Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I Sometimes Wonder.........

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Unfinished Tales > I Sometimes Wonder.........   
I recall a few years ago reading from The Letters, it was an excerpt from the end years of the dear professor's life. Edith's health was not good and I cannot remember the exact reason why, but the couple moved to a new location. And alas at least one box of his writings were missing, I don't think they ever surfaced. And I wonder and wonder if they were a myriad of scraps of this and that , something toward the Silmarillion and the Unfinished tales. sigh...............what a tragedy.

It is such a tragedy isn't it?

Imagine what treasure could have been in that box?I am yet to read the Letters..sounds intriguing to say the least.

Do you recall the specific letter Leelee? though I suppose your description narrows it down and I can take a look at the letters written in later years...

No, not specific, for several letters seem to be muddled together in my mind that he wrote during that chaotic time frame, but it should take me little time to find it, which I will try to do today. I remember feeling rather hopeless and depressed for both the professor and Edith who seemed to be suffering so much. And, someone, you may remember, sent them either wine or some sort of spirits to enjoy in the cold and the damp and they seemed so childishly happy and grateful. It hurt my heart.

Well Galin, I spent forever reading reading reading, until I felt like screaming. Perhaps I was muddled , though the word box sticks with me. I only read about one third of the last half of the professor's letters and number 250 or whatever, I am so tired I cannot remember, talks about moving and the sort of chaos ensuing and that papers went missing. But at the end of that particular letter it also says that most of them or a lot of them were recovered at some point. It did and it did not seem familiar to me. When I get a chance I will look more. oh well...................

Perhaps one day in the future someone will happen across an old box which contains these missing marvelous writings.  Lets just hope that it is found by someone who has some way of telling that the box contains precious items which need to be cherished...  Although I live in Australia and have virtually no chance at being the one who finds the box, just imagine how amazing it would be to actually read the great mans actual hand writing after all these years........

G'day dear Brego, how I wish I could be in Australia right now, in the outback  doing something wonderful, or in Sydney perhaps attending a concert (if not the philharmonic then perhaps the Wiggles, : Wink Smilie  and then watching the stars. oh well. I wish if it could be anyone that finds these treasures you would be one of the privileged, your dedication to the things the professor wrote and your deep interest makes me feel you richly deserve it.

Aw Lovely Lee Lee.  Australia would welcome you anytime!

I am truly going to see what I can arrange this next year and hopefully get my family to come. And since I cannot just now come, I shall put on the Koala brothers and sit and have a cup of tea with Misty and Lolly and Ned and all the rest with my little one. I just love those guys. And now I just have to add to my prayers that you shall find something awesome. I mean it does happen. For years I wanted a special minora and they are so fantastically pricey. One day I was in a shop that sold new and antique things and I looked up and nearly fainted. There before my eyes was not only a minora, but one of a limited set hand hammered in gold and made right in Jerusalem. I expected the price to be hundreds of dollars if not more, but the people that were selling had no clue what it was and asked only about thirty dollars! I still look at it with awe and wonder if some elf hammered it and put it to the fire while dreaming of things long ago.

Beautiful thoughts as usual dear Lee Lee. I've hugged a Koala and a Tassy Devil. Marsupials are wonderful. Almost totally harmless to we Elves and Men. So warm and ancient. I'm lucky enough to often see them, usually fleeting but always special.