Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: races of elves

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > races of elves   
QUESTION 1: in the chapter: of the coming of the elves it says (close to the end of the chapter) that there were three hosts of the the Eldar: the Vanyar, led by Ingwe. the Noldor, led by Finwe. and the Teleri. about the Teleri, are they the sea-elves? the Falmari, led by Elwe and Olwe?????

QUESTION 2: are the Eldalie the Eldar????

QUESTION 3: Who are the Calaquendi, The Moriquendi, and the Umanyar??

im reading the silmarillion now and i went back to this chapter and i didnt quite understand about the races, and i dont want to be confused all through the book. so whichever questions you do know the answer to, can you please answer. it doesnt matter if you dont know all 3...
Those of the teleri who refused the voyage to valinor and remained in middle earth with osse i think became the falmari.

the eldalie is the pural of the eldar, so means the same thing.

The last three races are the elves of darkness: those who refused the great journey and never saw the light of the trees of valinor.
The Falmari were the Teleri who passed into the land of Aman. About them : "The sea-elves therefore they became in the land of Aman, the Falmari, for they made music beside the breaking waves." (The Silmarillion p51)

The Calaquendi, Elves of the Light, is the name for all three kindreds of Elves who passed into the uttermost West in the days of the trees.

The Moriquendi, Elves of Darkness, never crossed the sea. But there are two kinds of Moriquendi : the Avari and the Úmanyar. The Avari never even left Cuiviénen. The Úmanyar went on the westward journey but never reached Aman because they lingered on ME on the shores and forests.
At the end of The Silmarillion, just before the page with the 'Notes on Pronunciation', and after the Family Trees (Genealogies), will be found a chart showing The Sundering of the Elves and some of the names given to their divisions. This chart should go a long ways toward answering the questions posed in this thread. Teacher Smilie