Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Crafting of the Silmarils

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Silmarillion > Crafting of the Silmarils   
Does anyone have any ideas or theories on what materials FŽanor might have used to craft the Silmarils?
It is made from silima.

That's helpful! There is a fairly detailed description of how Feanor made them in the Sil, that's probably as close as you will get.

In Morgoth's Ring it says FŽanor and his Sons "travelled far and wide upon the confines of Valinor, going even to the borders of the Dark and the cold shores of the Outer Sea, seeking the unknown." I have a theory, that maybe while FŽanor and his Sons were wandering about these places, they could have discovered a web of Ungoliant. Maybe he used strands from her web to craft the jewels.

The web of Ungoliant was Unlight, literally the opposite of light. Not just the absence of light (shadow) but something of its own that soaks up light. I find it hard to believe that the light of the two trees could coexist with Unlight, I think if Feanor used Unlight he would end up with something that did not shine of its own light even in dark treasure rooms.

You say the web soaks up light, so maybe it was a material of darkness needed to keep the light of the trees imprisoned in the Silmarils

I personally don't think it would trap the light of the trees, I think it would just absorb the light completely. I will return to write why in a few hours.

You could be right Curufinwe, it was just an idea, I guess it will never be known what he really used anyway

The description of Unlight

From Chapter 8 of the Silmarillion, of the Darkening of Valinor

There she (Ungoliant) sucked up all light that she could find, and spun it forth again in dark nets of strangling gloom...Unlight, in which things seemed to be no more, and which eyes could not pierce, for it was void...The Light failed; but the Darkness that followed was more than loss of light. In that hour was made a Darkness that seemed not lack but a thing with being of its own: for it was indeed made by malice out of Light...

Your theory seems to be that the light was held in place by Unlight. However, the Unlight would not hold the light in place, but would make it seem to be no more. Look at the first line, light gets sucked up and turned into dark nets of strangling gloom, not sucked up and held in place to shine brightly.

Thank you Curufinwe, I think there is a better description of the making of the Silmarils in The Lost Tales: Part One. It says he used stuffs like: pearl, luminous phosphor-light, foam, white lamps, silver candles, opals, he bathed these stuffs in phosphorescence and the radiant dew of Silpion, and added a tiny drop of light from Laurelin... Still nothing relating to my web theory but it is still quite interesting.

Lost Tales usually has more in depth descriptions, but the Sil is generally accepted as more like what "really happened."