Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Why can we see Sauron with the ring on??

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > Why can we see Sauron with the ring on??   
Well the Ring gives might/power according to the wielder of the Ring. If Gandalf, Galadriel or Elrond would wear it they would recieve a big part of the power of the Ring because they were very powerful theirselves.
So, if Frodo wears the Ring, he wouldn't recieve such a big power that Gandalf and the rest recieved because he wasn't such a mighty lad like them. I think the power that the Ring gives to Frodo and all other less powerful inhabitants of Middle-Earth, is the power of Invisibility. For instance, if Saruman would wear the Ring, he'd also be able to control the power of the three Rings like Sauron, because Saruman is also quite a mighty Maia.

Gandalf tells Frodo, when he wakes up in Rivendell, that there is an "other side", a wraith or spirit world, as opposed to the solid world. The Ring doesn't so much cause invisibility, as that it drags the wearer into the spirit world if he wasn't there already. So Frodo gets dragged into the Wraith world where he can see the Ringwraiths clearly, and where Glorfindel is a shining figure of light. Sauron, like the wearers of the Three Rings, exists in both worlds already, so putting on a Ring doesn't pull him to "the other side".
Quote:
Sauron, like the wearers of the Three Rings, exists in both worlds already, so putting on a Ring doesn't pull him to "the other side".
This is probably be why Tom Bombadil didn't disappear when he wore the One Ring.
This is a question that I have struggled over many times. Your explinations really do help. Thanks Nell and Grondy. That really helps a lot.
Mellie, I also have gotten people mixed up by not actually taking-in their whole name and attributing their posts to someone else. :elfembar: Makes me feel small at the time, but I don't dwell on it, because such things aren't intentional or even Froidian slips.

So don't worry about it Mellie. Happy Elf Smilie

Oh, and 'Glad to have been of service', but as sepdet did all the work, she should be given the credit on this one, as I just tagged along applying the same logic to Tommy B. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

[Edited on 12/5/2003 by Grondmaster]