Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Sauron's other name

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Sauron's other name   
He was also known as Gorthaur, but if you're looking for an original name, I don't know.
Hm. Interesting. Thanks!
According to UT, Sauron also had three Second Age self-given names:

Annatar = 'Lord of Gifts'
Artano = 'High-smith'
Aulendil - 'Servant of Aule'
Tolkien wrote that Sauron was his :true name:, the Quenya version was Sauro and the Sindarin Gorthaur. He was also called Mor-thū or Sśro. They all mean the same thing basically. Sauro/Sśro and Gorthaur are the Abhorred. And Mor-thū is Black Stench. So I doubt those were his first, TRUE name since he originally served Aulė before he went to Melkor (Morgoth). It would thus make sense that his true name wouldn't be something evil or rotten.

Example: Morgoth was originally a Vala, and his true name was Alkar, the Glorious. Then he was called Melkor, He Who Arises in Might, and finally Morgoth, Black Enemy of the World, by Fėanor. Although he was also called Bauglir, the constrainer. End example.

So, i think, we don't actually know his first, REAL name. It's not published anywhere that I know. If it was even ever written down. Or thought of.
Wow. I'm reading UT right now, Grondy. just started. Kinda stole the book from my bro but he's in maine he'll never know. lol. Big Smile Smilie
I liked UT because it filled in a few of the holes that were necessarily left in The Silmarillion.
Quote:
According to UT, Sauron also had three Second Age self-given names:

Annatar = 'Lord of Gifts'
Artano = 'High-smith'
Aulendil - 'Servant of Aule'

Sorry to butt in here Grond but I believed that Aulendil was 'Lover-of-Aulė' in the sense that a person loves another platonically......since I read it somewhere....although I think that I may have misinterperted the name.....so you might be right...who knows..

And Arcormacolindóva, I had no idea about Melkor being Alkar at the beginning..... BTW how did the Valar get their names? Did Eru name them as a father would his children? or did they come up with their own names? The Eldar certainly did come up with alot of their names.....but their 'original' names....who gave them those?

Oh and where did you find that? Alkar?
Quote:
Sorry to butt in here Grond but I believed that Aulendil was 'Lover-of-Aulė' in the sense that a person loves another platonically......since I read it somewhere....although I think that I may have misinterperted the name.....so you might be right...who knows..
Maybe it is just a difference in translation to or from English, Aulė. I found the three names that Sauron called himself in the index to the Unfinished Tales.
I think I found it in HoME Volume X Morgoths Ring but I may be mistaken....
I thought that the suffix - dil (ndil) referred to love (or respect for, etc.), while the suffix -dur (ndur) referred to being the servant of the previous part of the word. I.e. Elendil, Isildur = Star-lover, Moon-servant. However, the Index in UT gives the name's meaning as Servant of Aulė, as does the context. Very interesting...
Maybe Sauron really used Aulendil (Lover of Aule) to confuse the Elves even more; love has nothing to do with evil, so they could not suspect his true nature! Just a thought...
There's a 'new' note published in Parma Eldalamberon:

Quote:
'(...) Sauron's original name was Mairon, but this was altered after he was suborned by Melkor. But he continued to call himself Mairon the Admirable, or Tar-mairon 'King Excellent' until after the downfall of Nśmenor.' JRRT

The derivation of Sauron seems to be fluid in this note, but this part with Mairon and etc. is possibly still upheld.
To what time does that note date back?
To generally after the publication of The Lord of the Rings.

What the editors of PE have done is combine various collections of etymologies into a single list of roots. Some collections appear to be dated 1957 and 1959, while another set of documents suggests a date of 1959 or 1960 (due to evidence relating to Tolkien's essay Quendi and Eldar).

The root concerned with the name Sauron is SAWA- and this entry contains the extra bit about Mairon. But at some point Tolkien added a note: 'No. THAW-, cruel. Saura, cruel. Gorthaur.' which was added in the margin against the explanation of Sauron, written in pencil with an 'X' next to it.

From a letter dated 1967 we know that the derivation of Sauron includes the base THAW- 'detestable'.
..... to throw in a stick from "real" history, "Saura" is greek for lizard/serpent/worm/dragon. Can't believe Tolkien would have been the type to be unaware of this.....

(You may now go back to discussing Tolkien's created etymology and totally ignore the possibility of Greek etymological genes creeping into his works.) Wink Smilie
I would agree that Tolkien was aware of the Greek, and he once noted:

Quote:
'To take a frequent case: there is no linguistic connexion, and therefore no connexion in significance, between Sauron a contemporary form of older *Thaurond- derivative of an adjectival *thaurā- (from a base THAW-) 'detestable' and the Greek (characters I can't reproduce here) 'a lizard'. JRRT, Letters

The famous change in Quenya (which Feanor rejected) of ž to s is involved in this derivation.
well, i'm Greek and i know that Tolkien was aware of ancient greek when writing the history of Middle-Earth. and indeed, Thaura is a roman accent of the word ''savra", which refers to the common green lizard
Quote:
well, i'm Greek and i know that Tolkien was aware of ancient greek when writing the history of Middle-Earth. and indeed, Thaura is a roman accent of the word ''savra", which refers to the common green lizard

And by all means Sauron was a contemptible lowly snake with legs or a lizard, even if the Professor only thought so sub-consciously.—that's like the biblical snake in Genesis.—So I guess Galin can put that in his pipe and smoke it, or at least add it to his infinite knowledge base. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Na-na-na-na-na Smilie

I never noticed that smiley before! Anyway, now I've got a thin excuse to ramble on Big Smile Smilie

Quote:
'The 'source', if any, provided solely the sound-sequence (or suggestions for its stimulus) and its purport in the source is totally irrelevant except in the case of Earendil; see below.

Investigators seem commonly to neglect this fundamental point (...) It is therefore idle to compare chance similarities between names made from 'Elvish tongues' and words in exterior 'real' languages, especially if this is supposed to have any bearing on the meaning or ideas in my story. To take a frequent case...' JRRT Letter 297

And so on about Sauron (as already posted above). In my experience (at least) reading posts on the web, most people's suggestions, if they find some similarity with an Elvish word or name, do not match JRRT's explanations -- when there is an explanation for comparison of course, as sometimes happens.

Note too that Tolkien writes if there is even a particular source for a given sound-sequence. There isn't necessarily one, or if there is in a vague sense, even the Master might not truly be able to pinpoint a specific real world example -- arguably because there likely was no one word in one particular source. Keep in mind there is a jumble of years of experience and memory here, and in this case we have a person interested in words, sound and sound-sense, from a very early age, who thus familiarizes himself with plenty of real world languages, both dead and alive.

That said, there is a type of investigation that is arguably not idle where Real World languages are concerned. But Carl Hostetter once again explains this far better than I could, so:

Quote:
I would hasten to point out that there is a very real connection between Tolkien's Eldarin tongues and the Indo-European languages. For instance, the root terH- "pass through, surpass, overcome" that Neil cites from Watkins is clearly related to the Eldarin base TER- 'pierce'. However, I can back such assertions up with phonological argument, with the preponderance of other Eldarin bases that also correspond to IE roots, and with several statements by Tolkien (most notably section 10 of The Lhammas) that show that he intended a relationship between Eldarin and Indo-European. (For the argument, evidence, and ongoing examination of this issue, see my and Pat Wynne's column "Words and Devices" in Vinyar Tengwar).

But Tolkien forcefully protests, esp. in Letters, that he did not just snatch words wholesale and willy-nilly from various languages and plop them into his invented tongues. By Tolkien's own statements, it is a valid endeavor to highlight the intended historical connections between the Eldarin languages and those of the Primary World, especially Indo-European; but also by Tolkien's own statements, it is an invalid endeavor to simply search dictionaries of Primary World languages for isolated words that just happen to match or resemble some Eldarin word. The former endeavor will illuminate Tolkien's intentions in constructing the Eldarin tongues, while the latter will only expend effort to find accidental congruences. In either case, the main factor determining relevance is the supporting evidence (or lack thereof) that can be brought to bear to bolster the assertion and to persuade others that it is correct.

A different pursuit in any event (by the way I have italicized words which were underlined in the original). Also, Tolkien did lift words and names intended as translations of course, so with respect to a name for one of the Rohirrim for example, having a real world source in Anglo-Saxon is intentional.

I have read the various Words and Devices in Vinyar Tengwar and I highly recommend them for anyone interested. Vinyar Tengwar now comes in collected issues at a very reasonable price to cover the cost of printing. See the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship (on the web) for details.
Thanks Galin, your input is desired and if I poke fun at you it is only to cover the inadequacy of my inferior knowledge on the subject. I guess should read all The Letters rather than just a few of them.
Ha! He is also called the Deceiver Big Smile Smilie!
Grondy, in any case you make a good point about a measure of sub-conscious at work, and this is a complicated subject. Roman Rausch has written an article for the web, which looks at Tolkien's commentary and other things:

Similarities between 'real' languages and Tolkien's Eldarin

Again, keeping in mind Mr. Hostetter's explanation above as well. I just don't want people to oversimplify (if they do that is, and not that you do) Tolkien's method when it comes to Elvish invention. I might have posted this before, but CJRT briefly explains:

Quote:
'He did not, after all, 'invent' new words and names arbitrarily: in principle, he devised from within the historical structure, proceeding from the 'bases' or primitive stems, adding suffix or prefix or forming compounds, deciding (or, as he would have said, 'finding out') when the word came into the language, following it through the regular changes in form that it would thus have undergone, and observing the possibilities of formal or semantic influence from other words in the course of its history." The result: "Such a word would then exist for him, and he would know it.'

Christopher Tolkien, The Lost Road

In fact I'm almost sure I posted this (somewhere here) already. Ach, my memory! apologies if I'm getting redundant on the matter.
Wasn't there a mention about Turon.. or.. hmm, was that in a fanfic I read.. ~sighs, boggles~ Ah well, anyway. :o)

Edit: ACK, sorry for bumping! >< Will have to watch post dates now :