Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: AulŽ. What do you think of him?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > AulŽ. What do you think of him?   << [1] [2]
Aule, if u're still wondering: it was Mahtan, father of Nerdanel, Feanor's wife! U taught him all that he knew; he passed it to Feanor; and Feanor surpassed every smith in craft! (not Aule, of course!)

Namarie!
Thanks Bugy....it seems as if the others forgot my question completely hahhahahaTongue Smilie
Quote:
Thanks Bugy....it seems as if the others forgot my question completely hahhahaha

At least i told you who Telchar is... one of your Dwarven pets. Tongue Smilie
Ahh but indeed you did my friend...and I thank you for that...but they are not me pets so donīt refer them to be itTongue Smilie I am their father and teacher...they are my pupils and childrenWink Smilie

And AulŽ Mahal is still the greatest of the Valar!
Quote:
And AulŽ Mahal is still the greatest of the Valar!

Nope, mate that title went to Melkor and after his fall : to ManwŽ. ManwŽ is King of Arda. You have to know your place bub :p
Right....just knock me of my friggin boatTongue Smilie hehehehe
and after ManwŽ is Ulmo I know....
Ok but I know that AulŽ is third in power so: AulŽ Mahal is the third greatest Valar!Wink Smilie
Relax, Aule: the Khazad and the Noldor (the Feanoreans, at least!) have always considered you to be the GREATEST Vala! No matter what you may think of them, those two peoples had the greatest skills in crafts!

Namarie!
Indeed, bugy, indeed.

Maybe this was also one of the reasons why the Noldor got ensnared in Melkor's plans : if the Noldor would have been as close to ManwŽ as they were close to AulŽ, perhaps Melkor wouldn't be able to trick their minds. And maybe they wouldn't have rushed into the oath etc etc.

Anyway : i wonder why AulŽ didn't defend or helped his beloved Noldor right after FinwŽ got killled... why didn't he try to slow down FŽanor or try bringing the rest of the Noldor to reason? Maybe it wouldn't have worked and FŽanor and Co would have left anyway, but still maybe the rest of the Noldor would have stayed behind?

My bet is that all Valar were too busy with mourning over the dead Trees... so they didn't think about their Elven pets.

It's strange that AulŽ seemed to leave his Noldor for what they were... Lucky Ulmo was still there!

[Edited on 8/11/2003 by virumor]
That is why I like Ulmo better than Aule. Ulmo did not abandon the Noldor.
Yet, I can't help it remembering Aule's attitude when they were talking about the breaking of the Silmarils:

Quote:
But Aule the Maker said: 'Be not hasty! We ask a greater thing than thou knowest. Let him have peace yet awhile.'

I think the Noldor were most like Aule and Melkor, concerning creation, that is: that's why they were so easily ensnared by Melkor!

Namarie!
Still AulŽ is one of the best Valar in my opinion!
Quote:
Still AulŽ is one of the best Valar in my opinion!

Yes, if we look at it objectively, Aule is one of the Aratar, so this means he is one of the 'best' Valar. And he is nr 3 of the Aratar so indeed, a bronze medal isn't that bad.

The BEST Vala, as the Noldor see it!
*bows again to the great Mahal*

Namarie!
Quote:
The BEST Vala, as the Noldor see it!
*bows again to the great Mahal*

Best Vala perhaps for the Noldor who knew him back in Valinor. I don't recall Gildor and Co singing 'A Aule gilthoniel'.
Of course, Vir, u're right! But Varda was revered by all the Eldar for kindling the stars! That explains a lot ...

Namarie!
Quote:
But Varda was revered by all the Eldar for kindling the stars! That explains a lot ...

Yes, but she was especially worshipped by the Exiled Noldor and by the Sindar and descendants, who never ever saw the Light of the Two Trees.

Well, let's say that he was the Feanorian's favorite, all right? Though Aule might have my head for that ...

Namarie!
The Noldor learned their smithing skills from Aule. Maybe they don't sing 'A Aule gilthoniel' but he was still a big influence on the Noldor.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say from the beginning, Lasgalen! Thx for the help!

Namarie!
Aule is the favourite Vala of the Dwarves. For the Noldor, Aule was more a kind master who learned a lot to them and who also learned a couple of things from them. They didn't worship him. That's what i was trying to say.
Indeed, worship is out of the case! The Elves knew better than that. But that leaves Varda out of it too! I think they just held her in reverence, which is most natural, considering even their name: Eldar=People of the Stars!

Namarie!
I don't recall the Eldar worshipping any of the Valar. They held them in esteem but I don't think that is the same thing as worship.
Quote:
I don't recall the Eldar worshipping any of the Valar. They held them in esteem but I don't think that is the same thing as worship.
True, they were more venerated, like angels, than gods. IMHO

Quote:
True, they were more venerated, like angels, than gods. IMHO

Yes, if the Elves had seen the Valar as 'gods' and worshipped the Valar as 'gods', then the Noldor would never had the guts to leave Valinor no matter what FŽanor was saying; besides, FŽanor would never dare to treat to Valar so shamelessly the way he did before he was expelled.
Quote:
Yes, if the Elves had seen the Valar as 'gods' and worshipped the Valar as 'gods', then the Noldor would never had the guts to leave Valinor no matter what FŽanor was saying; besides, FŽanor would never dare to treat to Valar so shamelessly the way he did before he was expelled.

Then I guess I should be glad they never thought of them as 'gods'! hehehe
Anyway, they knew them well enough not to consider them 'gods', though the Ainu were of divine nature ...

Namarie!
Quote:
Anyway, they knew them well enough not to consider them 'gods', though the Ainu were of divine nature ...

Not really, their powers were not unlimited. And a god wouldn't be humiliated like Fingolfin did with Morgoth.
It depends on what do u consider divinty to be! I, for one, think that the thoughts of Eru (the Ainur) might be considered of divine nature, though not of unlimited power.

Namarie!
  << [1] [2]