Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Galadriel's Mirror

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > Galadriel's Mirror   
I think the water of Galadriel's Mirror is just regular, mate. It comes indeed out of a spring. I think the recipient in which Galadriel puts the water contains the magic and turns it into a mirror.
Quote:
Down a long flight of steps the Lady went into the deep green hollow, theough which ran murmuring the silver stream that issued from the fountain on the hill. At the bottom, upon a low pedestal carved like a branching tree, stood a basin of silver, wide and shallow, and beside it stood a silver ewer.

With water from the stream Galadriel filled the basin to the brim, and breathed on it, and when the water was still again she spoke. 'Here is the Mirror of Galadriel,' she said. 'I have brought you here so that you may look in it, if you will.'

- Fellowship of the Ring, 'The Mirror of Galadriel'
So let me see if I have this right:

The water of Galadriel's mirror is normal, but when she breathes on it it becomes something special? Sad Smilie Got The Blues Smilie Very Sad Smilie I am kinda confused.
Quote:
... I think the recipient in which Galadriel puts the water contains the magic and turns it into a mirror.
If you change Virumor's "recipient" to "receptical", it may make more sense; Galadriel's breath maybe is more of a catalyst. Elven magic is hard to explain using when the scientific knowledge of men. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Was Galadriel a sorceress? Question Smilie
No, she was not a witch/sorceress-Tolkien would be deeply offended by that! Big Laugh Smilie

Val- is Virumor a play on words of the miruvor, the srink given by the Valar to the Fellowship? If so I don't ever remeber hearing that it had any foretelling abilities but it was a drink served in Valarin feasts and its anme means I think 'cordial of the Valar' though that is stemming from it's much longer, unkwown Valarin word for it.

So Galadriel wasn't a sorceress, but she has a magic mirror? (mirror mirror on the wall, is sauron coming, after all?) And why then would she get a reputation with others of being "an elf witch," as Gimli says? I'm sorry. I kinda get it, but I don't. Very Sad Smilie
Men and Dwarves often wrongly misinterpreted hearsay etc. Galadriel was obviosuly 'well-known' or had quite a large reputation. Look at it this way, men had come to fear Elves, as attributed by Faramir to Frodo and Sam, or rather were afraid of them. Therfore they would make up stories about the sorceress of the golden wood etc, depicting Galadriel was a witch-like charcater (Eomer was hinting at this but was rightly re-buked by Gimli) so their fear or misunderstanding led them to believe she was a sorceress of divine power (Note Eorl's words to the marching army of the Northmen in Unfinished Tale after she drives away Saurons mists).
Well let's say she isn't a sorceress/witch - that sounds too pejorative. (although i'm pretty sure Sauron would call her a sorceress and Galadriel would call Sauron a sorcerer :p)

But she is able to do magic things, like Gandalf or Elrond because she is the bearer of Nenya so she wields a great power.

I don't know how she did that trick with the Mirror though but in my opinion all Elves are able to do magic - after all, they are the only ones of the Eruhir who have some of the power of the Ainur (magic).

It's also mentioned they put their thoughts into everything they make (like with the Lorien cloaks) === magic ?

Findekano : my nick is an anagram to miruvor (the drink the Fellowship recieved at Rivendell). And in my opinion not the water (it was just regular water taken from a fountain) but the recipient/box/round thing/whatever it's called in English causes the water to turn magical.
The word Tolkien used in the book is "basin".
Quote:
It's also mentioned they put their thoughts into everything they make (like with the Lorien cloaks) === magic

The Quenta Silmarillion tells us that Galadriel dwelt for long with melian, wife of Thingol in Doriath. She learnt a lot from her one of which was the making of the Grey Cloaks that she gave to the fellowship (There is a reference to the 'Grey-cloaks' of the Sindar in the Annals of Beleriand HoME 11) and the making of the lembas, another gift to the fellowship, which she learnt from Melian, who gave some to Beleg in the Narn I Hin Hurin ,and Mim, coveted them, thinking they woudl make him immortal, but as the Dangweth Pengolod: Of Lembas (HoME 11)tells us they were dangerous to mortals making them want immortal life.

[Edited on 28/5/2003 by Findekano]
I think I get it--it was the basin, along with Galadriel's elvish/possibly-ring magic.

Virumor--I always thought the elves had magic, too. (I just wasn't sure about the whole mirror thing!)
Quote:
Therefore, everything appeared to be magical but really wasn't. Kind of like David Copperfield's magic acts, y'know
?

Or perhaps, more like that the Shaman or Medicine Man. But, I think you have the right idea, as that is how I interpreted that quote from Tolkien's letter.
I agree.

When I said magic, I meant magic in the sense that it cannot be explained by man, and it is really awesome and maybe brings in elements of nature (such as using a certain tree bark in a cloth), but there is a logical sense to it (unknown to man). The elves had LOTS of time to develep their arts (with a few thousand years to kill, why not do something constructive?) However, from the perspective of hobbits, men, and probably dwarves, it looked like magic. They have such care and love in the things they create (one of the reason they despised Morgoth and Sauron, because evil doesn't pay attention to every single detail, as the crew of LotR movie did!). So, literally, their thought and knowledge went into it. Like when a musician puts a poem to music. The knowledge and thought is still there (if the musician does it right!).

[Edited on 31/5/2003 by Beleg_Strongbow]
Well, didn't Elves have some of the power of the Ainur in the name as the only ones of the children of Illuvatar ?

I mean, Fëanor made the Silmarils and Eöl made swords that could speak... the Palantiri too....

i think the word we use for such things would be magic indeed, i mean things Men and other races aren't able to do
Quote:
I think the word we use for such things would be magic indeed, I mean things Men and other races aren't able to do
I think what everyone has been saying is that "magic" is a catch-all term for anything man can not yet understand, whether it is based on nature, spirit, or physics. It lies above our understanding and thus we pigeon-hole it as "magic".

Were one of these mystery incidents explained to us with enough information as to what makes it tick, we might have a great epiphany, a great 'Ah-ha, so that's how it's done!' and we might then go on to create fire, the digital watch, and the transmat machine, or maybe even the dreaded curses of telepathy and cloning.
Heh...this might sound dumb and all...but hey... Wink Smilie , here is my take on this.

Magic is as Grondmaster said, a term for anything that man cannot understand. Therefore, if you come to think about it, magic is technology. Yeah, that is right! Galadriel's mirror might be a satelite dish for all you know! Yeah....well...what is a satelite dish anyways? It just recieves stuff like radiowaves or sumthing like that...(heh...my physics sux)...So, Galadriel could have used nature's power to create it. What keeps bothering us humans are that we are unable to comprehend the fact that say...a frog's eyeball and snake's skin could actually function as a satelite dish just because we can't do it, it seems impossible and becomes like magic to us. So all I wanna say is magic can also be known as "ature's technology"! So for all we know, Galadriel may have just use the magnetic properties of her fountain, the basin as her reciever and the water like a LCD display or sumthing like that! Tongue Smilie

PS: The above example of frog eyes and snake skin is not true...do not attempt to make a satelite dish outta it.
Quote:
PS: The above example of frog eyes and snake skin is not true...do not attempt to make a satelite dish outta it.
I wish now I'd read to the bottom of your post before I got my hands all messy. Wink Smilie
Quote:
Quote:
I wish now I'd read to the bottom of your post before I got my hands all messy. Wink Smilie
ROTFLMAOTIWMP Oh wow, I just saw Val up to his elbows in frog eyes trying thread them onto a rolled up snakes skin. Almost as messy as collecting roe from a large newly killed fish.