Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Frodo the Nine-Fingered

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Other... > Frodo the Nine-Fingered   
My daughter was upset when I read The Lord of the Rings to her, and at the end when Frodo and Sam hear their 'heroic tale,' it isn't relayed in song or poem form in the book. Understandably, we had already experienced that adventure in long form, and from an author's standpoint it makes sense not to include it, but I wonder if Tolkien wrote a poem or lay about Frodo and Sam for his own pleasure? If so, where would we find it?
Great query Brandelion! I too would love to hear a song of Frodo and Sam. Funny I'm now re reading TLOTR and have just read Sam pondering songs regarding themselves while in ithilian just before they meet Faramir. In the film it happens a little later. It's a great chapter and I'm sure that the elves or at least Aragorn would have come up with something in future days. Perhaps Bilbo may have come up with something in the furthest west, which may have been sung for centuries after.

Nothing that heroic and middle-earth saving could ever go without songs and such by those who actually knew what the two had accomplished. Such as the folk in the Shire seemed unaware and were rather dismissive; but all the Rohirrim and all Elven folk would have known plus the Dwarves that had contact with Elves and other dwarves and of course all from the Golden City. If as the movie depicts they all bowed or at least honored the hobbits that alone, being such an extraordinary thing to do by a king and not just any king- The High King of both Elves and Men to say the least.

If that does not comfort your daughter, you might remind her that today, this very hour there is someone, somewhere most likely inspired to write a song, an epic poem to honor Master Frodo of the Shire, and the other Hobbits, particularly the hero of the story,Mister Samwise Ghamgee.

Sam stood up and cried oh great glory and splender, and all my wishes have come true; This is in response to King Ellesar putting Frodo and Sam on thrones and then they were about to listen to a lay from a minstrel of Gondor who was going to tell the magnificent story of how these hobbits in effect saved middle earth by their courage. You will find this in chapter 4  of The Return of the King. So the greatest personage in the land gave Sam his heart's desire as well as all of us who have humbly followed.

Well found Lee Lee, isn't it wonderful that Aragorn took his great knowledge of life and love into the Kingship with him.  So many other Kings mentioned in the LOTR and the Sil have major attitude and eventually bring them selves and their Kingdoms undone, whether Numenorean, Elf or Eastern Man.

"My friends, You bow to no one!"

The Professor himself was of the opinion that in the end, Frodo "failed", yet cannot be blamed for it. Also interestingly, there's the matter of the "finger of God" when destroying the Ring.

My very heart rejoices when Vir is here. What is this about the 'finger of God' Vir, is that a biblical allusion or something very unrelated. I don't think I know about this or have forgot or overlooked it. Could you please share?

JRRT mentions it in letter 181, which deals with Frodo's failure. They refer to 'intrusions' of the One in the Music of the Ainur, Elves and Men are the first of these intrusions.

Thankyou very much. I shall read it straightaway. I cannot remember this , so I must have read quickly and without much understanding.

Interesting point Virumor.

I noted the other day while reading the Sil-  The last chapter regarding the end of the Third age, I cant think of the correct title.  Tolkien states that in the memories of the Elves Frodo did actually cast the ring into the fire.  There is no mention of Gollum's part in this. I don't know if this was due to Frodo and Sam simply not mentioning it to anyone and therefore not becoming Lore or if is some kind of oversight...

Also Tolkien seems to have some kind of affinity with fingers and hands. Two of his great hero's lose a hand each. Sauron searches for the ring of Felagund from the detached hands of the heirs Isildure.  Sauron loses a finger. Shelob loses a claw.  I find it interesting...

Edit - Oh yes Melkor goes halt of one foot toward his end & Frodo chop off the Barrow Wight;s hand whist on the Downs. 

Oh dear Brego, now more things to look up. . As for the appendages, that is horrifying to me. Just like Dick Francis and his one jockey, losing a hand and then forever after in any story he was in , the enemy always hurt his other hand. I could not bear to read anything about that jockey after a bit. Perhaps he saw so many with mangled or missing hands or fingers during his stint in the military, Other than that I cannot think why he would have a fascination with it.

Virumor, you're post about "Finger of God" reminds me of the term "eucatastrophe" which I came across while reading Paolo Gulisamo's book about Tolkien's works (which term originally Tolkien coined,as you probably know) The term means exactly what you described - when in LOTR Frodo fails, and the fate seems to finally complete itself we see Gollum fighting for the Ring and - by a 'lucky accident' - destroys it.

Eucatastrophe is somewhat related to catholic religion, so your description as a "Finger of God" in this "Frodo the Nine-Fingered" topic is probably the best description possible.

I agree |Indis. You know though the way it is portrayed in the movie Frodo is more like Frodo the nine point five isn't he. He keeps half the finger doesn't he?