Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: who is the topicAuthorID of this poem?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > who is the topicAuthorID of this poem?   
Bilbo does tell Frodo that he wrote them himself, a long time ago, when Aragorn first told him about himself. Bilbo was a poet and scholar. I see no reason why he couldn't have written it, and I don't think he would have told Frodo he had unless he actually had.

Gandalf had to be careful what he wrote in his letter unless it fell into the wrong hands. He needed Frodo to trust Aragorn, without revealing in the letter too much about who he actually was. Although the poem would have been written after Frodo had last seen Bilbo, I think Gandalf used it to give Frodo another hobbit's perspective of him. Anyone, including spies of Mordor, could have written the letter, but a poem written by Bilbo would have a style that Frodo might recognise and believe.
I think it might be Aragorn....well it says so at http://www.tolkien.cro.net/talesong/retking.html

well well! I hope I have brought SOME light on this question!
Goodness, it never occurred to me to think Bilbo would lie about a poem he'd written! Smile Smilie

That's basically what Bilbo does, as Valedhelgwath points out: he's a scholar and a poet. A great many of the poems in LOTR are Bilbo's. Remember that when Frodo catches up with him in Rivendell he's writing yet another historical poem, and that there, too, it's associated with Aragorn's lineage (also with Elrond). Bilbo also translated the "Fall of Gil-galad" into poetry in the common tongue. Historical poetry is Bilbo's hobby.

Bilbo obviously loves Aragorn very much, and vice versa, to judge by their interactions. They would have known each other for about 16 years by the time Frodo got to Rivendell. Only Bilbo's old age kept him from coming to Aragorn's wedding, which he'd been hoping for, for a very long time.

Aragorn's age was 87 at the time of Gandalf's letter.
Quote:
Goodness, it never occurred to me to think Bilbo would lie about a poem he'd written!

Yeah I am sorry about this.
And I was Read Smilie this scene yesterday night again
Quote:
Bilbo does tell Frodo that he wrote them himself, a long time ago, when Aragorn first told him about himself.

and I
I
I
I
I

I better had read at first the text again befor I ask such a question Okay ?! promise I go and Read Smilie Read Smilie Read Smilie and study *g*

Bey and thanks for answering this silly question Bey
Quote:
Remember that when Frodo catches up with him in Rivendell he's writing yet another historical poem, and that there, too, it's associated with Aragorn's lineage (also with Elrond).
Also with Elrond! Good Lord sepdet, the poem Bilbo had the chutzpah to write, was about Elrond's father, forget that he was also the long dead great-great to-the-umpteenth great grandfather of Aragorn. Pixie Smilie That's why Aragorn thought it was cheeky of Bilbo to read it in Elrond's house. Of course this may have only been a gentle jab on Aragorn's part as a way of kidding Bilbo. Needless to say however, the Elves took the poem in good grace and because they loved Bilbo so, one of them asked him to repeat it.

Oh, and my above umbrage was contrived. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie