Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: bestiary book

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Other... > bestiary book   
Tolkien Bestiary
Author: David Day

Here is the comprehensive reference guide for the millions of fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. All of the imaginary beasts, monsters, fauna, and flora of J. R. R. Tolkien's lush fantasy worlds of Middle-Earth and the Undying Lands are presented in more than 100 black-and-white illustrations and 36 full-color paintings. A chronology of all the historical ages, a general index, genealogies of the races of men, maps, and a special index referring to Tolkien's original works are also included.

that is a book i want to get. i guess i have a lot of shopping to do this summer. my wallet is going to be considerably lighterSad Smilie

(Grondy removed the book's price, otherwise this post was an advertisement rather than a review.)
I bought that book when I first became interested in LotR and it was pride of my bookcase for many years. For a Tolkien beginner it is very useful, and the pictures are great. As I delved deeper into Tolkien's works, however, I found it less and less useful and have not opened it for many years now. I find Foster's Complete Guide to Middle Earth far more detailed, although there are no pictures.

Also, I do not like the maps in the beginning of the Bestiary. They are inaccurate.
Hmmm I had the same experience with Characters from Tolkien by David Day. It is a great book, really, but incorrect at many places. Still it makes a pleasant read though.
ill have to consider getting it.ill look around