Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Remembering as I reread

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > Remembering as I reread   
I've just finished rereading FotR and there are a number of things I had forgotten.

I had forgotten that dwarves were present at Bilbo's birthday party and when BIlbo left he had three dwarves as companions.

Quote:
It was driven by outlandish folk singing strange songs: dwarves with long beards and deep hoods. A few of them remained at Bag End.

Quote:
Bilbo chose his favourite stick from the stand; then he whistled. Three dwarves came out of different rooms where they had been busy.

Quote:
"What fun! What fun to be off again, off on the Road with dwarves!"

I wonder what happened to those dwarves?

Also, Gandalf wore a blue hat!

Quote:
An old man was driving it all alone. He wore a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak and a silver scarf.

And could there be Ents in the Shire?

Quote:
"All right", said Sam, laughing with the rest. "But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back." ... "But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking - walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch." ... "But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors."

More from FotR to follow....
Quote:
I wonder what happened to those dwarves?

They probably accompanied Bilbo to Rivendell, and after that returned to Erebor with Gloín.

Quote:
Also, Gandalf wore a blue hat!

Duh.

Quote:
And could there be Ents in the Shire?

Yes. I believe Treebeard mentions something like this in TTTTTTTTT. It may have been Entwives :
Quote:
He made them describe the Shire and its country over and over again. He said an odd thing at this point. 'You never see any, hm, any Ents round there do you?' he asked. 'Well, not Ents, Entwives I should really say.'
'Entwives?' said Pippin. 'Are they like you at all?'
'Yes, hm, well no: I do not really know now,' said Treebeard thoughtfully. 'But they would like your country, so I just wondered.'

Quote:
More from FotR to follow....

Hey, haven't you noticed yet that Arwen doesn't go saving Hobbits ?
Yes, but since I am talking about the book I didn't think it mattered.

Very Mad Smilie
I had forgotten that Gandalf actually mentioned Aragorn by name, in 'The Shadow of the Past' chapter, when telling Frodo about their search for Gollum. I am slowly reading FotR and have just now made it into Tom Bombadil and Goldberry's house.