Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: After the War of the Ring

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > After the War of the Ring   
I am guilty, at times, of skipping. That is skipping over bits of the books that I think I know, or am not that interested in. It doesn't happen often but I am guilty nonetheless.

So... I decided to reread Lord of the Rings and this time to make sure that I read everything. Well, almost everything. I was interested to read in the Prologue that part of the Appendices was compiled by Merry and Pippin using information and help from Elrond's sons and other high-elven who stayed after Elrond left, and from also Celeborn as he (it is said) went to live in Rivendell after Galadriel left. Gimli is credited with helping Merry and Pippin by supplying the information about Durin's Folk. The Shire held 'extensive materials for the history of Numenor and the arising of Sauron'. Merry and Pippin and their successors collected manuscripts about history and legends relating to Elendil and his heirs as well. What an amazing pair of Hobbits. Merry also wrote about history of Rohan,' Reckoning of Years' and 'Old Words and Names in the Shire.' The last one I find fascinating as it indicates similarities between Shire and Rohan words.

One other snippet I had totally forgotten is that there was a copy of the Red Book made and kept in Minis Tirith which Pippin took to Aragorn when he retired to Gondor. So Merry lived out his last days in Gondor did he?

And Faramir had a grandson called Barahir.

Are there any other interesting snippets of information to be found? Of course there are!

After reading the books a couple of times it's these "little bits" of information that I love to find. The next time I read them I'll concentrate on finding more Wink Smilie
Quote:
One other snippet I had totally forgotten is that there was a copy of the Red Book made and kept in Minis Tirith which Pippin took to Aragorn when he retired to Gondor. So Merry lived out his last days in Gondor did he?

Tis indeed true that both Pippin and Merry left the Shire when they were both of old age, to spend their final days there. They were buried in Rath Dínen, alongside King Elessar.

Merry was also present at Théoden's death.
Also the Shire was enlarged by the addition of the Westmarch (the area from the Far Downs to the Tower Hills) as a gift from the King in SR1452. Elanor and her husband, the Warden of Westmarch, and their descendents, the Fairbains of the Towers, lived in the Undertowers at the base of the Tower Hills.

This new land addition was populated by the young of the Shire who found too many hobbits living at home and wanted more room in which to start families of their own. (Even hobbits like the American's of the 18th and 19th centuries, had the saying of "Westward Ho!").
Quote:
And Faramir had a grandson called Barahir.

Here's something that's not in LOTR : Faramir's son was named Elboron.

Quote:
(Even hobbits like the American's of the 18th and 19th centuries, had the saying of "Westward Ho!").

Ah yes, that explains why most of the Elves, just like the Indians on earth, suddenly evaporated from Middle-Earth... of course, this could also have been caused by the "Westward Hoom!" of the Ents (although the Entwives were most probably located somewhere in the East). Lebensraum for everyone !
Quote:
Merry was also present at Théoden's death.

He was at Eomer's death too. Maybe the little fellow was actually an assassin from Mordor.
Naw, by then the Dark Lord Sam's gardeners had tidied Mordor up with green lawns, flower beds, groves of trees, and lots of herbs and vegetables, such that no self-respecting assassin would let it be known that he/she hailed from there.