Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Favorite Tolien Line Of Text

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Favorite Tolien Line Of Text   [1] [2] >>

What is your favorite line of text from our favorite professor? This is mine. "And this habitation might seem a little thing to those who consider only the majesty of the Ainur, and not their terrible sharpness; as who should take the whole field of Arda for the foundation of a pillar and so raise it until the cone of its summit were more bitter than a needle; or who consider only the immeasurable vastness of the World, which still the Ainur are shaping, and not the minute precision to which they shape all things therein."

Isn't it quite impossible to have just one favorite?

I have loads but here is I think one of my most favorites:

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken.
A light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken.
The crownless again shall be king."

I love how it relates to everyone.

True Odette and what a great verse you chose!  I know that a lot of people have probs with the films, However I thought Liv's delivery of the flame of the west poem was very haunting and moving.

Sam's Realisation as he gazed at the star from the plains of Gorgoroth...."( In the end, the shadow is just a passing thing...there is a High & Ancient beauty, that is forever beyond it's reach....)"...

(Hello, everyone, I have been away,,,i come back to you at the turning of the tide...hope everyone has not forgotten me....)

Frodo about the Ring, "I cannot give it up and if you tried to take it from me, I should go mad."

Got a brother who is a bit like that about his buckie.

Nice Pretty Tyrant.

"I feel thin, like butter spread over too much bread"

Another Fave!

Gildor Inglorion....."But we have no need of company...and Hobbits are so dull..."

Sorry, I don't know why...this makes me laugh every time....

Odette is right, that bunch of sentences is damn magical.

I also do know a good song which uses nearly the complete line of the particular song/part.

Summoning - Khazad Dum.

Magnificent one.

Definitely Aragorn and Legolas' lament for Boromir. Love that song, both in Norwegian and English Smile Smilie

Ah, Ringdrotten! Looking forward to getting there myself. Smile Smilie

(I am finally re-reading LOTR, this time in the Norwegian version called Ringdrotten. Such a wonderful version it is. I know I have spoken fondly about the Norwegian translations before, but this is really something special.)

I'm sure you'll love the translation of that song, it's beautiful Smile Smilie

'I'm glad to be with you Samwise Gamghee, here at the end of all things.'

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit....

"There's only one dragon in Bywater...and that's green".....

Priceless, stuff.......

"I hear the whole hill under Bag End is full of jools (sic) "....

"jools" !!  I love it.....

"I cant abide changes, especially changes for the worst..."

"Worst is a bad word, Gaffer, let us hope it won't come to that..."

Gamaliel:That is super..I doubt there has been such an awesome beginning to any other book written.

Alana:Nice ones girl,I see you have a funny bone..that is very important.

I've been thinking of this one quote for a while,so here it goes:

Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin estel anim
(I gave Hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept no hope for myself.)
 -Gilraen.

For me this pretty much sums up the plight of soldiers in wars.Very potent.

"Me go dragon hunting? In my leggings and waistcoat?" --- Farmer  Giles of Ham 

"Knock on the doors with your head  Peregrin Took, but if that does not shatter them and I'm allowed a little peace from foolish questions..."

Gandalf's acerbic wit always made for the best lines, I think.

"all right,,,but it is hard....I had planned on passing The Golden Perch at Stock....best beer in the East Farthing...or used to be....."

"Where did you find them, Maggot...in your Duck Pond?"......

"you come straight home, Maggot...and don't you go arguing with no foreigners...."

"Mrs Maggott will be worriting what with the night getting thick......"

"Worriting" !!...oh, i love this stuff....I could go on & on.....

"Short cuts make long delays, but Inns make longer ones."

"At all costs we must keep you away from The Golden Perch...."

haha...I think we are doing a duet , Gwindor....!!

This my 301 post - not a quote, but an idea if you haven't reached your 111 posts, bilbo's birthday. Look up "I have an ANNOUNCEMENT" - can't do it myself anymore, but feel free to expand on it.

I think we are - have we been introduced? but then I've been absent awhile.

Oh , sorry, Gwindor; no, I dont think we have talked; well, my name is Alana, I am 18 year old girl, living in England; and I love all things LOTR shaped...well, obviously...ha, ha...actually, I just love all fantasy & sci-Fi; I have just seen..(whisper), "Harry Potter"..but i dont know if I am allowed to talk about that on this Forum....??

Probably not Alana, but then I'm not a great HP fan, I think I posted some reasons why on a thread somewhere. But anyway, as you're so keen on quotes look up the one I used for my 111st post - details about two posts back on this thread.- posted yesterday

Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve ....

Truly a fantastic line to use during most speeches!

Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!

Love a Gandalf turn!

Glad you liked it.

Another favourite   "Get up you tom-fool of a Took"

I love this thread. Not only does it remind one of the memorable lines in the body of work, but I think it tells others something about the person who quoted his or her favorite lines.

As mentioned above the dearest to my heart is Frodo telling Sam that he is glad to be with him at the end of all things, such a statement of love and devotion is dear to me. But on the other side I do like Treebeard telling the hobbit not to be so hasty when he is freaking out about the Ents being so slow to come to a decision concerning going to war. I must admit that had I been in that frustrating situating I would have squirmed and pushed and shoved until I was free then ran like the wind toward the battle. Anywhere except in Mordor or with the orcs would be preferable than sitting and sitting and sitting!

I'm not sure I can agree with you on that one, leelee. I really liked the Ents. I agree with you about Mordor and the orcs though.

How could we forget?

"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"

I love that part about Nienna from Silmarillion:

"So great was her sorrow, as the Music unfolded, that her song turned to lamentation long before its end, and the sound of mourning was woven into the themes of the World before it began."

It is beautiful. I also love that famous:

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
 In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

Don't know why, but this part, especially the repeated lines "In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie." always makes me feel like I'm dealing with something... majestic.

Great choices Indis.

"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains..... To evil end shall all things turn that they begin well; and by treason of kin unto kin, and the fear of treason, shall this come to pass. The Dispossessed shall they be for ever!"

Mandos doesn't muck around does he.....

I read the books in Spanish so I don't know the precise words used in the English original text but it said more or less this: There where your greatest fear is, there will be your greatest hope too". (LOTR)

It touched me, I find many good lines in these books. As if Truth would have got a voice and would have begun to note the right simple words with ink on the pages. That's what I admire most of Tolkien, his heart was opened in everything he wrote.  

Lovely Elbereth. Gandalf has another which really makes one think. "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Wow, take a look at this! This thread is amazing!blush I believe all my favorites(mostly being lines of Gandalf's) are already listed here. I love both of the songs Galadriel sings in FotR, especially Namarie, in elvish. It's just so beautiful.

Frodo Baggins to his beloved Sam:Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass. I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing, no veil... between me... and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!  

Ahh Leelee another fine choice. Beautiful written and heartbreakingly delivered in the film. "I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam"

Leelee, that's a good one. I remember the first time I saw the film and felt a deep sudden sadness when heard those words.

And I would add that many sentences Sam says are very certain; even if they sound as old sayings, those things old people tell us often. I love to listen to those kind of things grandparents or the elderly tell us to give advice or to explain happenings that seem strange. They use to talk wisdom, never forget that!

Regarding to the one Brego has chosen, it's also a slap in the face. I mean, no one can judge as justice will be given, in a way or another but what man do has always a reaction; none of us should make justice as justice itself will make its work... despite usually it's difficult to accept it.

Hi again, right now I have remembered a line when I was writing something in Musician's guild...

Galdalf talking to Pippin before the great battle in Gondor: the end? death is just anothe path...

Wonderful line too!

"The sons of Hador were Galdor and Gundor; and the sons of Galdor were Hurin and Huor; and the son of Hurin was Turin the Bane of Glaurung; and the son of Huor was Tuor, father of Earendil the Blessed. The son of Boromir was Bregor, whose sons were Bregolas and Barahir; and the sons of Bregolas were Baragund and Belegund. The daughter of Baragund was Morwen, the mother of Turin, and the daughter of Belegund was Rian, the mother of Tuor. But the son of Barahir was Beren One-hand, who won the love of Luthien Thingol's daughter, and returned from the Dead; from them came Elwing the wife of Earendil, and all of the Kings of Numenor after."

The first time I came across this line it was a string of strange names that meant nothing to me and I wondered what I was getting into. The second time I came across it each name had significance and a story behind it. What a family. Such nobility.

Too true of the Sil Valedhelgwath, but once your half way through, your hooked! haha

Elbereth, beautiful words...I know its not Canon, but the scene between Galndalf and Pip on the balcony of their apartment in Minas Tirith (special addition) has a number of great lines...

PIPPIN: It's so quiet.

GANDALF: It's the deep breath before the plunge.

PIPPIN: I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse. Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?

GANDALF: There never was much hope... Just a Fools hope.

Val, that is so breathtaking, the procession of unbelievable characters. I have to say, when I first went on the Faces page and the reroute to see all the faces of the council members I felt a hushed awe. Non of you meant anything yet, for i knew nothing about you. But since then................wow. I bow in respect.

I love this part:

Gimli: Gandalf! but you are all in white!

Gandalf: Yes, I am white, now. Indeed I am Saruman, one might almost say, Saruman as he sould have been.

Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt light in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done.

And what about Arwen's sentence: THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE.

[1] [2] >>