Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: SILMARLLION FILMS - A TRILOGY IDEA

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > SILMARLLION FILMS - A TRILOGY IDEA   << [1] [2]

Nice to hear from you Illuvatatar.  Good layout there.

One thing we can all agree on is that one could film hundreds of hours to tell the full history.

If done correctly, how wonderful it would be.

Cheers and I hope you are well.  Brego.

Every blessing to Illuvatar Brego was a good ambassador you are.

Hello to you all again... Hope you are well as I do look forward to these discussions of The Silmarillion and feel we are all going to get spoilt of late due-to-the-fact that The Hobbit is being expanded and having a third film added to the franchise making it a trilogy! Brilliant! Loving debate from all of us as we chew it up! How then can you not even just allow yourself to imagine and hope just what The Silmarillion would look like? My mind flies away at the magnitude of the idea.

Look forward to more chat about it upon this thread as it seems more pro-active and hopeful for the idea instead of the pessimism I encountered at times before when this type of thread was attempted quite a few months ago. It is testament to the fact that there are other like-minded people out there whom want to hope for the idea of a Silmarillion film or films and I am still one of them! 

Hello again to both Brego and Leelee...

It is really nice to hear from you again, I h ave missed you. And I shall sit back and take in all that wonderful knowledge the both of you have gained. Brilliant.

Illuvatar wrote: Look forward to more chat about it upon this thread as it seems more pro-active and hopeful for the idea instead of the pessimism I encountered at times before when this type of thread was attempted quite a few months ago.

And not that you said otherwise, but this thread is also open to people voicing an opinion of any kind of course.

And I think it should also be open for some to agree or disagree with any 'side claims' that might arise: like for example -- I don't think it was, or would be 'pessimistic' to simply point out that there are no current negotiations to actually make a film...

... if someone were to imply that there were 

Anyway, to respond to one of your scenarios:

"Film One" of The Quenta Silmarillion could be filmed as:

"Film One" (part one) Aniulindale

(between 3 and a half to 4 hours in length)

"Film One" (part two) Aniulindale

(between 3 and a half to 4 hours in length)  

I don't think the general public, at any point in viewing the Silmarillion treated as a whole, is going to want to watch between 7 and 8 hours of Ainulindale alone.

I can't see people sitting for 3.5 to 4 hours to watch one film about this, never mind come back and pay for hours more. Someone could read the whole thing (not that one has to read the whole thing as a narration in a film in any case) in very much less time than 6 or 8 hours, while spectacular visuals occur up on screen, potentially anyway.

Well, let's put it this way, I'm a huge fan of the Silmarillion but I don't think we really need even close to almost 8 hours for this section alone.

Even within the idea of doing, or releasing, this section after others.

Felagund and Show, I both like the way you each visualize the way in which the look and scenery would be like on film plus the way in which to interpret such a gigantic book and story!w   and Sho

hehe Small book, Gigantic story!

Yes...!

Now I know that Puritans will hate this condensing of time and slight rejigging of events - but it may be necessary for the film to work. 

Hmm, I thought it was Purists not Puritans. I know it's not Quakers anyway

I shouldn't have read this before the book.  Now I know that Beren and Luthien are going to die!  Plus more characters that aren't exactly my favorites.  NOO!!  But I do agree that Jackson should direct movies (a trilogy, of course) based off the books.

Nirwen, very good observation, many characters deserve to die in that book,- but can you give it to them.? Gandalf nudge. It might be hard to fit it into three, i was thinking of a hbo or tv show, but eight movies would be very great. Yes pj should direct them.

<< [1] [2]