Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Major character changes

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Fellowship of the Ring > Major character changes   
What do you think are the major character changes in the movie? As in, how they made Aragorn less confindent of himself, Elrond more skeptical of humans etc..
Faramir!

Quote:
Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed. less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Elder Race. He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings.

Where was this nobility shown in the film?

You are right, Vee.

Here are my reflections on the LOTR movie characters. (I'll use Hollywood language) :

Gandalf : the ten commandments (Mozes).

Elrond : grumpy old men.

Galadriel : the witches of eastwick.

Arwen : xena, warrior princess.

Faramir : conan the barbarian.

Aragorn : the last boyscout.

Tom Bombadil : the invisible man.

Eowyn : fatal attraction.

Haldir : pee-wee herman.

Legolas + Gimli : dumb and dumber.

Frodo + Sam : Ren and Stimpy.

Pippin + Merry : dumber and dumberer.

Denethor : the godfather.

Grima Wormtongue : beetlejuice.

Saruman : excellent performance from Christopher Lee. The only one i was looking forward to see in ROTK (a reason for PJ to cut him out of the movie).
Sorry folks, I know we all hate short post that really don't say much but..
Big Laugh Smilie ROFL! Big Laugh Smilie
Virumor, I couldn't agree more! Ha Ha Ha Smilie
I was most annoyed with this....
In the book Frodo is most brave.
Yet in the movies, PJ and the writers felt compelled to make him the whimpy hobbit, always tripping over his feet, and always calling on others to help...
I think my friend said it best: " They need a soft and whimpy character to balance out all the tough heroic guys."

And with Aragorn I was upset that they made him very hostile to his kingship....

Stupid Hollywood Angry Elf Smilie ................
Quote:
Tom Bombadil : the invisible man.

I thought he was immune to the ring's invinsibility power.
but overall so funny!!!
Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie
Quote:

Not in the movies apparently, as i didn't see Tom anywhere in FOTR. Hence the invisible man.
Tom Bombadil had nothing to do with the rings of power, really. He was above all that, so of course hollywood got rid of him. Can't go using any characters that don't have any personal drama!!!
Let me quote from above, "Stupid Hollywood..."

Oh, and I don't think Tom would need a ring to be invisible... Wink Smilie

Those were great, Virumor, thanx much! Big Smile Smilie
Well I am not sure that there was a major character change for Frodo he needed help to complete his journey hence the reason for The Fellowship, I also got the impression that in FOTR (the book) that Aragorn was not too hip to the idea of being a king but then different people interpert things differently. I will agree that the the way that PJ hacked Faramir's character was disgusting but what can you do I guess having one all powerful supreme bad guy was not enough so they had to try to take a wonderfully written character and screw that up. I think that they made Arwen a much more prominent than she was in the books I am not sure that she even had any dialogue in FOTR much less in TTT but she did have some in ROTK. All in all I think that they did the best that they could with the majors (with the exception of Faramir). I am resigned to the fact that if you are in love with the characters in a series of books when they make the movies you will always be disappointed. I mean a perfect example is Anne Rice I love her Vampire books and I think that Lestat is a great character but neither Tom Cruise nor Stuart Townsend have done him justice. I say be happy that the characters (again with the exception of Faramir) were not totally mangled.

Ashley276
Kay, You have, lets say 20 mil, loaned to you from a very successful film company, but, In order for them to keep handing out the dosh, you have to take a 3 book novel that took the author much of his adult life to write, and break it down into 3 movies, running time for each movie should/must not exceed 3 hours. Bearing in mind that 99% of the time, what works and is very successful in book form, very rarely works as well in a film. Mainly (In my opinion, I may be wrong, I often am) because readers of fiction tend to be much brighter then the average TV/Movie buff. and are willing and usually damand that they learn more of each character, we want details and plenty of them.
However, to do such a thing to a standard, non reading audience, (prolly the higher percent of the people who watched the films) will no doubt cause them to get up, storm out of the theater and demand their money back.
The Film company also demand certain fixed plot lines, the main character must have a love interest for example, and it must be detailed, they wanna see a bit of kissy kissy between them. The story must move up from one step to the next untill we reach the desired climax, they don't want any hanging around or focusing on what they feel is unimportant to the main story/plot devalopment. They aggree with you that certain charactors are needed to make the story make sense, but they don't like him the way he is in the book, so they demand you alter those bits. And many of the Charactors appear to have no real use in the story, other than as fillers, so they must go. Because, as You are probably aware, having such a weight of reponsiblity on your shoulders, the only reason that these people gave you the money, was because they want a lot more money back. And, if you get it wrong, it will most certainly be the end of your carreer as a film maker, not to mention all the actors involved, and most everyone else, But, If you get it right, the world is your oyster
So, what do you do? do you rise to the challange and try to find a happy medium? do you ignore the film makers and make a film solely for the fans of the book? or do you loosely follow the book and pretty much only use the authors name to attract fans, and just make it a full on action film and upset 1000s of Tolkien lovers in the process?.

This is my challange to you all, how would have you have done it? keeping in mind to strictly follow the rules the film company demand in order for them to keep paying, but also please as many of the fans of the books as posible!
Quote:
So, what do you do? do you rise to the challange and try to find a happy medium? do you ignore the film makers and make a film solely for the fans of the book? or do you loosely follow the book and pretty much only use the authors name to attract fans, and just make it a full on action film and upset 1000s of Tolkien lovers in the process?.

I'd base it loosely on the books, make a full on action film, use the author's name to attract fans and media attention. Then when the dirt hits the fan I can say it is only based loosely on the books because no way could anyone make a film fitting for the scale of the books, and loosely based is the best one can hope to achieve. It would be sacrilege to even think of making a film that compared to the books. In fact, it is because of my love of Tolkien's work that the film wasn't even close to the book. Loosely based is just a vague term to mean I used the author's name to attract attention.
I wouldn't make a movie about any of JRRT's works, because any movie about JRRT's work would be a total blasphemy to the books. So i'd go and film any of the works of David Eddings, Raymond Elias Feist, Robert Jordan, etc etc.

Well, i must say i'd accept a movie bout JRRT's works, but only if all money made bout the movies and everything surrounding it would go to UNICEF, or something, instead of making the swimming pools of the board of New Line Productions, Inc a bit deeper.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Not in the movies apparently, as i didn't see Tom anywhere in FOTR. Hence the invisible man.

gotcha Vee
Forgive and forget my ignorance.
You mean Virumor? Credit where credit is due - it was a very funny post.
Sorry Vee, you lose, the Tolkien estate are so utterly disgusted by your movie and by what you have done with their name, that they sue the film company who in turn sue you for damages. the thousands of Tolkien fans send you so much hate mail that you have to move to a secret local, your brand new jag you put on tick knowing you'd be able to pay off with all the millions you think you're gonna make out of the movie gets trashed by a gang of people calling themselves Tolkiens angels. Meanwhile, you can't afford to finish the last 2 movies so have to right it off and declare yourself bankrupt.
And sorry Vir, Your offer to the film company to make the films only if they write off the money they put in, and any money the films make to donate to charity was considered the funniest thing ever to happen in the history of the film company. A little known director hears of your story and makes a comedy film about it and becomes the lastest over night success. Meanwhile, Pj makes the film company a much more realistic offer. Keeping them as happy as possible, while at the same time tries as hard as he can to stick to the plot as much as he can. Making at least half the fans happy, making the film company very happy, and making himself very very rich. And at the same time making 3 very successful films that (In my opinion) will be remembered in years and years to come as a rather good shot at turning a very good book into a very good movie :P
Oh, and hell will freeze over before David Eddings ever sells his stories to anyone. His hatred of TV and movies is famous.Though you may have better luck with R.E Feist. A video game based on Midkemia was made a few years back and follows one of it charactors (Jimmy the hand) through some digital adventure of some kind. He then wrote 3 or 4 books based on them, which I think did fairly well, but I couldn't stomach them.
Headlines all over the world read:

Talented Film-maker Bankrupted for love of Tolkien!

Maybe in the local newspaper Vee. The rest of the world would say:

Million dollar movieproject flops!

Movie director bancrupt!

Famous and respected movie director killed by enraged Tolkien fan.

No mercy from anyone. Dead Smilie
So my get out clause didn't work?