Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Frodo - love him or hate him ?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Two Towers > Frodo - love him or hate him ?   [1] [2] >>
Welcome to the forum Elenya-Are. Happy Elf Smilie

I agree the film Frodo was a pain in the neck, especially because in the book there really wasn't much indication that The Ring was weighing him down until he entered the Morgul Vale beyond the cross-roads from Osgiliath (to which ruined city they never went). And as we now know, PJ has left that bit for the finale, so why make life so hard on Frodo in the second film; what was the point?

At this rate, in the next film Sam will have to carry Frodo piggy-back up the steep and the crooked stairs and also the straight and the crumbly ones, as well as on through Shelob's lair because I don't think Gollum will be up to carrying any load.

Oh well, I must just remember it is a different slant on the same story which has just come down to us via a different oral tradition, that from the tribe that lived on the other side of the valley from Tolkien's tribe.
No words can describe the distaste I have for Frodo...he is like the ultimate whining machine! HE just goes on and on about "oohhh...the burden...." Sure he carried the ring and stuff but Sam carried HIM! He is always acting like a spolit brat and I really felt like smashing him to pulp. Feel not felt...the feeling did not change...Sam seems to be the portrayal of the saddest gardener in the world to serve the wimpest loser in Middle-Earth...
Jumping Flame Smilie
I can feel the flames of fury of the Frodo supporters in the world. I admit that Frodo may be quite strong too, in his own way, for he was resisting the temptation on the while...which now leads me to realise sumthing...I heard from Erkenbrand that the ring does not exactly tempt the person but amplifies the person's desires, and now it leads me to understand why Frodo and Bilblio were able to resist the temptation so long. Hobbits, for the most part only wish to lead a good life and have no wishes to be a mighty warrior...and also with the characteristics of hobits that can be found in the forum of weekly Tolkien sessions I think...I now think that Frodo was not exactly that strong in willpower to resist it, but it is because the ring has very little to work with!
Quote:
...I now think that Frodo was not exactly that strong in willpower to resist it, but it is because the ring has very little to work with!

Exactly why Frodo makes the perfect ringbearer and someone like Boromir (who has a lot of personal ambition) would be a disaster.

I liked Elijah Wood as Frodo. I think he did a fine job. The scenes in the movie in which he is 'annoying' are deliberate, I think. PJ is trying to throw the audience off balance for some reason. Why? I can only speculate. Maybe to make the Shelob scenes have more or less impact, maybe so that we will identify with Sam more, or maybe so that we will feel more pity for Gollum.
I'm not a fan of the movie Frodo, but actually, Allyssa, I hadn't even considered that PJ had purposely made him annoying. That's an interesting take on it...I wonder what PJ's intending to do with that, though.

I missed, though, in the movie, the sense of a sort of quiet strength Frodo had in the book. In the book, he was obviously scared by what he had to do and somewhat overwhelmed, but he's resolute and really admirable...in the movie, he's just sort of a snot...
Quote:

I heard from Erkenbrand that the ring does not exactly tempt the person but amplifies the person's desires, and now it leads me to understand why Frodo and Bilblio were able to resist the temptation so long. Hobbits, for the most part only wish to lead a good life and have no wishes to be a mighty warrior...and also with the characteristics of hobits that can be found in the forum of weekly Tolkien sessions I think...I now think that Frodo was not exactly that strong in willpower to resist it, but it is because the ring has very little to work with!

Hmm.... I think I have been a little misunderstood here... hehehe.

I didn't say that the Ring does not tempt, because it definitely does. But to what degree the Ring is able to tempt is based on the desire that the individual has. Bilbo's mind was very slowly being consumed by the temptation of the Ring, despite having little desire, being a simple hobbit. You can see the slow transformation and the sudden outbursts he makes, a sign that the Ring does indeed do more than amplify the desires, but also tempt and corrupt.

Frodo in the movies is extremely detestable. PJ has managed to take away crucial scenes that display his courage (eg Bruinen Ford) and replaced it with a weak, whiny, irritating character that is constantly in pain and anguish, almost self-pitying. This is totally unlike the character that Tokien has written, and is absolutely out of character as far as the nature of hobbits is concerned.

I think PJ is trying to dramatize the effect that the Ring has on Frodo. Instead of making subtle changes that would culminate in ROTK, leading to Frodo shouting at Sam when Sam offered to take the Ring, and claiming the Ring for himself at Mount Doom, PJ chooses to portray the Ring's great impact on Frodo prematurely so that the audience can comprehend the burden that Frodo carries.

The only concern I have is that PJ will have a difficulty making the burden even greater, especially since Frodo in TTT is close to breaking down and has even threatened to kill Sam after offering the Ring to a Nazgul. How can it possibly get any worse than that???
I Like Frodo!!!!Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Smile Smilie
Frodo almost handing over the ring to the Nazgul made me almost choke on my popcorn. Luckily my father was there to slap the heck out of my back and revive me. That whole scene was engineered for the sole purpose of ending the movie with yet another cliffhanger. Right? WRONG. After some thought, I have to disagree with the whole "Frodo and the Nazgul" grievance.

In the book, Frodo is tempted to take the Ring to the Witch King in Minas Morgul. This is the very doorsteps of Mordor. The Witch King even feels the Ring while he leads his army out of Mordor. Yet Sauron continues to focus on Gondor. So, I don't think that having a Nazgul see Frodo with the Ring ruins the plot. In fact, as there seemingly will be no Palantir' thrown at gandalf or Palantir-gazing for Aragorn, (sad, very sad.) This may be PJ's way to explain Sauron's quick attack at Gondor. What the heck else could it be?

As far as how Frodo is portrayed in the movie,i totally agree his burden of the Ring is premature and redundant. They have hammered away with this scene constantly throughout, leaving us with a deplorable midget, rather than a brave hobbit named Frodo, standing against all odds. And if that wasn't enough we have something the book does portray at this point, Gollum's obsession with the ring, which in PJ's movie is inappropriately comical and get's nothing but laughs from non-fans. Smoke Smilie
Hmmm....but now that the witch-king knows that Frodo has the ring, won't the whole of Mordor be on the look out of Frodo...In this way how will Frodo complete his quest?
Hey, i never claimed PJ's own interpretation is feasible. In fact i find it moronic. But if i think like a moron, i come up with some crazy answers. My last post is my only reasoning for why PJ would insert a scene like that. But again, since it seems that the aragorn/palantir gazing scene won't make it to the movie, this is probably PJ's effort to convince us that Sauron's sudden invasion of Gondor isn't premature and he's acting on instinct. I dunno.... Smoke Smilie
Quote:
Hmmm....but now that the witch-king knows that Frodo has the ring, won't the whole of Mordor be on the look out of Frodo...In this way how will Frodo complete his quest?
No, the last thing on Middle-earth that Sauron expects is for anyone to be dumb enough to throw The One Ring away. He expects it to now be taken to Minas Tirith where a champion will arise to contest him for dominance of power. Now that Palantir-gazing for Aragorn appears to no longer be viable, this is why he will hastily attack Gondor. He does not wish to allow this champion the time to rally all his forces behind him. Teacher Smilie
That is what the Council of Elrond was thriving for...but it was to be done in secret. Sauron only expects it to be going to Minas Tirith in the beginning when he does not have a trail to where the ring went. However, without Aragorn and the Palantir...there will be no one to mislead him to think that the ring is in Aragorn's possesion...
Besides, if you think logically, do you think the witch-king will let Frodo out of his sight? I mean if I were the witch-king, I will follow Frodo everywhere or at least send someone to look out for him so as to strike him when he is not wary...either way Frodo will be dead and the ring will be mine in no time...
Come on now, you can't hate Frodo!!
I don't hate Frodo in the least. But come on, does he really whine in the movie any more than he does in the book? Let's face it, by the end of the quest Frodo was an absolute wreck and Sam was practically draggin' his sorry butt through Mordor.

I think Elijah Wood has done a fine job as have all of the actors (I'd possibly make an exception for Miranda Otto... /me was not especially impressed).

And I'm sorry, but I'm glad PJ didn't decide to go with a short, fat, 50 year old Frodo (as he was in the books)... that's Danny DeVito for Eru's sake! Big Laugh Smilie
Quote:
Come on now, you can't hate Frodo!!

Exactly. I mean, he almost died trying to save the world. Even if he did 'whine' a lot in the book, I think I'd probably whine too if I was going through extreme agony on a mission where I knew that IF I completed it, I would die anyway.
I dont really like frodo in the movies. he is so much sweeter in the books. Sam is better, Faramir is So sweet and he Never took him to Osgiliath! but..you know, Elijah wood did do a good job.
ya. i agree with Per again.even Pippin was braver in the movie. and he is younger and smaller[in size]
I like Frodo in both films! Big Smile Smilie Well that`s me opinion. I think he`s charcter was played well.
Quote:
And I'm sorry, but I'm glad PJ didn't decide to go with a short, fat, 50 year old Frodo

Big Laugh Smilie Me to Prog, that would not be good!

[Edited on 27/2/2003 by Stonehelm]
Mad Smilie Mad Smilie Mad Smilie Mad Smilie Mad Smilie Mad Smilie Mad Smilie Mad Smilie

You`ve messed with the wrong girl!! I`ll warn you, all the boys from my school think my legs are the dangerous part of my body, so be warned! Big Smile Smilie I`ll get you!

Oh and if you think Legolas is a wuss, if that`s who you mean, you must be soooooooooooooooo stupid to think it!! Big Laugh Smilie
Frodo.....hmmm....well you gotta love the guy....he volunteered for the ring business and half a groat you can be me Goodwu............wait a sec??? what the heck did I just write?? Oh man Plastic has to much influence in me Smoke Smilie
Well he is a great guy, brave, sometimes smart and extremely loveable(not Plastic but Frodo Big Laugh Smilie no hard feelings Plastic?)
Big Laugh Smilie Sorry, Plas, I don`t love you or Frodo. I like you oh and I sort of have the hots for Elijah. Big Laugh Smilie
Bored of the Rings is a spoof of LOTR done by the Harvard lampoon, it's very much still available (in a new edition subtitled "NOT A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE") and very funny, just as long as you know a lot about '60s american pop culture, otherwise it's mostly unintelligible.
I'm sorry, I just felt compelled to put in an appearance after that. Very funny....
Kiss Smilie Does that make you feel better? Big Laugh Smilie
Plastic what is Bored of the rings??? You got that quote from it but I have no idea what it is....
So is it a movie or a book?
I´d like to know so I can get it!
I`ve never heard of it. I thought everyone was taking the mick out of LOTR saying that it was boring and that`s were the name came from BOTR. Big Laugh Smilie Oh well, I missunderstood.
Quote:
Plastic what is Bored of the rings??? You got that quote from it but I have no idea what it is....
Quote:
So is it a movie or a book?
I´d like to know so I can get it!
It is a book and I recently purchased a copy of it from Am*zon.com by it's reqular name to replace the half-read copy I lost during a plane change in 1972. So now I have finally, after all these years, figured out how the story ends. I never would have waited that long for the original tale's ending. Elf Winking Smilie
Was it boring then? If it is, I`m not getting it. If it isn`t I`ll try to have a look around to find it fist and maybe I`ll buy it.
Who,Who,Who could not LOVE Frodo?! In Love Smilie
They did rotten on Faramir,he was awesome in the book but NO good in the movie!!They made Him basicly evil.Very Evil Smilie
I am very dissapointed in you all for thinking Frodo was I quot" Frodo was just being wimpy in the movie."
And many like that!I dont think any of you could have done better with the ring(in the movie)then frodo.
Nothing personal...
Good point, I do like Frodo in the movie so you can`t hold anything personal to me. Big Laugh Smilie
Quote:
Was it boring then? If it is, I`m not getting it. If it isn`t I`ll try to have a look around to find it fist and maybe I`ll buy it.

I highly doubt that it was boring if Ross AND Grondy bought it and wanted to read it.....I wish I could find it Sad Smilie ....... Bored of the Rings here I come!
I don't like or dislike Frodo. He's just Frodo. And dough the rest of the movie makes me wish I never saw it, I found Wood to be quite a capable actor. And I think the whole concept of Frodo being "wimpy" as someone said, is that it is ment only to show all the lenghts of Sam's aid, and just being there for Frodo. That's how I see it.
Hi and welcome to PT LadyBlueAutomnSky! *BIG WELCOMING HUGS* I hope you will enjoy this magnificient Tolkien salute as much as I am!

Cheers PT!!
Well i think Frodo is the runner-up in the Wuss Championships after Legolamb for sure. Smoke Smilie
No i always tell the truth.
I agree it was to tease me. He always teases me!! Big Laugh Smilie
Well the truth hurts... maybe you can't handle the truth? Big Laugh Smilie
Oh I can handle the truth! Bring it on!! Big Laugh Smilie
Moderator Smilie Can we keep things on topic please guys (and girls) Moderator Smilie

Idle chatter should be done in the chatroom or via PM... Thanks Smile Smilie
Sorry. Sad Smilie
I don't love him or hate him; the movie diminished his role a bit in its quest to give screentime to other things. (i.e. non Tolkienites crying, "Where'd all the elves go that were in the first movie? C'mon, I want more elves!")

He has some good moments near the beginning "Yes, Sam, I can smell it" and "You will lead us to the Black Gate" and that very well-done exchange between him and Sméagol, which I think illustrated well, if in rather broad strokes for the benefit of less perceptive moviegoers, the rather complex relationship between Frodo and Sméagol.

Unfortunely Peter Jackson's rule of thumb in the movies is to make everything ten times worse. Frodo's totally unconscious on the Flight to the Fords. Multiple Ringwraiths are galloping on his tail even in the Shire. Éomer, not Erkenbrand, is missing, along with most of the fighting force of Rohan. And here, Frodo's succombing to the Ring's infuence long before he does in the books, where — oh, I don't want to spoil it, but it's not until he gets into Mordor that he really starts changing.

This is a big problem since all of Frodo's scenes of leadership or strength in the first stage of his journey were cut. He comes out very passive. PJ's going to have to do a heck of a job with Shelob in ROTK to restore the casual audience's trust in Frodo that he's a remarkable and brave character. Dashing towards the Black Gate (trying to) was a start, and protecting Sam, and in fact the way he said "You will lead us to the Black Gate", but his scenes got overshadowed by the much more dramatic stuff happening in Rohan.

The other problem is that by undermining Aragorn (on the premise that the audience would not initially accept an utterly perfect, epic-heroic character) PJ had to spend lots of time this movie giving him a makeover. All that death and rebirth stuff. We must hope he'll do the same for Frodo.

Summary: mixed feelings. He was all right. He could have been better. Smile Smilie

[Edited on 20/4/2003 by Valedhelgwath]
I don't like him and I don't hate him, but he takes all the credit from smeagol about saving middle earth. It was actually gollum and smeagol that destroyed the ring, since he technically fell in in the book, but frodo pushed him in the movie. I go by the book! Gollum destroyed the ring while frodo cried like a blubbering baby about his nazgulmstab, neck, feet, and bit off finger! Grow up blue eyes!

Frodo from the movie? Well... I love him and I hate him at the same time. I think Frodo has some flaws due to the way he way translated into the movie, he's pretty one-dimensional there. He's whining, and he can be only scared or suspicious, these two emotions are on his face almost all the time. I guess he had to arouse pity in the viewers, but it's a shame that he doesn't have this moxie vibe that I felt when I was reading the books. I don't want to see him only as a weak tool in the enemy's hands (I mean the Ring, but how could i write in the Ring's hands? Wink Smilie). He is the heart of the story, not just a small person with a lot of problems. So I don't hate Frodo character, only the way he way portrayed bothers me.

Yeah, Elijah wood made him gay! In the book he was a strong individual with more than one emotion. I loved reading about how he 'controls smeagol' it makes me think! But yeah, his portrayal sucked, while gollum's was epically amazing, and sam's was awesomest in fotr! Sam had a good character in the movie, better than in the books. Gollum was awesomer in the movies too. But frodo sucked. I think Elijah killed frodo and doesn't deserve to be the main character. I could have been a better frodo than him!

Cautiosly edited by Amarië to better suit our younger audience. Sorry, it's the rules.  http://www.planet-tolkien.com/board/45/2064/0/list-of-website-rules

Ok, Smeagol, two questions; You're a girl right? And also, are you serious? What are you saying?  Not judging, just wondering.

Edited by Amarië.

Why do you think Elijah Wood made the character gay? I thought that he was cast well- there were some ways he was portrayed i didn't agree with, but how does that make him gay?

Plus, btw, we never actually find out his sexual oreintation.  so- it is possible that Frodo himself was Gay.

Yes i am serious. And Frodo was just making faces all the time! Frodo may have been gay, but we'll never know since we cant get an answer from Tolkien's grave!

Edited by Amarië

Firstly Smeagol what makes you think that a Gay Hobbit couldn't be strong and a ring bearer? You should not bandy words about on line as, like myself, some members may find it insulting. Secondly there is absolutely no evidence that Film Frodo was meant to be Gay. So I think you are simply trying to use the word Gay as an insult.

Grow up Mate and realise that you are making other members think that you are too immature to be a member here. You are totally undoing the teachings of Tolkien by your purile comments.

Well I enjoyed Elijah Wood's performance overall. Was it perfect? Hardly. But I think a lot of the problem was the writing moreso than his performance. It was a little....dreary at times. My BIGGEST issues with Frodo/Sam in the film was the way they looked/talked to eachother. I certainly mean no offense when I say this, but the fact is Wood and Astin came off like a couple of high schoolers in love. They'd get into stupid arguments, they'd stare passionately into each others eyes, and just some of the things they said, in the book or not, just sounded flirty moreso than friendly.

I just know that in the book, I felt they were the epitome of friendship. Nothing could break the connection between them. A connection SO strong that when other's tried to portray it, it just didn't seem quite right. It wasn't constant or bad enough to ruin my opinion on them as actors or the film, but there were some scenes that were just....ridiculous. So while Smeagol might not have chosen the best phrasing, sadly I see where they are coming from and I have to agree. Instead of a loving friendship it was more like they were actually IN love.

But I still loved Elijah Wood as Frodo and Sean Astin as Sam. Considering the roles they had with a Hollywood twist and the insurmountable amounts of pressure that came with them, I thought they did a great job.

[1] [2] >>