Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Favorite part?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Lord of the Rings > Favorite part?   
I am sure most of us can remember the first time we read the books. But why did many of us chose to go further? If you read The Silmarillion why did you want to? This question is about a specific moment in LoTR that you liked a LOT, but was mysterious enough that you wanted to find out more. Mine is the scene where the Ents were wrecking Isengard, and then one of them got sprayed with lava. I thought it was so incredible, and the image of an Ent enraged has stayed with me even to this day. What was even better was when Orthanc has just a few scratches. I thought, "Who made creatures that can spend a...very...long...time saying hello and then rage for hours? Who made a tower that could withstand that without any damage?" That scene is the reason that I read The Silmarillion (and others). What things or scenes or lines made you go further?

Nice thread Curufinwe.  My favorite intriguing moments from LOTR are those which involve the Huorns. Are they under evolved Ents, Old Ents, Maia spirits in tree form or just animated enraged trees? Every time they are mentioned by JRRT I want to know more. If it was not for the Huorns, the outcome for Middle Earth would have been very different.

the king of Theoden might not of led the army of rohan at the pelannor fields.

i am really a fan of the gondor scenes,so if i was not a rivendell elf,dunedain of gondor all the way,such valiant men to hold the terror of morgul so long.

Thanks Brego, I wonder a lot about Huorns to. If they had not changed the rout of the orcs to a slaughter maybe Rohan would not have felt safe riding to Gondor, and the whole fate of Middle-Earth would have been different. And yes, Gondor is very valiant to. Especially when Tolkien describes the walls, "The bones of the earth." The blood of Numenor was a mere shadow of what it had once been, but it was still very powerful. Many of the Gondor scenes made me come close to crying because they were once so vast and powerful and had dwindled with the years, until they were so weak (at least by comparison to what they once were) that they could not even people their own lands. For me Gondor is a sad story, and yet their is a possibility that Aragorn can make it prosper...

Well Curufinwe,about the population,i will try to see this out like a math.When the captains of the outlands came,they brought around 2000 men,5000 from the southeren fiefs and those defending the rammas echor osgiliath and cair andros,so about  8000 to 9500 soldiers.The gondorians were very valiant playing  a key role in the battle of Pelannor fields.

Tolkien literally wrote, "their were not enough people left to people the lands of Gondor after the long siege of Barad-dur" so I am rather sure that they fell from a massive nation to one that while still strong was very weak by comparison. That is why it is a sad story, because they went from being amazingly powerful to a week nation.

Gondor is a good lesson to learn about war and conquest. There is a limit to the size of an empire. An empire's borders expands bringing in riches, but it comes at a high price. The nation will start to weaken from within. Two of history's mightiest empires learned this and halted their expansion. The Romans and Mongols realized they didn't have to enough manpower to maintain order with such a massive empire.

Saoron also spread a pestilence, a plague, which wiped out a lot of people of Gondor. This along with a dwindling of the Westerness blood line weaknd and reduced the power of the once great people.

I myself have many favourite parts, so it's hard to just pick "the" one. But if I had to pick one I'd have to start with Gandalf telling Frodo, about the history of the One ring at Bag-end. The atmosphere is filled with vivid images, one can almost smell the plumes of smoke wafting up from Gandalf's pipe. Secondly, it has to be the Black Riders on the hunt, all those scenes are just chilling, see it's hard to pick just one.

Hi guys, The Bridge of Khazad-dum,where the hell did that balrog come from? The Silmarillion characters almost seem to enhance vague memories for some reason, Thingol Galadriel etc, the names and places fit perfectly

Indeed, finding one part is truly hard, as all the parts are great. But surely you were not as filled with wonder, joy, fear, glory and above all mystery for all the parts. While it is hard to find places where none of those (or other similar feelings) are present, which moments or parts had all of them at the highest intensity.

One of those moments was when Durins Bane appeared. When I first red LoTR, I thought that Gandalf was an old man who had learned some magic over the years. However, when the Balrog emerged, and he stood against it, I wondered "what the hell is this guy going to do against a demon?" Then he "won" or at least tied. A truly mysterious character who awakened my imagination a lot. Of course, Moria itself was also incredibly vast, mysterious and powerful which added to my experience.

I did not myself feel mystery during the rider scenes, but I was definitely afraid. This allowed Tolkien to fit in more mystery and "slow" realistic bits to the first book while not losing a frantic sense of fear that would keep the reader interested. One such bit is when Gandalf tells the story of the ring and its long history. The completeness and sureness of the history gives the sense of, as Tolkien himself puts it, "mountains shrouded in mist" unattainable but beautiful. Those "mountains" are one of the biggest reasons why people like LoTR so much.

As i previously said,the Gondor scenes,really enhance Tolkien's work of middle earth in the reader,Minas Tirith,Oy My Gosh,that was wonderful,The siege of gondor,wow,As Boromir said Gondo is Still strong even at it's weakest point of stage.So anything Gondorish,i cherish those partss in the books deeply,The wiseness of Faramir,The once great but poor despairing Denethor,and the Loyal Beregond,and the brave Imrahil,who alone with his knights would stand with Gandalf,it is amazing and  thrilling.

LOTR :  - the journey from Bree to Imladris

- the description of Caras Galadhon

- the battle of Pellenor

- the liberation of the Shire

Hobbit:  - the scene with the Trolls

- the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug

- the riddle game between Bilbo and Gollum

Silmarillion :  - the first book where the Ainur are created

- all the battles of Beleriand ( they are so epic )

- the scene where Morgoth faces the elven king Fingolfin

To reply to Valandil about the Silmarillion scenes he is spot on right.The Ainur is amazing,spectacular, and breath taking.(Eru)  The Battles of Beleriand,we know all about thosec awesome things.(Epic is the name of those battles.) Fingolfin and Morgoth duel,well my favorite part.The reader is like:" Wow,this elf is really going to challenge this gigantic dark lord Morgoth?"    Well good job Valandil! and welcome!

Oh wow...

Well the first novel I remember reading was The Hobbit, so that factors in pretty heavily to why I pursued Tolkien so much!!

But I did read LOTR later on in life before re-reading The Hobbit, and reading LOTR then in a special edition, hard cover book with full illustrations...I knew I'd never look back. A lot of the artwork was just so mesmerizing. Especially the paintings of Moria. I remember wanting to know more about the creature in the lake outside the doors into it...and of course I've always had a special affinity for balrogs and wizards <3

Galadriel is another character that has always intrigued me. She was so mysterious in LOTR yet you could tell there was so much more to her. Glad I dug deeper, because sure enough I was right :P

Though I knew I forever LOVED Tolkien after reading the first chapter in Silmarillion. Touches my heart everytime I read it, can never get enough.

Thanks, Amras, it's good to be here.

I am just a humble reader who gives his 2 pieces of mithril .  I personally love Tolkien's writings because he put so much work into it , he spent a lifetime to finish his own fictional  "universe" and that has to be respected. I also believe that his personal experience in war made his battle stories so epic and almost realistic, if that term can be used.

Choosing which part I like most is almost impossible considering they are all so well written.

Come on! Surely the book was not all a monotone of greatness, and even if it was, surely some parts were good in different ways. What parts evoked a desire for more? What parts were as moutains shrouded in mist? When did you realize that you wanted more?

I was mesmerised by the depth of the story, that's for sure. You could read about the characters and the places in the book and learn that they are merely a part of something even more complex. I think that gathering of those little 'tips' was the most intriguing thing in LOTR books for me. Things like Aragorn being the heir to the throne of Gondor, or Gandalf being powerful enough to return after being defeated by Balrog, mysterious characters of Galadriel, Three Rings, the story of Nazgul... I got hooked because I was curious about those things. It's hard to remember which parts of the book I liked the most when I was reading it for the first time - I still get fascinated by various parts of the story. I'd say it was Gandalf and his background - from an old wise man who just happened to trigger things he became a powerful warrior, a wizard, a guardian. I think he was the key to the Middle Earth for me when I was reading the books for the first time.

I also are intrigued by Galadriel, her journey thru ME is amazing. But the Silmarillion is so deep, that it seems more than a story imagined. The concept of sailing into true west, and the time before the sun and moon, always leads me into rich fields of thought. Love it.

I know this seems weird but i really have grown fond of the eagles.Their huge and their noble.Another article of Tolkien's that i have forgotten say's that Manwe own's them,their his servants' in Middle earth.I think their not supposed to listen to any cry of help,and that their independent.Gwahir and Landroval his brother did things that mattered.Battle of the five armies,Black Gate.But they listened to Gandalf,for they knew whence he had came and whence he would return.Plus the dwarves gave Gwahir a awesome crown by all acounts,so this helped them to like dwarves better.Thorondor,ancient king of Eagles made Gondolin his home or eyrie so why did they not camp around Minas Tirirth.Nazgul would of had their beaks full.