Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Silmarillion Read @YouTube

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Read @YouTube   

Here is compiled a list of chapters of the reading of the Silmarillion that have been posted on You Tube. control and enjoy!

HERE is were it all would have been listed if it hadnt been against the rules: " ----------"

Apparently it is against the forum rules to post any links of tolkien stuff from You Tube as i was informed, and I quote:

Message Subject: Forum rules, links!

Message From: Arwen undómiel On: Sunday 30th September 2012

Dear Azaghal,

About the posting of links to YouTube or other sites.

I saw that you made a thread called: ''Lord of the Rings Audio U-Tube'' I have to say it were nice recordings, but It isn't allowed to post links to sites which have adds, links or content that may be unsafe for children. And YouTube has a lot of adds and also videos and links which can be unsafe for children. Planet-tolkien is certified as a "Family Friendly Website". This means that there are rules to which we must keep us. This is for the safety of all the members of Planet-tolkien. Planet-tolkien is a website for children of all ages. So it isn't allowed to post links to websites which can content shocking things. So don't post links to YouTube next time. That's only allowed in the Advertisement section of the forum. And even than you have to watch out with what you post.

Here is a link to the forum rules, make sure you read them: Rules. You can always find them at the top of every page. If you have questions about the rules just let us know.

In fellowship,

The Council 

Hi Azaghal, I have the CD's of the audio book of these links.  I think its read by Martin Shaw.  His voice is wonderful and he does some character voices very subtly.  His Melian is hilarious.

Thanks for the links,

BTW there are 13 cds in the collection.

Thanks Brego, yeah, i was thinking of saving up and buying the set.  These recordings are extrememly helpful for me regarding pronunciation. 

Also, his glaurung is kinda neat! LOL

Yes he envelopes the total evil yet intelligence of the Father of Dragons. I picked up two possible bloopers in pronunciation. Minas/Mynas and Melkor and Melkar. But Martin does a wonderful job. Also love his Feanor in the confrontation with Melkor and ultimately the Curse of the Silmarils. I often just pic a cd and listen to it on a long drive.
Yes he envelopes the total evil yet intelligence of the Father of Dragons. I picked up two possible bloopers in pronunciation. Minas/Mynas and Melkor and Melkar. But Martin does a wonderful job. Also love his Feanor in the confrontation with Melkor and ultimately the Curse of the Silmarils. I often just pic a cd and listen to it on a long drive.

The Minas I heard was 'correct enough' although you're correct in that it should not be minas -- with i as in English eye -- anywhere, so the reader appears to have goofed in this way at least in one place.

And not that I've listened to all of these (never have), be the reader stresses Iluvatar wrongly, and mispronounces Maedhros too. But nice voice! And further considering this name of God...

... Ilúvatarvatar only has one L in it... not two.

This might be the most misspelled word 'in Tolkien' as it's written often enoughtten. Eru is safer   

Thanks Galin, I had trouble with the pronunciation of Illuvatar as well.

Re Minas I meant he perhaps accidently mispronounces it Mynas once or twice, as well as Minas.

Im not familiar with his acting work, but apparently he is well regarded.

Yes Ilúvatarvatar should be stressed (primary stress) on the second syllable rather: ilUvatarvat.

But it stil shoulld have onlly one L when you spel it. That part of my post didn't lland I guess

sh should be st 

I know I always mis spell it.....

But alas I think Ive been pronouncing it correctly.

Thanks Galin

Here's a very interesting guide to pronunciation from Christopher Tolkien (some humour in here too). It refers to nomenclature in The Lord of the Rings, but for example you will hear Minas Tirith and know how to pronounce Sindarin short i in other words.

From this, and hearing Tolkien's own pronunciation of short i in Grey-elven, I feel more supported that the pronunciation in the films on this point is incorrect. For Mithril it's not meethreel as in the films, with i as in English 'machine', but Mithril with both vowels as in English 'sick'.

Of course there will be certain instances of i as in English 'machine', but I won't delve into that for now. Another interesting pronunciation in the clip is the primary stress on Gil-galad.

The clip does not start off with Christopher Tolkien, so you have to wait a bit.

Link removed

How very, very British they all are!  Wonderful, thanks Galin.

Everyone this is highly recommended, if you haven't already heard it. 

One word I had wrong was Gwaihir...

Another word I picked up as being mispronounced in the films is Undolmiel.

Galin, just a note, you probably need to un-link that you tube link in your last post, dont want to get in trouble!