Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Who here did NOT cry when Gandalf fell?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Fellowship of the Ring > Who here did NOT cry when Gandalf fell?   [1] [2] >>
No way, there was some dust in my eye, I had a cold... erm... those were tears of laughter? Okay, so maybe I did...
I had tears in my eyes, but they were not trickling down my face. I felt exactly the same, when the music creeped into it. I felt more emotional when they came out of Moria, when they were all crying. That just got me going. Big Laugh Smilie

I found it hard not crying also when, Gandalf falls, in TTT, but I stopped when I realised he wasn`t going to die because, he grabbed his sword and battled with the Balrog. I was okay then. I didn`t want to get all embarresed. The worst thing was, what looked like, a 15 year old was sitting next to me.

I`m very emotional, the slightest thing can make me cry. Films, not being hurt. I`m not a wimp.

C ya l8tr! Cool Smilie
I don't remember crying at the part when Gandalf fell in the movie, maybe there was a tear or two but I know that upon re-watching the film it's not "the part" where I get all choked up everytime I watch it.

When I did cry, just from being moved, not sad, was when Gandalf revisited the hobbits in Fangorn forest. I love REUNIONS!
Well it seems as if nobody wept as much as me when I saw him fall.....well actually it wasnīt when he fell that I wept ALOT but after he fell when the music kicked in....it was really emotional!

Moderator Smilie No smilies in signatures please. Moderator Smilie

[Edited on 5/3/2003 by Grondmaster]
Aule`s absolutely right. I`m with you Aule.

Did anyone cry when, in FOTR, Frodo was in Arwen`s arms and nearly died? I cryed quite a bit then. I hope someone else cryed then, otherwise, I`lll look like a right idiot! Big Laugh Smilie

Do you think it`s not brave when boys cry? I think boys have as much right as crying as girls. Some people think that if a man crys, over something like a film, then they`re wimps! I can`t believe that. The people that hold their emotions in are wimps. Everyone should express their emotions.

My brother takes the right micky out of me when I cry and he doesn`t. I`d like to punch him each time he does that! Mad Smilie

Does anyone feel the same?

Sheryl xx Cool Smilie

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Sheryl]
I didn't cry when Gandalf fell, coz i knew he would come back in second movie.
I've never being much of them crying type but the scene when Gandalf fell was really touching!Didn't make cry thought! Very Sad Smilie
And as for Sheryl:
Well men are hiding their feelings...but I know that if a man cries then he is in deep sh*t!

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Elda]
I`m a more sensitive person, unlike others. I don`t mind though. I`m not really sensitive, but I`m a bit of a softy. Do you get me?

Now, back to the boy issue.....................

Why would he be in deep poopy-doo? Why?

Sheryl xx

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Sheryl]
Because most men(90%) are either afraid or ashamed to admit their feelings...so if a man such as the moentioned above cries that means he's got a real problem(do you follow me).

[Edited on 4/3/2003 by Elda]
That was very well said, and I 100% agree!! Wink Smilie I happen to know some emotional men and they`re lovely people and they haven`t got any problems. I like them just as they are.

C ya l8tr. xx
No no no no...you got me all wrong lol!
When I said problem I never meant they are girlies or something like that.I meant that most men cry(at least the ones I know) when something really terrible happens to them!Personally I got no problem with that Sheryl(I can't think of someone who does actually).
I cried... Very Sad Smilie
That`s okay, Elda. I got the wrong end of the stick. My fault.....
When did you cry Air?

C ya l8tr xx

When Gandalf fell, of course.. Ay, into the black hole.. the one I cherished so dearly.. But then he came back and all was well.
Oh, right, the same here. It was quite sad, too sad. I`ve seen sadder things, but, that still got me crying.

c ya l8tr. xx
Yeah, Exactly.. Still, I think it was the music that made me cry, mostly. The sad music. Music always bring out feelings within me.
Me too!! Big Laugh Smilie I`m sensitive with sad music and sad scenes, especially when they`re put together.
Big Smile Smilie
Well, I guess a lot of people are sensitive. Thought it looks very silly without the music. Just try to watch a movie with no music, especially a horrormovie. It looks ridiculous! Big Laugh Smilie
I totally agree with that. You can`t have a horror movie without some sort of horror music. The same with romance,.............. e.t.c...............

Well c ya l8tr. xx
Yeah. Uhm, but still, Romance, you can do without the music, it's ok. Not pretty, but it works. Horromovies however.. And they are supposed to be scary!! I just laugh at them.

Anyway, from this we can say that music is important no matter what film it is.
That`s true.

Have you seen THIRTEEN GHOSTS? That isn`t scary and it is. SIGNS is quite scary, but isn`t. SCREAM 1, 2 & 3, are quite scary.
Yeah, I saw both Signs and Thirteen Ghosts on the cinema, but I didn't think they were half as scary as The Gift. That was REALLY scary! Shocked Smilie Pumpkin Smilie
Signs mostly played on the fantasies of peoples minds, thinking aliens are dangerous.. Paranoid Smilie So it didn't needed much music.

Scream 1, 2 & 3... Yeah, I've seem them and I know what you did last summer 1 & 2 and all of them. So I don't think they are scary at all. I've seen the same thing too much. :/
Please don't let this thread turn into other movies folks.
I didn't cry when Gandalf fell because I had seen the other lotr movies so I knew he would fall and come back. But the music along with the hobbits crying was heartbreaking. Orlando has a wonderfull sad-face, and the little tilt on the head he does makes it perfect.

It's not that people die that makes me sad because I belive they are in a better place, it's the grief of those left behind that gets to me. Unless it's my own grief, then I cry because I miss them..
Quote:
I didn't cry when Gandalf fell because I had seen the other lotr movies so I knew he would fall and come back. But the music along with the hobbits crying was heartbreaking. Orlando has a wonderfull sad-face, and the little tilt on the head he does makes it perfect.

It's not that people die that makes me sad because I belive they are in a better place, it's the grief of those left behind that gets to me. Unless it's my own grief, then I cry because I miss them..

Yes AmariŽ I thought it was sad when I started to see Frodo screaming after his fallen friend and Aragorn who is all stumpt and Sam, Merry and Pippin crying really hard+ Gimli trying to go after Gandalf in grief.... AND THE MUSIC!!!!! DAMN!!! it was completely sad....I wept...yes the great Vala AulŽ wept....
I don't remember crying when Gandalf fell, but it was an emotional moment though, 2nd to Boromir dying.
Of course it was the Music, I knew Gandalf wasn't dead, so there was no normal emotional response, it has to be the only real good point to Howard Shore's otherwise dull and uninspiring score.
I didn`t find Boromir dying sad, until Aragorn stood up and you saw a single tear trickle down his face.
I did not get upset the first time I watched Gandalf fall,but after a bit I started to fall more in-love with the characters of LoTRs that it made me upset or cry when they where hurt or killed in the movies/books.So I ended up crying(even though I knew the ole man was going to come back wiser and stronger) when he fell.
And then there is Borimor over taken by his desire for the one ring,in the 2 parts(when he follows Frodo in the woods and then when he is killed by orcs) of the last of his life I cry ever single time,especially when you see the pain and hurt in Aragorn's face when he is by Borimor's side and hearing his last words.I hope I have not veared off the subject.

Fea
Thanx Grond. I would say I drew it myself, but then everyone else would ask for one. Big Laugh Smilie
I did not cry when Galdalf fell because I was sure he would come back, even though i didn't know it. I did cry at the end of the film, when Boromir died, because it's just so sad to see him understand his mistakes (trying to take the ring from Frodo) and regret what he's done, and die right away, brave and honorable and not thinking of himself, but of others. I also cried when Sam ran after Frodo (when he got into the boat to go to Mordor alone).
Quote:
I also cried when Sam ran after Frodo (when he got into the boat to go to Mordor alone).
You're right, Elentari. Although I didn't cry, that was the saddest bit of the two films.
Nice Avatar, Peredhil.
Now that I look at it, are you sure you are really Half-elvin and not a Rashaka? I seem to see a bit of feline influence in your persona. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

No, I didn't cry in the movie when Gandalf fell; I may have the first time I read the book though. I did cry when King Theoden died, crushed beneath poor old faithful Snowmane, with Merry standing there blubbering, with his new friend Dernhelm alias Eowyn beaten to her knees by the Nazgul Lord, and neither he nor Eowyn able to help his kindly old father figure regain his mount, throne, or life. It was then I cried my first time through the book. I will be interested in how PJ handles this scene, whether he develops the relationship between Merry and Theoden or lets it go the way of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Well, I guess a lot of people are sensitive. Thought it looks very silly without the music. Just try to watch a movie with no music, especially a horrormovie. It looks ridiculous!

Wasn't there a Jason movie that had no music? That was supposed to be the scary part because the music didn't clue you in to when the axe or whatever was comin up..so when it did, you were really scared.

I once watched the Mummy and scared myself in spite of knowing that it was gonna be scary. You know the part where they are on the ship and she bends down to wash her face at the vanity and the monster comes up behind her and you see him in the mirror?? Well, I was holding a drink and when the music came on, I knew I better get ready so I went to set my drink down and then a big DA-DUH (music) played, and I spilled it ALL OVER MYSELF.

Music does definitely bring out the emotion of anything.
Nope, that scene certainly didn't make me cry! It was sad at the end when everyone split up though.
I cried when Gandalf fell mostly because of the music. It hit straight to the heart of what the hobbits felt. The acting also pushed the mood. I also cried when Boromir died. Such a valiant death, and very sad.
Quote:
Deep down Boromir is a good man and the circumstances of his death and his change in attitude toward Aragorn and his own actions made that moment really teary.

I`m changing my opinion and totally agreeing with that. That was well said. [Even though it was in just one sentence. Big Laugh Smilie ]

(I didn`t find it really teary though.)

[Edited on 18/3/2003 by Sheryl]
I was in to much shock to talk, let alone cry. I cried inside though! Sad Smilie Big Smile Smilie
Why was you in shock? Didn`t you think he was going to die, or do you think he`s hot?

Crying inside, I do that alot. I don`t always show my feelings.
when Gandalf fell, hm, lets see, o yea, i was waving and saying, "Watch your @ss when you land, write me, and dont get burned!"
Big Laugh Smilie You should of added: Send me a post card! Big Smile Smilie
...and "write if you get work." Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

LotR: RotK Spoiler Alert But seriously, I suppose for those who had never read the books, seeing Gandalf fall in the movie would have been just as heart wrenching as it was for the first time reader. However, I didn't cry when I first read of Galdalf's fall, but I did when I read of Theoden's demise. That was probably because I had empathy with Merry's having adopted him as a father figure.
I sat on my dark throne and laughed when I heard Gandalf had fallen. Muhahahahaha
I didn't cry. But that was only because I had on read FotR and I made my boyfriend tell me if gandalf really died or not. That scene was so well done, i was really impressed. Anyway, the part that got me was Borormir because that was at the begining of TTTs. So, I didn't really know about that...
Hmm...............weel that`s sooooo nice that he takes him as a father figure later on. That`ll make me cry that part, I`m very sensitive with those sort of things. I just feel that when they live happily and they have a loving embrace and then the part where one of the loved ones die, that`s what really makes me cry. Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie
Quote:
However, I didn't cry when I first read of Galdalf's fall, but I did when I read of Theoden's demise. That was probably because I had empathy with Merry's having adopted him as a father figure.

I completely agree with you Grondy! That was really sad....Snowmane being his bane.....but you never know what wouldīve happened if Pippin had not called on Gandalf when he was about to do battle with the witchking.....The king of Rohan would not have died but then Glorfindels prophecy could not come true.....

Correct me if I am wrong!
Hmm...no you pretty much kept on subject.....just that you took other examples tooTongue Smilie
I don't read any other posts(except the first one so I know whats going on),until I post my idea so I dont end up taking other peoples examples,Aule Tongue Smilie
I can't remember how I felt when I saw the movie scene in Moria; I had already read the books about 3 or 4 times. All I can remember is: A- I was thinking "Stupid PJ! Gandalf is supposed to have dark eyes! and B- Gandalf shoulda been screaming "Fly you fools!" as he fell, not hanging on for about a century. I know, I notice the details that don't matter. But I think I felt sad. It's been too long since I first saw it. (FIRST. I must've seen the extended DVD over 450 times already).
  [1] [2] >>