Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tales of woe. The First Age.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Tales of woe. The First Age.   

Had an idea for a new thread, regarding Tales from the Silmarillion. 

Which tale, of the Elder Days, do you find most twisted by the arts of the dark powers of Morgoth Bauglir, first and most powerful Dark Lord, original creator of evil and forces of the dark and greatest unfriend of the united people's of Arda?

Mine is the tale of Beleg Cuthalion. Protector and Lord of the fist Sindarin King, Thingol Greymantle, the only Elf to have seen the two trees with his own eyes, and yet did not call Valinor his home. Husband to his blessed Maian Queen Melian, father of Luthien the foremother of Elrond half Elven's family.

Beleg was a tall, fair and powerful high lord of Thingol's halls. He was a valiant and trustworthy ally of Turin, Son of Hurin, one of the greatest Men of the First Age. Beleg strove to steer Turin to a noble path during his many and great battles against the Orcs of Morgoth.  It was Morgoth's curse upon Hurin's family which brought down the Downfall of Beleg Strongbow, in the most horrendous way. For after rescuing a captured Turin from a group of filthy Orcs after days and nights of torture while being dragged to The Dark Lords northern fortress of Thangorodrim. Hurin, tied up in the dark, wet and cold, blinded by lightning from a storm, lashed out and killed Beleg, his friend, thinking he was an Orc come to torture him further. 

This heartbreaking tale is one of the saddest in the many tales of wow, brought about by the malice and hatred of Morgoth and his leagues of dark, fell slaves who called him lord. 

Do you have other tales which show the true horror of Morgoth? Please share.. 

Aaahhhhh again sorry for the lack of paragraphs. The stupid I phone does not like PT..... If anyone can help let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Brego, it might work if you try to "force"some paragraphs using some html codes - try using [br][/br] between paragraphs.

I agree, Beleg was  a tale of woe. When I first started reading your post, prior to getting to your example of Beleg, I thought the whole tale of Hurin being forced to watch his family suffer was the greatest example I could think of. Kind of showed how when Morgoth set his mind to manipulating someone's fate, how bad he could make life for them.

I must admit, although Beleg's fate  was always caught up with that of Turin, I always thought his own misadventurous death was as the result of the malice within Anglachel rather than directly part of Morgoth's manipulations. Eol, in his bitterness towards Thingol, had poured malice into Anglachel, which then became directed at Beleg when he took the sword to Turin. As well as accidentally slaying Beleg with it, Turin also killed himself with the same blade (albeit reforged).

I agree with both tales of grief and inhumane treatment. They are the ultimate tales of those infected and ultimately destroyed by that evil power, sheer madness. I think of them as modern totally dysfunctional families and how the innocent in those families are so traumatized that they too seem to seek out the same sort of horrors themselves for their destinies. I always wonder if  using strict self control instead of lashing out and just doing the craziest emotional thing any of them could have brought the Tormentor to his knees AFter all even in modern wars, much victory of the evil against the innocent came from the tormentor's ability to anger or drive the other to rash behaviour But i wonder if the victims remaining cool and calm despite the volcanoes inside them, if they were to show no reaction in as much as it would take away victory , would the Jerk have had then a crack in him that could have been exploited to the other's advantage? Because it was not as if Eru was dead , he helped countless others. I simply don't believe that in every case there is no hope against curses, it just doesn't compute somehow.

Thoughtful and very good thread Brego. How thrilling that Val contributes. Your coming back to us if even for a little has helped me get through some things Val.A dream of some years come true.

Thanks Val. I'll give it a try.

Quote:
AFter all even in modern wars, much victory of the evil against the innocent came from the tormentor's ability to anger or drive the other to rash behaviour But i wonder if the victims remaining cool and calm despite the volcanoes inside them, if they were to show no reaction in as much as it would take away victory ,

This seemed to be particularly true with the elves, Leelee. There are numerous occasions when their passions seem to have got the better of them, driving them into rash actions. The occasion I always remember the most is at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad ( the fifth battle of the War of Beleriand), when Gwindor of Nargothrond is enraged by the torture and mutilation of his brother. Unable to remain calm he breaks the defensive line Fingon was holding at Eithel Sirion and charges Morgoth's army, followed by most of the Western army. Although they forced Morgoth's army to retreat for three days, when they rallied, the elven ranks were too dis-organised to hold them back.

In contrast the dwarves seem much more capable of holding their calm - probably due to their origins of coming from stone. In the same battle, they are the only ones able to withstand the fires the Glaurung, enabling the elves from Gondolin to make an orderly retreat.

Great example Val. The battle of unnumbered years is truly one of the greatest examples of the talent for manipulation owned by Melkor. He always seemed to know just what to do to turn the tide to his favour. And of course contains many tales of wow.

Val, no luck with paragraph code....  Just updated on my PC and it works, so must be an Iphone thing.

This is such an interesting question.  When you consider that just about every woe that befell Middle Earth was a result of Morgoth in one way or the other. 

I would have to agree that the tale of the Children of Hurin was probably the worst though.  I was aghast when Beleg was slain by Turin.  When I recovered from my horror, I still could not believe what I read.  Imagine Turin's torment at killing his best friend.  The person who loved and protected him from the time he was a boy.  And Hurin witnessing all which was happening to his family.  Evil indeed.

I also found the fall of Gondolin awful.  Maybe Maeglin's treachery was not a direct result of Morgoth, but I am sure that there was some influence.   I wonder if his dark heart was made all the darker by the shadow which Morgoth cast over Middle Earth?

I

Nirnaeth Arnoediad,such a sad and bloody battle,the battle of unumbered tears

Yes Amras, and along with the penultimate Hill of Slain, what more could one use as proof of Tolkien's anti War themes in all of his great works.

i think that Fingon did not deserve that brutal death.Really,he got smashed into the earth like ten times,ouch!