Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Favorite Tolien Line Of Text

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Favorite Tolien Line Of Text   << [1] [2]

And what about Arwen's sentence: THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE.

Like you, Elbereth, I have sometimes  read Tolkien in Spanish.  And there is one little line in The Fellowship that I read in Spanish first and it made me weep for joy and sorrow all at once.  I have since not had access to that translated edition, and I hesitate to say --but I will-- (don't be angry, brothers and sisters, please) that the phrase is not as heart-rending in the true original English.  Which goes to show that translators of Tolkien are passionate beyond  the call of duty... which is why Tolkien translations are usually much better than many.  (I say this as a translator, myself.)  

Anyway, Elbereth, as I said, that edition passed from my hands and when I bought my English version  I stayed with that... but in my secret heart I long for that line.  If you have a good translation, could you recover it for me?  I would love you forever!

Enough; the line is the following: The Fellowship of the Ring, Many Meetings, second to the last section, before the song to Elbereth Gilthoniel; Bilbo says to Frodo: "Not that hobbits would ever acquire quite the elvish appetite for music and poetry and tales.  They seem to like them as much as food, or more."  Pleeeeaaasssseeee! 

Although, the line is wonderful in English as well, and much sums up my whole attitude towards life.

Another line that makes me weep, and maybe why I reside in Lothlorien... actually the whole final paragraph of the chapter Lothlórien, allow me to transcribe:

"Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth," he said (Aragorn), "and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I.  Come with me!" and taking Frodo's hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and came there never again as living man.

This is so lovely...

And what about...?

"Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee" Gandalf told me" and I don't mean to. Lovely boy this Sam.

Elbereth dear,

Do you have the line in Spanish?  I, too. hunger for it more than for food. 

Yes Marghana, I have it. There are lines that sounds better in Spanish as the translation is wonderful. However I love most of the lines in original English, well, at least some of the ones I heard in the film. Tolkien books are plenty of lines to be remembered and repeated until we learnt its purest meaning.

aurë entuluva

Poor Labadal entered my mind, the part always moves me, and I can never hold the tears

He fingered the carving on the chair, and sighed. 'I wasted my time,' he said, 'though the hours seemed pleasant. But all such things are short-lived; and the joy in the making is their only true end, I guess. And now I might as well give back your gift.'

Great thread, loved reading these.

I can think of a few lines that I'd have to look up to get exactly, but one quote I read that I'll never forget was in an essay the Professor had sent to his son Christopher about his writings...

"...A story must be told or there'll be no story, yet it is the untold stories that are most moving...mountains seen far away, never to be climbed, distant trees never to be approached..." 

Love that.

"Go back to the shadow ! "

Short and sweet !

I love Gandalf's quotes, especially this one:

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement..."

"Be he friend or foe, be he foul or clean

Brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,

Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,

Man yet unborn upon Middle earth,

Neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,

Dread not danger, not Doom itself,

Shall defend him from Feanaro, and Feanaro's kin,

Whoso hideth or hoardeth, or hand taketh, 

Finding keepeth, or afar casteth, 

A Silmaril.This we all swear....

Death we will deal ere Day's ending,

Woe unto world's end!

Our word hear thou!

Eru Allfather! To the everlasting

Darkness doom us if our deed faileth,

On the Holy Mountain hear our witness,

and our vow remember,

Manwe and Varda!"  

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

the oath of Feanor and the doom of Mandos are breath taking. I was impressed and my love of Tolkien was really increased.

<< [1] [2]