Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: eowyn doll

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Two Towers > eowyn doll   
Maybe they are waiting until next Autumn to bring out their action figure of Dernhelm, 'Warrior Lady of the Rohirrim', timing it to coincide with the third movie, where Eowyn gains her spurs--unless PJ is going to commit another sacrilege and give that part to Arwen too. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
Just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of the Toy Biz LOTR action figure line, and I have the majority of the figures they have made in my collection. In case you didn't know farimirsgirl, Toy Biz has action figures for both Eowyn, and Galadriel (they are both awesome). Infact, I'm bidding on a Galadriel on Ebay right now (hopefully I get it, they only pack one per case, and they are super hard to come by). I completely understand your reasons for being upset, and I agree with your points, but let's not forget that weíre talking about toys, not real life. All Toy Biz is doing here is adhering to an age-old marketing principal, targeting your main demographic.

It's the exact same reason that Mattel doesn't gear their Barbie doll line towards boys, they aren't the vast majority who are buying the products. This doesn't mean that boys can't play with Barbie dolls, or that girls can't play with LOTR action figures, and this isn't gender stereotyping, this is just smart business. In fact, about a year ago, Toy Biz wasnít planning on producing a Galadriel (they had always planned on producing Eowyn), but due to overwhelming customer demand; they gave in to the masses, and produced a Galadriel (which I just won for $15.50, must be my lucky day cause I havenít seen one go for less than $20 yet). If the majority of the LOTR action figure market is male, then I think the fact that Toy Biz did produce a Galadriel says something.

I havenít mentioned this on this site before, but outside of playing music, I also sell vintage Star Wars toys for a living. I have my own business, my own website, and I have sold vintage SW toys to hundreds of customers all over the world. However, in the almost 2 years I have been in business, Iíve only had like 3 or 4 female customers. Again, when talking about the action figure market, I donít think the problem is gender stereotyping. The problem is boys will be boys, and girls will be girls, and the fact of the matter is that most girls do not buy, or care, or even think about action figures (sorry, but itís true). BTW, the Eowyn figure does come with a sword.
Elf Smilie

[Edited on 20/2/2003 by Elfstone]
Well, that's good to know. I got this off another site that posts LotR news and such, so I didn't actually know much about it until now! Anyway, thanks for letting me (and everyone else who reads this) know!