Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Dragons of ME

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > Dragons of ME   
Okay, I was skimming through LOTR the other day and I came across the chapter The Shadow of the Past. It said something
Quote:
It is been said that Dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth...Not even Ancalagon the Black
Who is Ancalagon the Black? and are there any other dragons in Middle earth that are important besides him and Smaug?
Glaurung(have i spelt it wrong? Maybe its Glamrung, but i'm sure thats Gandalf's sword)... First and worst, slain by Turin Turambar
Ancalagon the Black was the mightiest of Morgoth*'s winged dragons, who fought Eńrendil (and the Eagles) in the skies for twenty-four hours, eventually perishing and falling atop the mountains of Thangorodrim, destroying them.
*Morgoth was the first Dark Lord, Sauron's master

Glaurung was the first dragon, and one of the greatest. He wrought destruction and ravaged the forces of good.

Besides Smaug, the other named dragon was Scatha, who lived in the Ered Mithrin. He was eventually slain by Fram, an ancestor of Eorl the Young, and his hoard was sought by both the Rohirrim and the Dwarves of that region. The horn that ╔owyn gave Merry came from Scatha's hoard.

One last note: while Smaug was the last of the truly powerful dragons, he was not the last of the Urulˇki (Fire-dragons). The lesser ones survived long after his death.
Just as an added note, most of the surviving dragons were said to live in the Withered Heath, which is a region just to the north of the Ered Mithrin. Fortunately they were said to sleep for extended periods of time, which possibly explains why so few were seen.