Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Horseman

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Two Towers > Horseman   
I was just wandering whether anyone else noticed how the horsemen, when they charge, never get hurt when they are facing spears. It's probably something to do with their instinct but when Haldir's men charged lots of them got speared but in Eomer's charge and the Muster of Rohan they all get off unhurt?
no....lots died but since the orcs were paniced and Gandalf was there (unless youre talking about Pelanor...) they did not plant their spears well enough and the riders had skills so they could knock aside some spears and others just died...thats my theory
Miruvor would tell you that PJ had no sense of Military History, because cavalry never stood a chance in a head on charge against pikemen, which was why the pikes (long non-thrown spears) were developed in the first place. If they could flank the pikemen the could roll them up, so then the pikemen formed squares and it took artillary or massive rifle power to bust them up. This was even true in the Napoleonic wars. Infantry with pikes could hold off charging cavalry.
Quote:
I was just wandering whether anyone else noticed how the horsemen, when they charge, never get hurt when they are facing spears. It's probably something to do with their instinct but when Haldir's men charged lots of them got speared but in Eomer's charge and the Muster of Rohan they all get off unhurt?

If you are referring to the end of the battle of Helm's Deep : the fact that Mozes/Gandalf the White was with the horsemen and blinded the Uruk-Hai with his light, helped a lot in reducing the casualties.
Thamks, I understand now Big Smile Smilie
I thought a great deal about those pikes as you call them and wondered how on earth any horse could go past them without being skewered. They are evil. War sucks.
I wish more of our great, and not so great, leaders would understand that last bit of Leelee's above post, before they ever entertained any thoughts about making war. 'When will they ever learn; when will they ever learn?'
Indeed the frontline or two of Horsemen would stand very little chance of survival but a whole army of Horsemen charging in close ranks full speed at a line of Pikemen would manage to break it up. When you consider a Horse and a Rider both way with there armour about 35-45 stone and you have a few hundred, or few thousand all charging at you and you have an 9foot spear sticking in there direction it would be pretty hard to hold more than one of. The force of them suddenly impacting the end of the spear would simply knock you down. Remember also that the horses can jump fairly high and they also mostly have armour protecting there heads, neck and front.
Also that is why in the film when the army of 6000 Rohirrim charged against the Orcs of Pellenor who only have short jagged pikes, capable of doing limited damage compared to the Pikes of the Uruk-Hia, that is why they were simply swept away but the Horsemen. I think alot of people forget the shear forces a 40 stone horsemen charging at you at perhaps 15mph or more, clad in armour would do.
Also don't forget that the Rohirrim often had bows whilst riding so it would be probable that perhaps 40 meters or so from the pikemen as they are charging they would fire arrows at the front rows of pikemen to thin them out whilst there charging.
Quote:
I thought a great deal about those pikes as you call them and wondered how on earth any horse could go past them without being skewered.

Don't worry. Gandalf the White changed them ghastly pikes all into lollipop sticks with marzipan points right before impact.

Never ever would Whitey risk his Shadowfax to be hurt now, would he?
That might be so Lord but as to me at least every single life was precious it is a hideous thought that so many had to fall, be snuffed out just like that in order to gain even a little ground. When one person dies think of all the people in that person's life that is now bereft of that person, perhaps shattered. It is staggering to me, just staggering.
Vir.........."Whitey"?
Maybe the heavily armored warhorses of medieval times would charge pikemen, but the cavalry of the Napoleonic era could not; their horses veered away when they encountered the protective squares. Horses are not dumb animals; they just can't talk. Yes they would charge a line, but not if it was protected by pikemen, unless they could come in on its flank and roll it up before it could form squares.