Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Easterling script

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Two Towers > Easterling script   
Quote:
Also, it looks like there are set tengwa and tehta. Tehtar that are above tengwar go BEFORE them in this mode. I'm 100% sure about this. I'll mail you some more stuff when I am able.
That must be right then, because I got exactly the same thing. I think the one that looks like an acute accent, placed over the right hand side of the tengwa is an O.
It just looks like distorted Tengwar to me.
Yes, it does look like they mixed Tengwar with Arabic and twisted it. Since I have nothing else to do; I'm currently analyzing the script to separate probable vowels and consonants; though there are some stokes that look like neither, i.e. "following y, or +s, etc." I don't expect to understand what it means, though, since I don't know if its in English, or the crew created a bloody language for the Easterlings as well. Anyway, i can't do much with such a limited resource of examples. If anyone else sees more examples of Easterling script, or an explanation on that example, please post a link here or email me @ arcorma@tolkienmail.com. !
I believe it's English, and contains the words sword and lord. I'll email you my first ideas.
I've sent you two versions.
Whoa, beat me to it Pere. But I can't find any emails or pms anywhere. I have two accounts, and one's acting up.
Where did u send these? try arcorma@tolkienmail.com
Whoa. I mean, how did u do that? Shocked Smilie Happy Elf Smilie
That's the one I sent it to, I'll send it again now.
Done. I hope you get it this time. Smile Smilie
Whoa! I don't know what happened to my email. I have zilch in my inboxes; haven't got mail 4 centuries. Anyway, I did NOT receive it. I hope I can find out what's wrong. R u able to pm it 2 me? At least that works. Sad Smilie
Maybe THAT's why I couldnt get a KoC confirmation email. Anyway, I'll recheck my email, then try and contact the provider if i can. Actually, Rednell was able to email me, but no one else has been. Huh? Anyway, I'll check.
I have nothing in my inboxes. Maybe the email server's down? Anyway, I've also made some progress, i.e. separating vowels from consonants; comparing to Tengwar, Sarati, Cirth, Angerthas, and Daeron's cursive runes. I am starting to guess at symbol's meanings; but nothing I've done has come out with recognizeable words.
I can't pm it to you because attatchments aren't possible with pm's. Do you have another email we could use. I fyou've made some progress, [email=patrick_vary@hotmail.com]email it to me here[/email].
Peredhil, ive heard that my tolkienmail account is just ther in name only; it doesnt work @ all. Also, my hotmail account is not working, either. Nell tried to email me, and i got zilch. So, I'm setting up another address. But I don't have a scanner or dig. camera, so if i try to send you progress, i'll have to write, i.e. the 4th character from the left looks like the tengwa silmė. So for now, those accounts are just unreceiving pieces of junk. Sad Smilie
You two probably ought to be holding this 'email problem' conversation by PM rather than in the forum, but I don't mind it being here as long as everyone doesn't do it.
Quote:
Peredhil, ive heard that my tolkienmail account is just ther in name only; it doesnt work @ all. Also, my hotmail account is not working, either. Nell tried to email me, and i got zilch. So, I'm setting up another address. But I don't have a scanner or dig. camera, so if i try to send you progress, i'll have to write, i.e. the 4th character from the left looks like the tengwa silmė. So for now, those accounts are just unreceiving pieces of junk. Sad Smilie
Just open the image in paint and use the text tool.
Ok, thanx.
I'll try to organise my theories/ideas/etc. into a legible thing you can understand.
Btw, if you want to send anything to me on this script thing, [email] wanderer_478@hotmail.com [/email]

[Edited on 8/20/2003 by Arcormacolindóva]
If only I knew how to set up mailto: links.
Instead of [mailto], use [email].
Thanx, Pere. I'm working on something to send u. Btw, the two marks that look like : are definitely a form of punctuation; it looks like the Quenya 'full stop,' or pusta/putta. Also, it looks like there are set tengwa and tehta. Tehtar that are above tengwar go BEFORE them in this mode. I'm 100% sure about this. I'll mail you some more stuff when I am able.
I also think it is an O. I'm e-mailing you what I've organized now.
I think our basic ideas are roughly the same, which can only be good. I think your 'the end' is right too. Smile Smilie
That's good; I'm glad our ideas aren't conflicting. I'll start organizing some more; if you figure out anything, let me know.
I've started to work on another set of stuff; it might be easier if there was some way that we could look @ the relationships btween the characters; and make hypothetical guesses to the sahpes of other cahracters and symbols. I've started thi; I might send it to you soon if you want.
Good, send it as soon as you get anything, I'll do the same.
Peredhil, when the TTT DVD comes out I'm gonna rent it and goto the Black Gate section. I know there were close-ups on Easterlings there; maybe we/I could use zoom and see what we/I can find?
Good idea. I'll buy it as soon as it comes out, so we can both have a go.
Quote:
Peredhil, when the TTT DVD comes out I'm gonna rent it and goto the Black Gate section. I know there were close-ups on Easterlings there; maybe we/I could use zoom and see what we/I can find?

It was harder than it looked... Anyway, I've managed to piece together a few sketchlike images of some of te symbols on the armor. U want me 2 email u or not?
Please do. I'll se what I can make of them. Smile Smilie