Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Of Wyrms and Drakes: Greatest?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Of Wyrms and Drakes: Greatest?   << [1] [2]
If you re-read my post Galin you will see that I gave a reason why Vir was right but also gave a reason why, at least in some edition, however dated, Gothmog meant 'Voice of Morgoth' -

"Gothmog '= Voice of Goth (Morgoth), an Orc-name.' Morgoth is
explained at its place in the list as 'formed from his Orc-name Goth
"Lord or Master", with mor "dark or black" prefixed.' These entries in
the List of Names have been discussed in II. 67. In the Etymologies the
element goth is differently explained in Gothmog (GOS, GOTH) and in
Morgoth (KOT, but with a suggestion that the name 'may also contain
GOTH )."
HOME5

Quote:
If you re-read my post Galin you will see that I gave a reason why Vir was right but also gave a reason why, at least in some edition, however dated, Gothmog meant 'Voice of Morgoth' -

I read your post -- and you said Virumor was 'half wrong' by stating that Gothmog was once the son of Morgoth -- he is not half wrong, he is right.

You also posted:

Quote:
LoA wrote: 'Gothmog = Kosomot (Kosomoko in Quenya) - 'Son of Melkor' - it is Gothmogs title he was not actually a son of Melkor.'

Indicating that you think Virumor was wrong on this point.

And your quote from The Book of Lost Tales tells the Reader: '... and his name is Strife-and-hatred'. This meaning agrees with the Qenya forms Kosomot, Kosomoko -- these do not mean 'Voice of Melkor' noting your: 'Gothmog means 'Voice of Melkor' in Quenya I believe'.
Virumor is always right! Bad King Smilie
Quote:
Virumor is always right! Bad King Smilie

Right, just ask him and he'll tell you so. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
  << [1] [2]