Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What do YOU think they should have done different with the movies?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Fellowship of the Ring > What do YOU think they should have done different with the movies?   
Alot of things! Big Laugh Smilie

Like, for instance, make the film more like the book. That might take you along the right tracks. I think that was the whole point of the film, the book, but as a film.
Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie Ignore Smilie

That about says it all for me. I won't go through this again.
Ok,was this already asked before?Well so much for making a topic Rolling Eyes Smilie

I guess in my case,"better luck next time"....heehee.

Moderator Smilie Val edited this post to turn off the signature which was more than three lines in length. Moderator Smilie

[Edited on 23/3/2003 by Valedhelgwath]
I wouldn't have cut TOM!!! He's one of my favorite characters, althought he doesn't have THAT importance, he IS TOM BOMBADILLO!!! Shaking Head Smilie Bad! Smilie
I`ve just got up to the part where Tommy has left the Hobbits at the borders of his land and has gone back home. I liked Tom, I wonder what sort of character he would have been if he was in the film. They probably cut him because they didn`t really know what he looked like, because the book never mentions a particular race, does it? That`s something I want to find out, what particular race he is. Smile Smilie
Quote:
That`s something I want to find out, what particular race he is.
That is something that we can only guess about Sheryl, even Tolkien was unsure.

For more info on the origin of and/or what Tom Bombadil is/was, see Tom Bombadil, under Characters.
I also think that Peter Jackson shouln't appear (he's the first one in the entrance of Bree), because he's the director, and it's not common a director appear in the film!
I wouldnt have made Faramir so Gosh d*** evil. He was soooo nice in the books, and they destroyed him so he was like Boromir! *sobs* He was my favorite character!
Quote:
I also think that Peter Jackson shouln't appear (he's the first one in the entrance of Bree), because he's the director, and it's not common a director appear in the film!
Alfred Hitchcock usually showed up as an extra in the movies and TV shows he directed.
he did? Really? Aw....great. Now i gotta watch it again!
Peter Jackson appears in all of his Movies, he was Derek in Bad Taste, the mad Doctor in Braindead, a scary looking heavy metal guy in the street in The Frighteners, another guy who gets bumped into in the street in Heavenly Creatures, not in Meet the Feebles (may have been in one of the giant animal suits, but who can tell?) a bloke in Bree in FOTR and you can see him chucking a spear through a battlement in Helm's Deep in TTT.
Scorsese also likes to pop up as an extra in a lot of his movies, so it isn't that uncommon.
I never noticed PJ as one of the men in Bree...Well, I`ll look out for him next time.....
He's the one who belches in the Hobbits direction as they go from the gate towards the Prancing Pony, Sheryl.
Holding a Carrot...
Oh, right...I remember him now, my memory needed joging! Big Laugh Smilie
Me too! I had to watch it again. I saw him. My brother says hes reeeeeeaaaaalllly fat. It was funny. Ok, sry. Wink Smilie
People call PJ a hobbit, he walks around with no shoes on, a bit like me, he`s short and fat, not like me! A Hobbit, nice fit isn`t it? Big Smile Smilie

Yeah, I was glad about Tom as well in that way, they didn`t have enough description to go by for Tom and Goldy. Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie
I wish that they had left things hanging, for example not almost immediately telling Frodo what/who the Black Riders were. In the book, he only learns that after he's healed in Rivendell.
Also (TTT), I HATED the way they made Faramir just another Man corrupted by the Ring. And the way they had Frodo almost give up the Ring in Osgiliath.
Also, I wish they had the scenes with Gildor, Glorfindel, and Tom Bombadil. (Though I don't know about Tom; they'd probably make him look horrible).
Also, I wouldn't have made the film centered on Frodo. Anything not related to Fro was cut unless it was of importance 2 the plot. Like MERRY helping Gandalf solve the riddle at Moria. And I woulve loved to see Gandalf fight the werewolves. Though now that I've seen the movie 2 many times, I begin 2 forget parts like that which aren't in the film :'(
And Lothlůrien was supposed to be a golden paradise where they could rest; but PJ couldn't do that or it would release the tension. Sad Smilie
Also, the Ents should have followed the plotline of the book. I wanted to see Huorns @ Isengard.
But the worst thing 2 me was …omer leading his ťored to help at Helm's Deep; not Gandalf coming with Men and Ents.
Ok, I agree totally with Arcormacolindova.
Wow, long name!
I think they shouldīve scrapped the script by PJ and go with the one made by the old master himself: John Ronald Reuel Tolkien

There is the perfect LoTR movie! Nothing else!
I think in The Fellowship of the Ring Gimli should have died instead of Borimir! Big Smile Smilie
So Angry Smilie WHAT?!?!?!
I think that freaking elven twit Legolas shouldīve gotten killed.....he is just heavy luggage.....
I think they should have filmed the books.
Exactly my point V...
I probably said this already, but I think they should have stayed true to Tolkien's characterisations.

No rebel Aragron
No bitter Elrond
No twitchy Faramir

The alterations to the plot I can take, but I find it hard to deal with mutilated characters. Shaking Head Smilie

Allyssa has a good point....and now Iīll tell you all something.....I think they shouldīve made a movie of the book....but what did they do? They made PJoTR!!!! And it disgusts me!
I belive that they could get ride of all the fuss around Aragorn and Arwen and put more time on the ent battle against Isengard and after the battle there too.
Ok, this is a totally MINOR thing, but they should have had the flying Ringwraiths in the Dead Marshes scence and in Osgiliath carry around this aura of darkness. The Nazgul in grey sorta twilight in Osgiliath didnt work that well, I think.

(I SAID IT WAS MINOR!)
Let Virumor, Aule or Me direct it!
And the script will be the book.....nothing else....if a actor is gonna say a line it will be from the book Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

And we would definately not have Orlando Bloom in the movies at all! Muahahahhahaa
No in our movie we would have actors. So bye bye Orlando, back to where you belong : DisneyWorld.

[Edited on 21/10/2003 by virumor]
Come on Vir,Orlando plaid a good Legolais and you also need to consider that he is new at the acting business.
I don't know if he played a good Legolas according to the book, but that's not entirely his fault and he is new in acting. But A LOT of people know who Legolas is and what LOTR is because of him, I can say that. Smile Smilie
Quote:
And we would definately not have Orlando Bloom in the movies at all! Muahahahhahaa

Quote:
No in our movie we would have actors. So bye bye Orlando, back to where you belong : DisneyWorld.

Why?
And don't just say because he is a bad Legolas. I want to know why he is a bad Legolas to you.

Which actor would you have picked to play Legolas?
Quote:
Which actor would you have picked to play Legolas?

I wouldn't have picked one, i would have carefully chosen one. Which one? Hard to say, i think someone who is able to act and not solely incorporated in a movie to attract young female specimens. Not just a pretty face, if it was me i'd take a totally unknown lad. Maybe i can't think of Orlando Bloom as Legolas after i saw him being murdered in an unusual way in a BBC detective series. (thank you, BBC)

Quote:
Why?

Because in the movies, Legolamb does nothing else but show off. Skating a shield, doing circus horse acrobatics, etc. He doesn't act like an elf at all, nor looks like one. He just looks like some young lad from the suburbs of any British city with a blond wig on and thrown into a movie. But i can say the same of all Elves in the movies. It's good they were all slashed in the Hell's Deep battle.

In the books, Legolamb doesn't do much either, he shoots some bow and has a couple of lines, but even in the movies they took away his lines. They didn't even have the blindfolding argument in Lothlorien.

[Edited on 22/10/2003 by virumor]

I think Orlando made a great Legolas, but the script was sometimes.. a bit much. Especially the "blood has been spilt this night". I roll my eyes just by thinking about it. But he is a good actor, and I "belive" him as the elf, especially when he can act from himself and not follow PJs direct command (like he MUST have in the "blood.." thing?). Like in Borormirs death scene, great facial expressions.

Quote:
But A LOT of people know who Legolas is and what LOTR is because of him, I can say that.
Yes, this is true. And that is a good thing. Smile Smilie
Well the 'blood has been spilt this night' was in the book, actually. PJ took a lot of lines out of the book, to give us the impression he filmed the books.

But this trick failed for at least 3 ppl.
I didn't mean the line itself, I meant the way it was spoken/acted in that scene. Can't quite explain. It just sounded stupid. Wink Smilie
I don't have a problem with the actors themselves. After all it isn't up to them how the film is directed (it's not his fault that he had to board on a shield or complete a reversed piece of footage of him dismounting a horse, nor is it his fault that he had to say some cr@ppy lines). Orlando Bloom doesn't seem to be that bad an actor. I personally wouldn't have chose any of the actors, but thats because I don't agree with not haveing cornish hobbit's (weird glimps of Ross' minds eye).
OK, thanks for the explanation V. Smile Smilie
Just one remark, Orlando Bloom was an unknown actor. (at least for me Big Smile Smilie)
I didn't mind the acrobatic stuff or the jokes of Gimli. It lightened things up a bit in this dark picture. And I loved the way Legolas handled the knives!
Quote:
He doesn't act like an elf at all, nor looks like one. He just looks like some young lad from the suburbs of any British city with a blond wig on and thrown into a movie. But i can say the same of all Elves in the movies.
My immediate reaction was that none of the elves looked like elves, but unfortunately that's the sort of problem any director is going to have. We are limited to having humans act the part of elves because not too many real elves hold equity cards. At least they weren't walking around in rubber masks like early episodes of Star Trek etc.

Maybe, however, PJ could have selected his actors a bit better, or forced them onto get-slim-quick diets. I'm afraid I'll never be able to accept "fat-boy" Haldir as an elf.
The guy who played Haldir was a complete chubster!Elrond ugly as ****. Arwen huge gob, actually looks like her dad. I mean looks like a man! I think they trawled the bottom of the ugly tree for all these elves. After thay had just fell from the top hitting every branch on the way down!
Quote:
Elrond ugly as ****.

Don't forget Elrond played in 'Priscilla, queen of the desert'. Maybe this is one of the reasons i don't take him serious as Elrond, besides his ugly face.

Quote:
Arwen huge gob, actually looks like her dad. I mean looks like a man!

Yes, there is a problem indeed when a woman who is supposed to play Arwen in the movies, gets confused with a horse. There's even a bigger problem if even Eowyn is prettier than Arwen... i wonder if there will be a good reason in rotk movie why Aragorn will still marry Arwen, and if the naive public will take it.
And i guess the possible reason why aragorn would marry Arwen (because she saved Frodo at Bruinen by giving the Nazgul a nice cold bath, and by this showing us that she can do more than nagging and sewing) isn't good enough, cause Eowyn kicks the Witch-King's butt for all time in RoTK. And she doesn't even make that Banner.
Looks like i have a good reason to go and see Rotk movie in december, apart from giving worship to Orlando Bloom. (heh)

Quote:
I think they trawled the bottom of the ugly tree for all these elves.

Yes, i am still not sure if the elves we see in Lothlorien (Haldir's mates) are men or women, or both. In either case, when seeing them i consider it a blessing for mankind in middle-earth that the Elves 'leave this shores'.
If only Elrond would leave too : apart from being ugly, he acts like the Middle-Earth Mr Smith.

And another thing : Viggo Mortensen looks a lot like Snake Plissken in Lotr. If this is good or bad, i don't know.

[Edited on 23/10/2003 by virumor]

[Edited on 23/10/2003 by virumor]
Quote:
Viggo Mortensen looks a lot like Snake Plissken in Lotr. If this is good or bad, i don't know.

I thought Viggo made a better Aragorn than Stuart Townsend (the original choice) could. Did anyone see him in The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Good thing he didn't play Aragorn. Rolling Eyes Smilie
One problem I had with the characters is what they looked like,way too pretty if you ask me. Elrond ugly?Do I just have bad tastes because I thought he was quite fine looking.
Quote:
And i guess the possible reason why aragorn would marry Arwen (because she saved Frodo at Bruinen by giving the Nazgul a nice cold bath, and by this showing us that she can do more than nagging and sewing) isn't good enough, cause Eowyn kicks the Witch-King's butt for all time in RoTK.
Ah, in the books Eowyn does. Maybe in the film, Arwen gets to steal this moment of glory too.
Quote:
Ah, in the books Eowyn does. Maybe in the film, Arwen gets to steal this moment of glory too.

Dunno Val, in the trailer we can see her on horse with Merry. So i guess the Dernhelm part is in it and Eowyn goes Pelennor fields.

But of course, Arwen can still help them... by doing another she-elf spell and sending the waves of the bay of Belfalas to splash the Witch-King of Angmar away, together with his armies of Orcs, Easterlings, Variags, Dunlendings and Rohirrim (whoops).
Quote:

I told Virumor in chat that if Eowyn doesn't get to slay the Wich King, I'll join the I-hate-PJ club, because that would be unforgivable. Very Sad Smilie

But I think it will be there, Eowyn is a strong woman and that's very politically correct, so PJ won't take that away. Wink Smilie

Quote:
and by this showing us that she can do more than nagging and sewing
Yeah, the audience might have thought Aragorn chose Arwen because she would make a pretty trophy-wife to show of at parties, and that would be very politically UNcorrect. Wink Smilie
Quote:
I told Virumor in chat that if Eowyn doesn't get to slay the Wich King, I'll join the I-hate-PJ club, because that would be unforgivable.

Well, i'll hold you to that. Right now, i personally think our hospitable club will have a new member in december... but you might never know, so i'll wait and see.
I think that the 2nd movie was way too fast paced. Well... I say this after seeing the FotR extended about 2,000 times, so... you get the picture.
Quote:

No rebel Aragorn
No bitter Elrond
No twitchy Faramir

What? Elrond wasn't like that in the book?
(SEE what seeing the movies too many times can do??)