Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: roverandom

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Other... > roverandom   
what kind of book is this?
i was thinking about buying it when a saw it a few days back.
Should i take my wallet and run to the book store?
Arath. Roverandom (IMO) is a book well worth getting, its a smaller book than say one of the volumes of lord of the rings, so isnt too expensive (i belive my copy was £5.99, but i could be , mistaken) bassically it deals with the adventures of a dog, Rover. In the story, an irritable wizard turns Rover into a toy, and Rover goes to the moon and under the sea in order to find the wizard again to turn him back into normal-size . Tolkien wrote Roverandom for his son Michael to amuse him upon the loss of his favorite toy — a little toy dog. it writing style its simmilar to the hobbit or farmer giles of ham.

in short, i would strongly urge you to purchase it asap

Big Smile Smilie
xx
I'm not sure it's worth purchase (except if you are intent on collecting and studying all the published works of Tolkien because it's Tolkien, and not for plot or character interest).

However I would say it's worth a read if you have some time on your hands or are interested, check it out of the library.
Quote:
In the story, an irritable wizard turns Rover into a toy, and Rover goes to the moon and under the sea in order to find the wizard again to turn him back into normal-size .

Was he the dog of the Baron von Münchhausen?
No he was his own dog; though Tolkien had probably read about the Baron. Or was that the other way around? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Or rather, he was Jules Verne's dog.
Oh you still haven't changed at all, Vir. Roverandom as Jules Vernes' dog???

Anyways, I've just finished Roverandom. I still like The Hobbit better, but I haven't read any other children's books by Tolkien, so I won't jump to the conclusion that that was his best one yet.

But still, Roverandom is pretty darn good. I didn't really catch all those references to contemporary politics or wahtever, but I thought the word-play cute and Rover's a very lovable dog (though I thought the Moon-dog was fiestier and more of a doggy character than Roverandom)
i got Roverandom from the library.but still didn't read it.