Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Sting

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Sting   
Everybody knows that sting was made in Gondolin with orcrist and glamdring.And that it had powers against spiders.But who do you think it was made for i personaly belive it was made for earendil . Please leave your thougts sorry for bad spelling

I personally find the idea of Sting being made in gondolin beside Glamdring and Orchrist hard. I dont have any clue as to where it was made, but i like the idea of it being created in Doriath.

or Narogthrond.

'Now he drew it out. It shone pale and dim before his eyes. 'So it is an elvish blade, too,' he thought; 'and goblins are not very near, and yet not far enough.'

'(...)  But somehow he was comforted. It was rather splendid to be wearing a blade made in Gondolin for the goblin-wars of which so many songs had sung; and also he had noticed that such weapons made a great impression on goblins that came upon them suddenly.'

JRRT, The Hobbit

Probably judging from Elrond's explanation of the weapons that were found, although Elrond speaks of Glamdring and Orcrist specifically, Bilbo seems to believe his blade was also from Gondolin.