Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Noldor Lords...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > The Noldor Lords...   
I have to admit, I like them. Yes they have done pretty bad things. Three kinslayings in a row doesn't make you a good guy, but then all the battles they have fought against Melkor.

But my question is... pretty basic: who is your favourite Noldor Lord? I you can't keep it with one, the maximum is set on 3. Enjoy!

My favourites:
Feanor
Maglor
Fingolfin
Finrod all the way. Finrod. Listen to what he did in the Silmarillion: (I memorised this, you know) It starts off with Morgoth.

Quote:
He chanted a song of wizardy,
Of piercing, opening, or treachery,
Reveailng, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying
Sang in answer a song of staying
REsisting, battling against power
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape
Of changing and of shifting shape.
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps,
Backwards and forwards swayed their song,
Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled. Felagund fought,
And all the magic and might he breought
Of ELvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond
The sighing of the SEa beyond
BEyond the Western lands, on sand
On sadn of pearl in Elvenland.
Then the gloom gathered; darkness growin
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
BEside the sea where the NOldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
in lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn,
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn,
And Finrod fell before the throne.

Although it didn't work, it was noble. And Fingolfin. Fighting with Morgoth in single combat! He's just as cool.
Feanor, of course... just the greatest of Elves (not just Noldor). As for reasons, there are too many for me to name here... Well, there would be one above all other: his creative genius which produced so many wonderful things (the Silmarils, the Palantiri, the Noldorin candles, the Feanorian alphabet etc.)
Of course, the other Noldor lords were all great... yet none could ever compare with the mighty Spirit of Fire!!

Namarie!

P.S.: I'll be back with more reasons, don't worry...
Hey didn't we already discuss this in the House of Finwe thread. I mean like, duh.

And come on bugy, it's true that Feanor is probably the greatest of the Noldor -although Finrod, Fingolfin and Galadriel aren't very far either - but the greatest of all Elves???? What were you thinking! That honour goes to Legolamb!
I would chose Feanor because of the Sillmarilions, Fingolfin for the one on one fight with Morgoth and.....uuu yes Maglor is another favourite.
Quote:
Virumor wrote:
Hey didn't we already discuss this in the House of Finwe thread. I mean like, duh

I did not see that thread Virumor. Maybe you could be so kind pointing me there?

I think my choice would be Finrod, Fingolfin and then Finarfin.
Quote:
I did not see that thread Virumor. Maybe you could be so kind pointing me there?

Here ya go Rhapsody, House of Finwe thread

Elf Smilie
Thank you Elfstone!!
Quote:
Hey didn't we already discuss this in the House of Finwe thread. I mean like, duh.

And come on bugy, it's true that Feanor is probably the greatest of the Noldor -although Finrod, Fingolfin and Galadriel aren't very far either - but the greatest of all Elves???? What were you thinking! That honour goes to Legolamb!

Well, you're right, Vir! (as always) But what if we try to stick to the books? We'll talk about it when the Silmarillion is made into a movie and all the ladies will go on sighing & sobing for Feanor, Finrod, Turin, Tuor etc. Hehe! Legoboy will go down in flames! *evil look*

Namarie!
My favourite's definately Finrod...*dreamy look* I suppose I like him for meeting Beor and saving Beren and everything and oh yeah, also for being Galadriel's brother... If a movie does come out you can bet I'll be sobbing for him.
Quote:
If a movie does come out you can bet I'll be sobbing for him.

Don't hold your breath. If the Silmarillion is ever made into a movie, his part will be stolen by Galadriel just as Glorfindel's was stolen by Arwen.
Turgon. The Fall of Gondolin is the high point of the Silmarillion in terms of narrative, what the Pelennor was to the Trilogy.
Quote:
If the Silmarillion is ever made into a movie, his part will be stolen by Galadriel just as Glorfindel's was stolen by Arwen.

Maybe not. The only reason Arwen got so much attention was because she fell in love with Aragorn. I don't think they can do much about Galadriel and Celeborn, I mean, there's not really much romance about them (don't kill me), not as much as Luthien and Beren anyway.
But it was a pity we didn't see Glofindel in LOTR. I was pretty disappointed when I saw Arwen coming out of the woods instead of good old Glorfy... And also, Elladan and Elrohir should've been cast!
I think Finrod's the best of the Noldor, as I've emphasized before, but I didn't give a reason yet. He doesn't burn with some raging wrathful fire like the sons of feanor, and he isn't the fierce warrior type like the house of Fingolfin. I think he's sort of milder and a more wiser figure.

I'm going to sound like one of those hopeless fangirls, but here goes:
Thank you Val, Aule, and all of you other Finrod lovers out there! The world wouldn't be the same without him!