Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Notion Club Papers

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Other... > The Notion Club Papers   
I was reading an essay by David Bratman entitled 'A Game of You - Yes, You' found in the new The Sandman Papers edited by Joe Sanders, when last night I ran into this:
Quote:
"You have been foolish and unconsidered in your actions," Dream tells Thessaly, the witch-woman, near the end [of A Game of You by Neil Gaiman]. "You will hardly survive another century if you continue in this manner of behavior, lady"(170). The spell that enables her to travel causes a storm to rise in New York. Gaiman likens this storm to the tornado in The Wizard of Oz, a story referenced several times in A Game of You (Bender 116), but it reminds me more of the great English storm of 1987 so uncannily predicted by Tolkien in his unfinished novel of the 1940s, The Notion Club Papers.

Has anyone heard of this title by Professor, unfinished or otherwise?
For some reason the date of this thread's creation didn't show up under 'Other...' on the main menu, so this post is trying to force it. I'll delete this post following someone's reply to my above query.
I read it (though not recently); what there is of it anyway.

Basically The Notion Club Papers is supposed to be a surviving record of meetings of an Oxford society during 1986 and 1987. Part of the fictional framework includes a book 'Leaves from the Notion Club Papers' edited by a character called Howard Green and published in 2014. Green found the club's papers after Summer Examinations of 2012, which appeared to be incomplete reports of meetings from about 1980 to 1990. In a note to the second edition, Mr. Green notes the opinions of two other persons (these people having examined the manuscript of the papers) who say that the actual paper used, and style of writing, suggest the materials date to around the 'Six Years War' (The Second World War), further noting that the idiom of the dialogues is old-fashioned and does not represent with any fidelity the colloquial language of the 1980s or present.

Anyway, since the storm was brought up in that quote, in the actual entries, under night 67, June 12th 1987, a great storm hits one of the meetings, and a character named Lowdham went up to another named Jeremy 'who was cowering against the wall, and he took his hands.' And...

Quote:
'Come, Abrazān!' he said. There is work to do. Let us look to our folk and see to our courses, before it is too late!'

'It is too late Nimruzīr,' said Jeremy. The Valar hate us. Only darkness awaits us.'

And they run out, while the rest of the group sat huddled in candle-light for three hours as the storm raged. Christopher Tolkien notes that his father's 'prevision' was only out by four months, as 'the greatest storm in living memory struck southern England, causing vast damage, on October 16th.'