Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Beowulf

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Other... > Beowulf   
I'm interested in reading Beowulf, can anyone suggest a copy (plus ISBN number). One in English please don't know how to read/speak other languages.

I tried an e-bay search but this got very confusing with items from comics to Christopher Lambert playing a space Beowulf?? (I may get this as I think Chris is great).

Thanks Big Smile Smilie
Hi Maydmarion -- I like Seamus Heaney's translation, but a friend of mine actually prefers Frederick Rebsamen's translation.
Maydmarion -- I also suggest you read Tolkien's The Monsters and the Critics if you have yet to do so.
Thank you for the advice and help. I am buying the Beowulf you suggested but I've never heard of the monster book before - I will look into this >^..^<

Marion Big Smile Smilie
Oh, I suppose I should mention that The Monsters and the Critics is actually an essay by Tolkien, so you can find it in criticism about Beowulf or in texts containing Tolkien's literary criticism.
Quote:
I tried an e-bay search but this got very confusing with items from comics to Christopher Lambert playing a space Beowulf?? (I may get this as I think Chris is great).

I saw that movie, and it really has nothing to do with the original tale. It takes places in a Luis Royo-esque universe, and is really only hack 'n slash until the end - Grendel looks like an alien from the Alien movies.

However, it is better than LOTR.

And oh, Mr Lambert has white hair in it.
For the 'never wants to be released in the U.S.' movie:
http://www.beowulf-movie.com/
(I'm only a little bitter Smile Smilie)

I own 'The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader' by Turgon of Tor.n, there is a nice copy of Beowulf in it, although I fear it might be cropped... It is the version translated by John R. Clark Hall circa 1911.