Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Warcraft Books

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Other... > Warcraft Books   

Yup, Warcraft. I know that many of you know the games and well, who wouldn't know World of Warcraft. But.. The real question is: How many of you know that there are plenty of books about Warcraft and it's lore/grand storyline?

I first heard about the books during high grade, when I started to play Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. Around those times, I learned about Warcraft games and that an MMORPG called 'World of Warcraft' was about to be released sometime in 2004. Back then, I didn't have a good internet connection at my disposal and thus, I could only play Diablo 2 and even that very poorly.

Then WoW was released and two of my schoolmates almost immediately started to play it. I wish I could've bought it too, but I couldn't. But it happened so that my schoolmates started to talk about Warcraft and it's lore and that even written novels/books existed about it and.. I got quite interested. I started to seek out those books - from air and earth, and it took me a long while to find one. What I found was a book called 'The Last Guardian'.

And at that time, I was some 15-16 years old. Having played Diablo 2 for nearly two years actively, I slowly stopped playing it and started reading the book among many other fantasy books I had had in store for some time. And woah, the book proved to be absolutely glorious, simply fantastic. Author of the book is Jeff Grubb, one of the long-running writers of Warcraft novels. Others worth of mentioning would be: Richard A. Knaak and Christie Golden. Be sure to check their work out. Good writers. All of them.

But yeah, so began my interest for the universe of Warcraft and sooner than I even realized it, I was already playing WoW. This happened back in early 2006 and ever since then, I've managed to gather all of the classic Warcraft books and some of the newer World of Warcraft books.

WoW books are good too, but the older Warcraft books are simply just better. Nevertheless, I've always thought the storyline behind both Warcraft and WoW to be quite rich and exciting and I don't see this point of view changing anytime soon.

You've my recommendation.

Here's a wikipedia link - as means to find more information about the books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft

Would definitely have to agree with pretty much everything. Personally the WoW books were a little too cheesy for me (and I played A LOT of the game), but the original Warcraft series is great. Lots of war AND politics with great character development. I've only read maybe 2 or 3 but I did really enjoy them (same with the Starcraft books too if you're into sci-fi), and have been meaning to read others. I read so much and it was years ago that I read them, so I don't even remember which ones they were :/     But I do remember liking them haha

Recommendations on your favorites?

I

Ey, Balrogs. I'm glad that there's someone else out there, who likes of these books. And yeah, the old WC books are just amazing, but I've read one good book from the newer WoW ones too.

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden. I really liked that book and well, Arthas' story has been among my favorites for a very long time. It's more than just captivating to say the least. I mean, the story as a whole is a very good example of 'a hero turned into an evil villain'.

But, from the classics, my favorites stand in a following order:

War of the Ancients-trilogy by Richard A. Knaak

The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb

Lord of the Clans by Christie Golden

And yeah, I've been thinking about getting some Diablo books. I know that Richard used to write those back in the day. He's written like 5 or 6, so there's actually something to buy, if I chose to go that way. Though my classic Warcraft collection is actually missing a book. (Just reminded myself of the fact..)

Night of the Dragon.