Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: TFOTR: your first time.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Fellowship of the Ring > TFOTR: your first time.   [1] [2] >>
Hi! Just started to watch this one for,like the 10000th time Big Laugh Smilie and I was wondering if any of ya remember your first impressions of the movie.
I was disappointed when I first saw FotR. I read the book (not for the first time) shortly before going to see the film and I couldn't accept the changes made. It was only when I rewatched the film that I was able to disassociate it from the book. Then I started to enjoy the films.
Hello,Vee I never had that problem I read the books and enjoyed the movies. Big Smile Smilie
I had read FotR, in school, about three years before the first movie came out, but had long since forgotten most of the plot. So when I saw the FotR movie, it was practically like being introduced to Middle Earth for the first time. (Though I had read, and remembered, The Hobbit recently) My first impression was thus one of great awe. I promptly read the LotR, and the Silmarillion, and though after being further educated I was able to be bothered by parts of the movie that weren't like the book, (most annoyingly to me being the replacement of Glorfindel), I still think of the first movie with great awe and have fond memories of my first viewing of it, since it introduced me to the world of Tolkien.
Well I am a bit embarrassed to say that I watched them out of order the first time. I was pregnant with my son and a group of us from work went to go see TTT at the movies. I of course was entirely too pregnant to be at a movie that was that long all you girls out there know what I am talking about. One of my friends figured out by the perplexed look on my face that much to his shock I had never seen TFoTR before going to see TTT. So after I had my son he came to the hospital and and loaned me his extended version of TFoTR I watched that while I was on maternity leave and when my son was about 2 1/2 weeks old my friend and I packed him into the car and went and saw TTT again. He slept through the whole movie too. I must say that my first impression of TFoTR was a good one however I had never read the books so I was not aware of what I was missing. I thought that as far as trying to put together a world that until the movies came out never existed anywhere but in a book I thought that PJ did a great job. He got me wanting to read the books so not having much else to do while on Maternity leave I picked up The Hobbit and read that and then I delved into the others and now I am hooked and that has been over a year ago. I am glad that I got into those though even if it did take a movie to turn me onto a series of books I loathe to think that I missed out on those stories for all these years. I do agree with a pp on this topic after reading all the books I was a little disappointed in the movies but then when I take the movies seperate from the books then I enjoy both although I do enjoy the books more.

Ashley276
Hi! I'am very happy my little topic is gettin a good response. Cool Smilie
Hi

I thought FotR was fantastic when I saw it and still think it's the best of the three (the third one's REALLY disappointing). I didn't mind any of the changes or cuts - how could you put Bombadil on film without him looking an idiot? - though I've always found the guy who plays Elrond the worst of the lead (second lead or whatever) actors. He'd be the only thing I'd change in FotR.
From a different perspective, my husband has never read the books AT ALL, EVER (grounds for divorce?) and he loved the films... all of them.. especially RotK. I know there is some controversy over the number of oscars the films received but my husband thinks the films deserve them for all the ground breaking stuff and sheer hard work. As he said, the oscars were for the film and not for Tolkien's writing.

As for Agent Smith playing Elrond..... not my first choice, but he was good in parts.
I was hoping to *finally* see a lord of the rings movie that would show me what the story was about. Previous attempts had been disapointing and confusing, if I had only know about this site then... The story was as wonderful as I had hoped. Legolas was perfect, I remember being a bit annoyed when I saw the animated lotr, the elves weren't pretty enough. (Don't remember much from it though. Tongue Smilie ) Music, costumes, scenery, all was good. I understood and I loved it! I do remember thinking that Galadriels "even the smallest person can change the course of the future" (or something like that) was not a Tolkien line but a had to be a Hollywood line.

I remember being quite excited befor seeing it, surfing the web for info getting more interested, curious and confused wondering why Elrond was the only elf to have dark hairk and thinking that Arwens jewel was what made her immortal and other silly stuff. I'm glad I know this stuff now and that I know where to go when I have any questions.
What I heard most from non-LOTR fans: Why did TFOTR end like that? Rolling Eyes Smilie
I'm so pleased it did though, Mike. In fact that is the one memory I really came out of the film with, because for ages there seemed to be a rumour circulating that Boromir was not going to die. I sat through most of the film thinking at the back of mind, how disappointed I would be if they did not kill him off. When he took that arrow, therefore, I was so relieved I actually cheered out quite loudly.

I think the other thing that struck me was how realistic everything appeared. It didn't seem to have that "hollywood haze" about it. Although I could not quite place what was different about it at the time, I think with hindsight it was the close attention to minute detail that the makers had gone to. Costumes and weapons etc appeared real because they were real.
I had read the books ages before the movies had come out...
I remember the day the movie came out....Me and my two hobbit head friends went....
We dressed up Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie .....
I was Aragorn ( a pretty crummy one, might I say as I did not know what he would look like . ), my friend was Merry and my other friend was Glorfindel....Imagine her surprise when he wasn't in the film....
But I adored the movies..
I did feel that a lot of things should have been kept in, and I won't bore you all by naming them....
But I understand the whole TB thing, and even Arwen replacing Glorfindel..
So I really enjoyed it..
Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
I remember that when FOTR first came out I DID NOT want to see it (I know! I must have been senile or something! Disturbed Smilie ). I hadn't read the books and I figured it would just be some sort of phase that the whole "normal" population was into (yes I'm actually not normal! HAH! Wary Smilie ). Everyone was saying how it would blow the Harry Potter movies out of the water in popularity and also in that it was just plain better than the HP movies. I LOVE Harry Potter so I was ticked until finally my mom said, "Well why don't we just see what this is all about," and then guess who came out of the theater saying that that was probably the BEST movie they ever saw? Yeppers it was me not my mom. I was totally in awe by all the great effects and the phomenal drama that was present throughout the entire movie. The whole plot just drew me in and I could think about nothing else. I thought I was a part of the adventure and even though at some parts I was a little confused, basically I thought the movie was a perfect mix of all the things that I love (and actually I think it was kinda a better than the Harry Potter movie. Talk about ironic huh? Orc Grinning Smilie ) The other thing that everyone ought to know about me (in case they meet me and need to know to back away from me.....just kidding) is that I get really into movies and I get really emotional. So I think I cried 3 times during the movie: once when Gandalf fell (not died like I first thought), when Boromir got shot 3 times and died, and when Sam nearly drowned. Well for Gandalf I think I was more in shock than anything and when Sam started to go under I think I was mouthing "NO! NOT SAM!!!!!!!" (Yeah see what I mean? I'm a freak and proud of it! Big Laugh Smilie ) So that's my interesting story of the first time I saw FOTR and now I've read the books, including the Hobbit and the Simarillion, and my twin told me all the stories in Unfiinished Tales. I do agree that some parts of the book shouldn't have been taken out but overall I thought it was the BEST MOVIE EVER! (which I stil think it is! Wolf Smilie )
When I first went to see FotR, I was very excited. I love the books, so I was expecting the greatest movie ever! I must say I was not disappointed, though I've had my "I-hate-that-PJ-for-not-including-TomBombadil" phases... Smile Smilie Anyway, it is the movie I've seen the most times in my life and I can't get tired of watching it. I actually think there's one better movie than FotR: the SEE of FotR! hehe
FOTF the movie introduced me to Tolkiens world..... well not entirely true, i tried to read the hobbit in like grade 3 and wasn't too successful; so that doesn't count.

I watched this movie and was at complete awe. So i went and read TTT and ROTK, because i couldn't wait for the movies, and was flabberghasted. When i saw the movies TTT and ROTK, after reading the books, i was quite disappointed because they didn't live up to my expectations. i forgot to mention that after reading TTT and ROTK, i started over proper by reading FOTF, TTT, and finally ROTK.... all in a months or 2. After reading FOTF i realized the movie isn't as good as the book, surprise! But from the book to movie translations i think FOTF was the best, hands down.
Quote:
FOTF the movie introduced me to Tolkiens world.....

So what exactly is FOTF? Fellowship of the Fink? Never seen that in my lifetime!

Well, FOTR held me in awe. I felt like a little kid holding a teddy bear in one hand and looking up in the sky at an aeroplane for the first time. Well, the comparison ain't that good but comes close. But I think it was good that I never compared the book with the movies or else I'm afraid I wold have been someone like Virumor, Aule or someone!!
Quote:
But I think it was good that I never compared the book with the movies or else I'm afraid I wold have been someone like Virumor, Aule or someone!!

You like namecalling, don't you?

I dislike the movies, so what? That's just my opinion. It are just movies. Get over it.

I'm not whining all the time about you constantly griping on Hairy Potty, am I?

Quote:
So what exactly is FOTF? Fellowship of the Fink? Never seen that in my lifetime!

Tsk tsk, it's not allowed by Ms Vee to correct spelling mistakes! That's "picking despite your own imperfections". Jeez. Probably a new Council rule i missed.
TFOTR movie had such an impact on my life. I will never forget the emotions and the totally great feelings it brought back to life in me. I hadn't read much of anything for many years but watching the movie lead me to reading the books (4 times this year) as well as reading and studying other Tolkien books. So all in all, I think the movie, regardless of the differences, has been a blessing.
Quote:
You like namecalling, don't you?

I dislike the movies, so what? That's just my opinion. It are just movies. Get over it.

I'm not whining all the time about you constantly griping on Hairy Potty, am I?

Hey! Who's whining? And I didn't mean any offense to you. I just helped them visualise what I wanted to say.

Quote:
That's "picking despite your own imperfections". Jeez. Probably a new Council rule i missed.

Make that to read we missed! This is a bad rule!
And one that doesn't exist. Just be careful that nitpicking on spelling mistakes or typos doesn't turn into ridiculing another member, which is against the rules.

Correcting a spelling mistake is NOT nitpicking, let alone ridiculing someone, imo, sorry.

In another thread, you suddenly stated that i was picking on a member, which i didn't? I think THAT is ridiculing, not to mention offending someone.

Or are you trying to make me leave this so-called forum? Hey, it's certainly working.
Now, now children. Let's settle down and get back to the topic of which I've forgotten. Elk Grinning Smilie
I first saw TFOTR on 21 december, 2001. I can remember it like yesterday : all those Tolkien purists grabbing seats, beer cans and ppl dressed up as Elves and then throwing them at the screen...

Yes, a fruitful day that was. When a friend asked me to go rewatch the movie some weeks later, i answered : "NUTS!". Hurhurhur.
Quote:
all those Tolkien purists grabbing seats, beer cans and ppl dressed up as Elves and then throwing them at the screen...

Okay I'm confused here Vir, did the so called Tolkien "purists" were grabbing and throwing even seats and people dressed as elves on the screen? My what powerful people yo have in Belgium. And why punish the poor people dressed as elves? They needn't be grabbed and thrown! We here had to make do with roses only!
Vir, I didn't accuse you of nitpicking or picking on another member. I said you like to pick up on spelling mistakes, which you do. I just wanted to make sure that Gothmog wasn't offended by the way you did it. Sometimes it is difficult to tell.

Quote:
Just be careful that nitpicking on spelling mistakes or typos doesn't turn into ridiculing another member, which is against the rules.

That wasn't aimed at you. It was a comment for everyone's benefit, bearing in mind the difference in languages. Don't take it personally. Most comments (such as LA's post before this) are said in humour. I'd hate the humour on PT to be squashed. And I love the idea of people dressed up as elves being thrown at the screen as well as chairs. (Humour - go on, smile, it's the festive season!)

I don't want anyone to leave. I want to keep you all here for ever. It's the differences which make it so interesting.

Have a mince pie and a glass of festive cheer. Yes, I made the pies myself and no, I haven't poisoned them.

Wiggle Smilie
Quote:
I don't want anyone to leave. I want to keep you all here for ever. It's the differences which make it so interesting.

Which stinkin fish dares to leave this ship? Ye all are gonna stick yerself up and remain here. Aye! Ye heard me right!

And on with yer mince pies Vee. Mind if I cut in?
I loved it, but the seats in the cinema where REALLY uncomfortable - that's my only moan!
The first time I saw TFOTR was a few days before Christmas and I really felt like entering a dreamland, with breathtaking landscapes and a magical music. I was impressed about how much can a fantastic movie, based on a perfect novel impress you.
Although I didn't get the deep meaning of the One Ring and of the other things and facts in the movie, I watched it again and then I finally understood the true message of the story.
Today I still LOVE to watch TLOTR and I can still feel the magic within it.
The first time i watched TFOTR, i was abit confused because i didn't fully know what it was about! But i watched it another 12 times and then fully understood it's context! i was fine then with the other films and am happy that i like it too and im happy that i've joined this website!! Smile SmilieSmile SmilieSmile SmilieSmile Smilie
That's OK. I still don't understand what that movie is about.
WTF happened to Glorfindel?!!! Oh, right, he wasn't sexy enough for a movie; all he did was kill a Balrog and come back from the dead (and he wasn't even an Istari.) Arwen stayed behind the scenes throughout the REAL story, which, as she was Elronds only daughter is unsurprising. After what the Orcs did to Celebrian he was a little reluctant to let her go gallavanting around the countryside with Ringwraiths. She stayed in Rivendell where she belonged until Sauron was beaten and Aragorn crowned in a secure Gondor. Compared with that Bombadil was small potatoes, though it created other problems like having to just hand out replacements for the Barrowblades to the Hobbits. Also cute was the way Sting glowed in the vicinity of Orcs but Glamdring didn't. Apparently the same smithcraft that was good enough for daggers was too good for the sword of Turgon, though this wasn't true in the books. Plus the wizards duel between Saruman and Gandalf never happened either; Middle-earth didn't do "magic" like that, which is understandable given the Professors background. Oh, and since when are Sindar part of the House of Finarfin? Stuff like this is why I avoid the "If You Could Change One Thing" thread; if I could change only ONE thing I'd still be greatly disappointed.

And the sad thing is, I agree with the statement above: Jackson did a fantastic job of recreating the world. It was my great dread that this challenge was impossible to meet, yet he did it far beyond my expectations. And then the easy part, the part that he didn't have to do because the Professor already had, he totally muffed: he decided he needed to improve the narrative. Bah! What a disappointment a doably perfect job was done so wrong.
Quote:
After what the Orcs did to Celebrian he was a little reluctant to let her go gallavanting around the countryside with Ringwraiths.

That's why she apparently sneaked out of Rivendell, after having stolen Vilya, which would explain her ability to cast watery spells (together with the horse waves). Or maybe it was just because Arwen was suddenly upgraded to an Elf Mage level 35.

I think it's sad that due all them Tolkien purists complaining their arses off, PJ took out Arwen from Helm's Deep in TTT. Seeing her wade through a sea of Uruk-hai, all the while exchanging amorous looks with Aragorn, would've been interesting to see. Much better than seeing Haldir & Co getting creamed.
Well, I don't think the Keening Wail of Haldirs Fall was the purists idea. Certainly not this one. Besides, if Arwen had been at Helms Deep it would have spoiled Aragorns attempts to make time with Eowyn, and we all know how much we loved "Aragorn the Cad" from the books. :elfvomits:
Morambar,

I agree with everything you said about the FOTR disappointing and yet fulfilling our idea of ME. I rather expected something like Arwen's part taking over Glorfindel's, and also knew that Bombadil was doomed. The expanded DVD compensated--I thought--because of putting back lots from the books that had been omitted in the theatrical version.

But, as I've said elsewhere, despite the imprecisions, PJ took away my breath and brought tears to my eyes when I first saw Gandalf pull up to Bilbo's door. That is the scene I had imagined for 30 years, and PJ did it justice! (I had better not go off on TTT and ROTK, but my review of ROTK is posted on another thread, if you want to see it.)
Well, as for me, i have no idea what my first impressions were!! I watched all the movies so many times that i just cant remember the first time. Smile Smilie
Quote:
Besides, if Arwen had been at Helms Deep it would have spoiled Aragorns attempts to make time with Eowyn, and we all know how much we loved "Aragorn the Cad" from the books. :elfvomits:

No, it would perhaps have spoiled ╔owyn's attempts to make time with Aragorn - although of course the presence of both would have opened some interesting possibilities for Aragorn.

He could have solved his apparent dilemma - offer his heart on a silver plate to which damsel? - by a mud wrestling or cooking contest, for instance.

It's a pity PJ didn't steer his adaptation in this direction.
I could have tolerated the omissions without the revisions. "Go home, Sam!" EXCUSE ME?!!! You don't just turn around and "go home" from Mordor, besides which Frodo would NEVER have said that. I almost got up and walked out at that point. And the wizards duel that never happened. And Aragorn the Cad. And Denethor the Gibbering. And a whole generation of moviegoers who have the idea Saruman was just a craven who submitted to Sauron rather than a skilled and ambitious manipulator who played his own game. Me, I'm (relatively) young; I only waited twenty years, but Jackson somehow managed to overcome my appreciation for doing the impossible in creating the world by doing the inexcusable and changing the story. The one upside is it still ends with "Well, I'm back." So I was able to beat the crowds out of the theater. Or at least, I assume it did; that's where it ends, and if Jackson elected to go further I'm just as glad I didn't see it. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Oh, and Vir... we all know I'd rather see Galadriel vs. Eowyn, right? Or maybe vs. Idril.... *ponders* ;-p
Yes, I know what you mean, Morambar. But as this thread is about the Fellowship, I thought I would leave off griping about my favorite peaves in the other two movies. But I do sympathize, really.
Quote:
Oh, and Vir... we all know I'd rather see Galadriel vs. Eowyn, right? Or maybe vs. Idril.... *ponders* ;-p

This raises a question : considering your apparent fondness of blondes, why then do you object that every Elf in PJ's adaptation of LOTR is so wonderfully fair-haired? Lipservice, perchance? :-P
First and foremost because I am, as I was first accused in regard to Tolkien (and that years ago) a purist. However, when you put in those terms, blonde Eldar were unique, rare, SPECIAL in Middle-earth. The majority (the Vanyar) never left Valinor after arriving. With the exception of those descended from Indis all Noldor were dark haired. As near as I can tell the Teleri were silver haired. Consequently, Jacksons version of Lothlorien is just yet another gaffe. Last time I checked, Celeborn was also the name of one of the Two Trees, and I don't mean Laurelin the Golden. ;-P
Well, then consider it a courtesy of PJ to you. :-P

Quote:
As near as I can tell the Teleri were silver haired.

I think some were, but certainly not everyone. There's ElwŰ, Celeborn & CelebrÝan who are mentioned as silverhaired, that's all. Maybe only those related to ElwŰ have silver hair.

And we already had this discussion at the "Hair colour" thread, I believe : Hair colour

PS : Celeborn one of the Two Trees?! You're slipping, my friend. Celeborn was a seedling of Galathilion (who was a seedling of Telperion and stood in Tirion) and stood on Tol Eresseń. :-P
Oops. I do that every time, sorry. :8)

I have just taken the jubilee bank holiday as an opportunity to watch all three moves back-to-back, FotR and TTT on Sunday and RotK last night. Although I've seen all three films numerous times, I've not managed to watch them together before. If you ever get the chance to watch them in one go, try it - together they are truly epic. It still amazes me the level of detail that was put into these films with the costumes and scenery. The scale of it too - when you see the Rohhirim arrive at the Battle of Pelinnor Fields, there are so many of them. It really struck me this time though, that although they seemed such a large army, that was almost their entire population of fighting men. Watching the slaughter as they were shot down by orcish arrows or smashed by Mumakil, it made me realise how empty their halls would be afterwards.

Yes Val it's wonderful if you have the time to immerse you're self in All three special additions. Even with the many changes, some of which I think are silly and totally unnecessary, as a stand alone threequal it's a great watch. It's like going home and sitting with friends and some great acting from all involved. We as fans can get very critical regarding JRRT's masterpiece but I for one love to return to PJ's version of Middle Earth in the Third Age.

I too have had occasion to do the whole thing with my family every year or so, I could not take it mentally any oftener, neither can i bear to be inactive that long for any reason but being in a coma or having two broken legs! But once a year, it is heaven.

I agree the work done is spectacular and intricate and detailed and but for the directors, etc we would have to just see it in our own imaginations. I hope to be clear on that score. I just hate messing about with order and who said what and cutting out crucial things as well as making up things or creating emnity between peoples that never existed . That to me is a real blow to the integrity of and fifteen years work of a person who managed it between tragedy and overwork, sickness, bereavement. I know as a writer I would hate that so much and feel literally as ill over it as I would if a child of mine were operated on and their entire appearance was changed simply because the surgeon did not like the way the child's features were put together. I cannot get past that. So, if i look at it as just another story with many points pilfered from the real thing I can enjoy it a great deal. Sigh.............it is how i am.

Already a big fan of the books I was expecting a disappointment. I had seen, years ago (in the 1970s?), a really rubbishy animated film, and wondered how the new film makers could get everything in. The first bit of the film was not a good start, big Sauron came on like a mighty power ranger bad guy and I thought, oh no, oh dear. But from that point on it was absolutely brilliant. I know bits have been missed out, and altered here and there (a shame) but all in all I was quite blown away by the quality, techniques and detail, art and landscapes and models. At the end I had to watch all the credits because I was so moved by the fantastic film making that I had a little cry and didn't much want my family to know that. I have never felt so emotional about the quality of a film before or since. 

Hail Eglantine Longholes, having a little cry is common for me in the films and I agree, after the many hours of film the credits after the final film, with loverly Annie singing the main theme of ROTK always brings me to tears. "Frodo, it's time......"

The first time I saw the movie I was too young to understand it, but I read the FotR recently I enjoyed it, but  I didn't like the fact that it took half the book for them to get to Rivendell. But I sill love the books and movies nonetheless.

Therian, congrats on you first reading. You will find that over the many years of your life, every time you re read, you will find many hidden meanings in the words of JRRT which will have a different meaning according to your age and mood at the time of your reading. I found that I came to love the little, seemingly unimportant things which are actually the reason that His Middle Earth is so fully formed and wonderful. Again congrats.

I went to watch it to a local movie theater when the movie came out, and if I remember correctly, I was like 11 during that time. It was a magnificent experience, and I had read Tolkien's books long before that. I wonder why I don't read that much these days, though I really should. Smile Smilie

But back to the movie: I was pretty impressed by it all. Best in it was and has always been the music. Pretty awesome movie to watch at that age.

And even back then, I didn't blame PJ for making the movie more or less different than the book version goes. He even cutted some parts and maybe added some of his own ideas to the pot (don't ask why: 'pot'Wink Smilie, but in my opinion, he did a good job and he also succeeded with the other two parts as well. And when I left the theater, with epic scores of TFOTR ranging loudly inside my head and all of the memorable scenes safely in my memory, I can tell that I was more than just satisfied.

That's all I've to say about it. Smile Smilie

[1] [2] >>