Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: silmarillion not in top 100

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > silmarillion not in top 100   
as you all probanly know lotr is the no. 1 book ever. i was wondering though silmarillion is also a very good book and to me even better than lotr. is silmarillion not in the top hundred because it was an edited book or because there was not much conversation?? i mean silmarillion is a n amazing book. WHY ISNT IT CONSIDERED AS GOOD AS LOTR AND NOT AS FAMOUS!
What listing are you talking about here?
That list was made from a poll made in Great Britain a few years back.

I wouldn't put The Silmarillion in the top 100, as it is more of a narrative history rather than a novel. The LotR is one wondrous epic tale that has that history in its background. The reader who has read The Sil, draws that much more enjoyment from LotR, but The Sil isn't necessary to enjoy {i]LotR and I didn't get nearly the enjoyment from it as I did from LotR.
To grondy
well that atleast explains your refusal to add the sil in the quote game! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

But i prefer the sil to LOTR but had never heard of the list.
I think it's simply the fact that not many people have read the SIl compared to the number that have read LOTR. I mean, most people find the Sil language to be somewhat archaic and dull (especially the Music of the Ainur chapter) and they can't understand it, even if they have read the LOTR. Thus, it is only the people who are crazy about LOTR who read the Sil, and of cours,e oncfe they've read the Sil, they become even more CRAZY about Tolkien's world and become hardcore fans. But for the casual reader, I am not surprised that they found the SIl hard to finish.
The Silmarilion FAR exceeds the LOTR. I am passionate about the one and like the other. Adding the Hobbits made Tolkien popular, writing his notes and the tales that lead to the LOTR and combine to make the Silmarilion are what make Tolkien the best modern classic and creator of Fantasy that ever put pen to paper. No other 1900s author put such beauty and sophistication into a such a lore as Tolkien did in the Silmarilion. In my opinion, the Hobbits diminish what he originally set out to do in creating Middle Earth, and appeal to younger more shallow audiences.
LotR is a complete book in itself. But if a person jumps onto Sil without reading LotR or being acquainted with Middle-Earth anyway, I doubt it would be able to hold his interest. And moreover, its not as much a story as it is an appendage, published only to quench the thirst of Middle-Earth lore seekers. But by itself, Sil wouldn't stand.
As much as I love the Silmarillion, I have to agree with Lord Aragorn that it really serves as more of an "appendage" to Middle-Earth than a tale outright. It covers a LOT of ground, from Creation right through the end of the First Age (or Second Age if you count the Akallabeth) (or Third Age if you count "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age"), and many of the stories are barely touched upon. I suppose they're really more like "vignettes" than a complete narrative. Sort of like a "appetizer sampler" at a restaurant. Wink Smilie

But that's one of the (many) reasons why I got Unfinished Tales and some of the HOME series, so I could at least get the "long uncut version" for some of these stories. Last night I finally "took the plunge", I ordered the full HOME series in hardcover (Harper Collins, 2002), because my paperback editions are total CRAP and started falling apart during the first reading. That's why I stopped buying them after HOME #5. (But my LOTR & SILM paperbacks are still going strong 20 years later -- go figure?!)

Anyway, back to the Silm... Hmmmm well what I always liked about it, was the sense of mystery and "reaching back into ancient time", like a mythology. All the same things Berenian likes, I like too. The fact that JRRT even bothered to write these tales at all, just to serve as a backdrop for his Elven languages, that is simply amazing. What I DIDN'T like at first, and it took many readings to get everything straight, was the sheer number of names, places, and events that get literally thrown at you. And because the stories are so short, the names come even faster. Shoot, even after 20 years and dozens of readings, I still get mixed up with some things, like "right guy, wrong battle", or whatever.

So for most of the people who really love Tolkien, yeah the Silm is great. It was our first taste of the First Age and the Elves at the height of their power. But like Aragorn said, for most people (i.e. "mass appeal"), unfortunately it's just not as likely to hold their interest. There's simply too much going on.