Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Argonath

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > The Argonath   
I've never been quite able to figure out what the Argonath were. I know they were two giant statues of men on either side of the river. But I can't find it in the index of the lord of the rings, or the silmarillion, and I wonder who it was contructed by and who the two figure are. My guess would be Elendil and Isuldur, but I really don't know anything about the Argonath at all.
It was Isildúr and Anarion. I believe Aragorn mentions this when the Fellowship passes them; I believe he says something in the likes of "for long I have longed to see the statues of my forefathers"... I suggest you look it up in the appropriate chapter of Fellowship of the Ring.

EDIT : the Appendices A of LOTR mention they were built in the days of King Rómendacil, according to the Encyclopedia of Arda site.
I think they were built to mark the old borders of gondor
Yes, the Argonath on the Anduin marked the northern border of Gondor.
All correct. They were statues of Isildur and Anarion built around TA 1340 at the northern entrance to a chasm called Nen Hithoel.

From The Two Towers

Quote:
The Argonath were fashioned in the likeness of Isildur and Anarion: 'still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in a gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown.'
Wow. Thanks for the information.
hullo beautiful Cloveress. I also could never quite get that right. Now I feel enriched.
I wonder if Gondor hired dwarves to sculpt the Argonath? Winking Smilie
That's an interesting question. Though I don't think there's ever been much commerce between men and dwarves...oh wait, there was, on a regular basis- the Lonely Mountain. I guess that in and of itself makes that more plausible. It does seem much more of a dwarf thing than one done by humans, though I could still see Men doing it...
I doubt it. Although The Dwarves were the greatest of all craftsmen save the Noldor of old the Numenoreans were a close third. They made the Unbreakable Tower of Orthanc, the great city of Minas Tirth and the inpenetrable Black Gate. It was well within the Numenoreans means of doing the Argonath even though there work in Middle-earth wasn't much compared to on Numenor itself.
There skill only faded in later years when the Numenorean blood began to dilute.
Quote:
They made the Unbreakable Tower of Orthanc, the great city of Minas Tirth and the impenetrable Black Gate.

I never heard of the numenoreans building the black gate lord. Could you tell me where you got that from? I don't think its in LOTR appendix.
The Morannon was built by Sauron in the Second Age when he fortified Mordor.
Ok. then the numenoreans had no hand in that. so where does that qoute come from? we wonders...yes precious...we wonders.
Quote:
Other strong places they [the Numenoreans] built [besides their chief city of Osgiliath] also upon either hand: Minas Ithil.....; Minas Arnor....., but other works marvellous and strong they built in the land in the days of their power, at the Argonath, and at Aglarond [the Hornburg], and at Erech; and in the circle of Angrenost, which men called Isengard, they made the Pinnacle of Orthanc of unbreakable stone. - from about ten pages into 'Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age' of The Silmarillion.