.
Why should he not be swept away by the splendour and beauty of her. Did the dwarves not love metals, gold, silver, and did she not shine in her beauty like them?
And besides, after hanging about lady dwarves( I am trying to say this in the nicest way, I am sure they were all darling) someone like Galadriel could have put him into a sugar coma, don't you think" Smile Smilie
It's okay, I just prefer the Evening over the Morning... I've always been a nocturnal person.
Yes I can see why. Did not Legolas think that about Arwen Evenstar?
What has this got to do with The Hobbit? Gimli and Durin are okay as they are Dwarves, but Arwen and Galadriel aren't. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Grondy is feeling Grumpy tonight; must be the Christmas Season Blues kicking in. Orc Sad Smilie
Well since Galadriel had an infatuation towards Dwarves (note her speech about Kheled-zaram etc in the Lothlorien chapter of LOTR), I believe her presence in this thread is not so inappropriate... as for Arwen, since she's Galadriel's granddaughter there's a fair chance she inherited this same 'weakness'... :-P
I have also found the admiration for Galadriel natural and not really humourous.

But since Grondy is not happy with Galadriel in this thread, I shall stop talking there.

Oh and since this discussion is restricted to the Hobbit, and the Dwarves in that book, I do need to ask the question: How can anyone ever tell those Dwarf brothers with their awfully similar names and their awfully similar personalities apart?
Quote:
How can anyone ever tell those Dwarf brothers with their awfully similar names and their awfully similar personalities apart?

Because they wear different coloured hats.
Good one, although I was hoping for a more practical answer for us people who know these Dwarves only through books.
i'll say that my favourite dwarf is durin the deathless. this is because ever since i read the hobbit i have been intrigued by him and i may say that tolkien sucessfully awoke our interest with his tales of durin, the wars of moria, etc... and also the fact that they were made by mahal (aule) my favourite vala.

i can also say that all the other great dwarves (spelled according to tolkien) are descended from him although it is true that we do not have much information about the other 6 house of the dwarves. for e.g we got thorin II, dain, gimli, gloin, etc.. from his line although some were not from the ruling line. also an important part has been reserved for the dwarves after the last battle where they will held in rebuilding arda and at least they know their fate beyond the end of the world!
Quote:
Good one, although I was hoping for a more practical answer for us people who know these Dwarves only through books.

FYI, the 12 companions in The Hobbit were distinguished from each other by means of different coloured hats, so I believe my answer was quite practical.
You think I can see the Dwarves?

And you've still got the cheek to talk about practical...
Quote:
You think I can see the Dwarves?

In your imagination, by means of JRRT's wonderful imagery.
I like Gimli the best out of the dwarven race.
But what happens to dwarves after they die?
"The worms crawl in; the worms crawl out; the worms play pinochle on your snout." Actually I think they turn to dust or stone.
It doesn't matter much what happens to their bodies once they're cast into stone; what's more important is what happens to their souls. I like to think they have a special section in the Halls of Mandos of their own.
And I've always been under the impression that they would one day come back out of the Halls of Mandos to help Aule rebuild the world or something.
Yeah the dwarves go to special halls set apart for them by mahal at least from their own account.

and grondy the turning to dust and stone stuff comes from tales from other people who know no more of dwarves that an elf (not meaning any offence). this arose because the dwrves sat so little about themselves that the other people have invented those stories.
My favorite dwarf is oin.
I cant explain why though.
He is just cool.
Quote:
Leelee
Yes I can see why. Did not Legolas think that about Arwen Evenstar?

I think it was Eomer who had that little argument with Gimli but i may be mistaken.
Quote:
Cloveress
And I've always been under the impression that they would one day come back out of the Halls of Mandos to help Aule rebuild the world or something.

Yes i believe you are right there, i remember reading something like that i cannot remember where, it may be in Unfinished Tales or in The Book of Lost Tales part I or part II. I believe it's the latter though because i remember Tolkien mentioning things about the last battle a few times in those 2 books. I really like how he mentioned Trin and Neniel and how they are bathed in some bath of fire to cleanse themselves of all their hurt, and in the end Trin is the one who slays Morgoth.

I haven't read The Hobbit it quite a few years now but I believe Virumor is correct about each of the dwarves, whom accompanied Bilbo on his journey, having different colour hats. Doesn't Tolkien mention it when they all arrive at Bilbo's home?
From 'An Unexpected Party' of The Hobbit:

Dwalin: very bright eyes, blue beard, dark-green hood
Balin: very old, golden belt, white beard, scarlet hood
Kili: (youngest,) silver belt, yellow beard, blue hood
Fili: (youngest,) silver belt, yellow beard, blue hood
Dori: purple hood
Nori: purple hood
Ori: grey hood
Oin: brown hood
Gloin: white hood
Bifur: yellow hood
Bofur: yellow hood
Bombur: very fat, pale green hood
Thoren Oakenshield: haughty, sky-blue hood with silver tassel

So the hood color evidence is inconclusive as far as identifying the differences between three sets: Kili and Fili, and Dori and Nori, and Bifur and Bofur.*

* Cloveress points out below that I failed to add this last pair in the above sentence, which I have now edited to correct.
And Bifur and Bofur...

*giggles* I love it when somebody proves Vir wrong (cuz I'm just a jealous braindead teen who can't do so myself). Go Grondy!
But I wasn't trying to prove Virumor wrong, just trying to set the record straight for everyone involved.

And I was brain-dead when I skipped over those yellow cloaks; I have now corrected my post above.
Well, it does serve the same purpose. Imagine what they've do with baby-dwarves who decided to be naughty and swapped hoods with each other. I wouldn't wish to babysit!
Quote:
*giggles* I love it when somebody proves Vir wrong (cuz I'm just a jealous braindead teen who can't do so myself). Go Grondy!

I was just trying to help you...
That might be so, but what's your definition of help? Wiggle Smilie
GIMLI indeed Smile Smilie I love his personality..proud of his kind and a bit stubborn (reminds me of Vir sometimes Smile Smilieand a great hero with his axe
He was also the most fortunate dwarf, getting to go to Valinor, and meet Aule.
Looks like a Virumor bashing topic now...

Hmm, not that bad of an idea,... I'll get the tomatoes, you get the squash... Very Evil Smilie Bad! Smilie
Quote:

Of course ..in a way I envy him ..getting to Valinor was maybe his greatest achievement ever
Maybe, but I think that overcoming his differences, and becoming an Elf-Friend, was his greatest achievement. I mean, after all, that was what got him to Valinor in the first place.
Quote:
Maybe, but I think that overcoming his differences, and becoming an Elf-Friend, was his greatest achievement. I mean, after all, that was what got him to Valinor in the first place.

Big Laugh SmilieYou are not suppose to twist my words around Fionw ..Becoming Legolas friend must have made Gimli prouder at the end of things Smile Smilie
Of course. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie I'd be proud to have such a friend. But isn't that what got him there? Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:

Well, that is not 100% sure.

Quote:
Hmm, not that bad of an idea,... I'll get the tomatoes, you get the squash...

He is without sin, cast the first tomato... and keep in mine that the castee is a Council Member... *ominous glare*.
Quote:
Well, that is not 100% sure.

Then what is for sure Vir ? Is there another reason why he could ?
  [1] [2] [3] >>