Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: your positive ideas about the movie....

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Two Towers > your positive ideas about the movie....   
I liked shadowfax! And Gollum.
Positive things about LotR: TTT

I liked the depiction of Edoras, Helm's Deep, and Fangorn Forest. …owyn and …omer met my expectations, as did Wormtongue; Gollum/Smťagol and Treebeard exceeded them.

[Edited on 19/7/2003 by Grondmaster]
guess what?!? i got to meet andy serkis in person. he is a really charming guy with an enchanting britsh accent. he even did gollum's voice for me!!!
Vir!. you're like a broken record!
I really loved the beginning, hearing Gandalf's voice echoing through the mountains. After that, I loved everything else about it apart from the Aragorn-Horse kissing scene, and Legolas skateboarding on a shield.

The scene where the Rangers of Ithilien ambushed the Haradrim army was really good too.
Arrrrggggh! You made me remember. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Actually, having only seen it once, there is so much that I have forgotten (some on purpose like the two bits in Val's last post) that I will have to wait for the DVD next month before I can really give a definitive answer.
I was a little disappointed with my initial viewing of TT.
(Things were missing from the book that I was expecting to see, plus Faramir had been changed.) However, after my second exposure, I loved it.

The parts that impressed me most really surprised me because I usually wouldn't notice them. Edoras and Helm's deep were amazing. I liked the portrayal of Eowyn.The horses were magnificent. Gollum stole the spotlight- how did PJ do that? You remember Gollum more than Aragorn. That is a feat when you consider that gorgeous Viggo is performing the role of Aragorn!
Rhodry luvs~~Eowyn~~ *sigh* Making Out Smilie
I loved it all, especially where PJ changed the whole plot around and upset the obssessive nutters out there (Like Vir and Ross) giving me the chance to laugh heartily at their outrage, and the ridiculous plot-changes both at once. Top marks for comedy.
I liked it even less than FOTR, too far away from the true Tolkien spirit for me, alas! But as this thread is for POSITIVE ideas, well, I liked some elements:
(1) Shadowfax and his arrival to Gandalf
(2) Eowyn - Miranda Otto did not correspond to "my" Eowyn but she was good, really good
(3) The fact that PJ showed (briefly) Theodred and that Theoden was shown to mourn for his son. I always thought that book Theoden was much too little grief-stricken by the death of his only son.
(4) Ithilien - perfect, exactly as I imagined it
(4) "Oliphaunts"
(5) Flying steeds of Nazgul
(6) The ruins of Osgiliath

I liked:

Gollum's arguments, his appearance, and the way he was acted.

Everything about Treebeard, except that he had to be conned into what he should already have known what he should do, if he had been about his business.

Eowyn and Edoras.

The Ringwraiths' flying steedsóI don't expect this is what Eowyn will kill when she meets up with the Witch King though, it should be more like a featherless vulture IMHO.
ok, you know what people? I'm kinda starting to look forward to the last movie now... Big Smile Smilie Imagine that.
I laughed a lot when Boromir did something like "what the **** they have a cave troll" in the mines of moria. For the rest : green laughing.
In retrospect, I'm kinda glad that Gimli cracked some jokes and made a pratfall or two; it helped lightened the scenes up and kept them from being morbid or scary.
Quote:

I loved it all, especially where PJ changed the whole plot around and upset the obssessive nutters out there (Like Vir and Ross)
Giving us obssessive nutters something to be upset about!
Does it have to be positive ideas?
Yes AulŽ, that is the name of the tread, so be positive. Wink Smilie
oh darn itTongue Smilie
alright then....a positive thing.....hmmm....well....that...nah....sorry AmariŽ....canīt come up with the darndest thingTongue Smilie
If I come up with any Iīll get back to you....Wink Smilie and you that that means I ainīt coming backTongue Smilie unless I can say anything negativeTongue Smilie hahahahhaa

Ciao
Gee, I wonder how I knew you would say that!? Big Laugh Smilie
Well I have to tell you that when I arrived here few months ago, I really really loved both films of PJ (don't worry, I still liked the books more... Cool Smilie ), but I actually changed my mind when reading all those postBodys about saying that the film misses some caracters , the film invents deaths (has anyone heard that haldir was dead???) so I actually changed my mind and now I think it's a good film (I can't change THAT much...) but that it's really 'hockey pucks' compared to JRRT...

Maybe because of Aule , Vir and Ross's postBodys Wink Smilie ...I'mstarting to think that they may be right... Smile Smilie

[Edited on 16/10/2003 by Grondmaster]
Nice to see someone is finally able to look through the 'hockey pucks' of the movies. Thumbs up for Florian.

[Edited on 16/10/2003 by Grondmaster]
Woo hoo one slightly converted punter!
Quote:
(has anyone heard that haldir was dead???)

You didn't notice that in the film Florian? It really PMO, I sat in my seat just waiting to explode, a really unnecessary action! So Angry Smilie

But this is supposed to be a positive thread so:
I liked the special effects (Gollum and stuff) and I'm looking forward to see if Huttula is as I imagined in ROTK.

[Edited on 17/10/2003 by Celebrian]
Quote:
I'm looking forward to see if Huttula is as I imagined in ROTK.
Okay, we have here another of those translation thingys. Which character went by the name of Huttula in your book? Faramir's old man, the old nurse in the houses of healing, the Guardsman of the Citadel, the Wild Man Ghan-buri-Ghan, or none of the above? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I'm not laughing at you Celebrian, but at the problems our different languages cause in trying to be true to Tolkien's translation of Westron into English and then the translater's dificulties in subsequntly converting that to his own language.
I think Huttula is Shelob. I could be wrong though.
Hutula is Shelob in Norwegian yes. I'm looking forward to she her too! Big Smile Smilie
Ah, that's okay then; even I, who really dislike spiders of any size, am interested to see how PJ represents Shelob. The tad bit shown in the trailer and its stills didn't give me enough of her to know if I should be amused, worried, afraid, frightened, or terrified. Super Scared Smilie
Hahaha, same here, Grondy! Big Smile Smilie The Shelob footage was too short for me to make any opinion, so we'll just have to wait!
Sorry AmariŽ but I have to point out that I havenīt found anything positive with the movies....sorryWink Smilie
Well maybe a positive thing about the movies is that they make me appreciate the books even more.

true....true indeed Virumor....but you always did appreciate the books right?
Well, after i read them : of course.
Quote:
Well, after i read them : of course.

I appreciated them before that, they make mighty fine doorstops, and table props too. And squish those big bugs that won't die with just a newspaper.
Quote:
I appreciated them before that, they make mighty fine doorstops, and table props too. And squish those big bugs that won't die with just a newspaper

Hmm, i use my Bible for that. God expresses himself in mysterious ways.
The most important thing about the movie was that it made LotR and Tolkien even more popular! (there must be a limit for this!) Of course, if one sees the movie and doesn't read the book, he will miss the whole point Tolkien tried to make!

Namarie!
i can understand why you may completely dislike the movies but what i cant see is how you can dislike them with such, well, hate. i know there are things that i disagree with and dislike myself, but to be so utterly bent on insulting them, have you no respect for what they made, or attemped to, for nothing more then our sheer enjoyment and you have the nerve to hate it so. have you no heart at all?

Quote:
Of course, if one sees the movie and doesn't read the book, he will miss the whole point Tolkien tried to make!

EXACTLLY!

Quote:
have you no heart at all?

EvithianEhtmire: I do have a heart...and itīs functioning quite well...pumping blood throughout my body and keeping me alive....I donīt think Iīve met a person who hasnīt got a heart and lives Tongue Smilie
While some may claim that Melkor was heartless, I have the proof that it's not so:

Quote:
Blackheart! she (Ungoliant) said. I have done thy bidding. But I hunger still.

Silmarillion, Chapter IX

If even Melkor has a heart, I doubt there is a Man without one!

P.S.: That's how a nice metaphore can sink in pragmatism in no time!