Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tolkien's imagination

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Author > Tolkien's imagination   [1] [2] >>
I guess you`re right! Big Smile Smilie Though, some famous people were on drugs, they weren`t alway oaf heads.... Wink Smilie I wouldn`t have thought that Mr Tolkien was on drugs anyway...I don`t know a lot about him but from his books he was NOT on drugs! Big Smile Smilie

Fame and not taking drugs are mostly the people I like, but famous and taking drugs, there are very few I like... Cool Smilie
Who has said that? Never ever heard anyone insult Tolkien in my presence.....I personally KNOW that Tolkien was a imaginative man. A man with a childs heart. He was a great man. Probably the greatest man ever....Thatīs MY opinion...
On drugs?? That is just load of *male-cow-poop* spoken by people who have no idea what they are talking about. The LOTR is not a world dreamt up by a drug head. Tolkienís imagination knew no boundaries, but his works reflect the serious person he was. He didn't just make up a magical land in some unknown, far-away world; he gave it a several thousand yearlong history.

He created a world that lives by it self and eventually will lead to our present time. It has several carefully created languages which all have their own history and a connection to each other (Like how the Rohirrim speech is related to Shire speech). The elvish languages have dictionaries and grammar and own alphabets. The lotr world has a great and long history behind it from the creation of the world, up to the time LOTR takes place, and beyond. He spent so many years creating this world and it has so many carefully planned details and still we don't know half of it. He had so may ideas he didn't have time to write down and so much of his notes are still unpublished.

WellÖ this could go on forever so Iíll just stop here. I guess you all got my point. Wink Smilie

And about the people who say these things, there is a thread in The Golden Perch called ďonly for greatest tolkien fansĒ where we have discussed this. Maybe this thread here should be moved there? Well, that's up to the council.
I agree totally with you AmariŽ!
I`ve never had as great an imagination as Tolkien, and I`ll probablynever have as good a one as Tolkien. I don`t mind though. It still isn`t the end of the world.

If you have an imagination as creative or more creative, as Tolkien`s, you have been born with a gift. Don`t throw that gift away. Use it and you could become a writer one day.

And maybe, just maybe, you could become a big success like Tolkien. And you could be known world wide.

If things work out like that: CONGRATULATIONS!! Pary Smilie

The best of luck to everyone. xx
Thanks Sheryl! I like to think of it that way, not that I have an imagination anywhere near Tolkien's, but I do like to make things up.
I do not think Tolkien was on drugs. I think that he was filled with a desire to write what was in him, and he fed his imagination on the world around him, the places he walked by every day, and the places he read about in ancient literature.
I don't think that because Tolkien was imaginative he used drugs. He just had the correct job for him... A writer!!! It's the same thing saying that The Beatles used drugs just because they were great...
Quote:
It's the same thing saying that The Beatles used drugs just because they were great...

Except that they did, lots and lots, and weren't, if you catch my drift (not wishing to go off-topic, but wanting to be historically accurate)
Did Tolkien use drugs then? If he did, I never heard that he did. That`s unusual. I wouldn`t do drugs just for imagination, fame and power. That`s just silly. I wouldn`t have drugs even if my life depended on it, you could die after taking just one! UNBELIEVABLE!!
I really don't think Tolkien used any kinds of drugs at all.
He was blessed with the gift of imagination which most kids have untill they are small then they seem to lose it.But I guess he was one big and intelligent kid with a steady hand so the result is LOTR.Besides as Amarie said this world can not be created by a "drug head".
Actually I think this discussion is unnecessary at all.Good thing Amarie gave her excellent opinion on this and she got her POW for it Big Smile Smilie
I don`t think that Tolkien took drugs and that`s my final say in that subject.
He wasn't at all, and was shocked at the suggestion when it was made (back in the '60s) however, the Beatles were.
I don`t like the Beatles anyway, they shouldn`t take drugs just for fame. Mad Smilie Silly boys!! Big Smile Smilie
Sheryl, you have to understand that the Beatles didn't take drugs for fame or success, they did it b/c like most big musicians, they need a new way of seeing reality in order to come up with new ways of expressing reality in their music.

I agree, though, that Tolkien would be the last person I would think of as being a drug fiend. Maybe, like Gandalf, he liked the pipe-weed as a way to clear his mind and calm his nerves but he wouldn't take drugs (of a narcotic nature) for the purpose of greatness. in his biography, he really didn't take too well to greatness. Just imagine a shy and awkward person who shuns the limelight. That was Tolkien. He only loved to teach and was able to stand the spotlight.
Well, I think that ALL of the famous are accused of using drugs because there're many jealous people out there that can't agree with the success of the others!
Quote:
Sheryl, you have to understand that the Beatles didn't take drugs for fame or success, they did it b/c like most big musicians, they need a new way of seeing reality in order to come up with new ways of expressing reality in their music.

I understand, thanks for pointing it out for me...
Big Smile Smilie
Why is it that because someone has a wonderful imagination and uses it, they are "reported" to use drugs. Tolkein was simply an extremely clever, imaginative writer.His was an era of extremely "different" people, if you understand what I mean. Next we will hear that Kenneth Grahame took drugs, or even Shakespear. I wish there were moire people who wrote that way today. (not casting slurs on some of our modern writers,) but there does not seem to be the depth in books written now. Or am I wrong and just getting old and nostalgic? Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie
I think you'll find there are plenty of fantasy writers these days who have the same kind of depth and imagination a Tolkien had, you just need to know where to look. Looking at the works of people like Katherine Kerr and Robert Jordan in particular, I would say that there is just as much imagination among writer now, if not more, than in Tolkien's day. In fantasy terms, Tolkien was really the only postAuthorID of note at that time. Now, however, with the aforementioned two and many more, there is a wide range of imaginitive novels around, you just need to sift through some of the less imaginitive stuff first.
Quote:
Well, I think that ALL of the famous are accused of using drugs because there're many jealous people out there that can't agree with the success of the others!

That's interesting Celtavhc. I never thought of this one before, but I think that we tend to think a lot of people gained talent unaturally.
Quote:
I think that we tend to think a lot of people gained talent unaturally.
That's probably because a lot did use drugs, particularly in the music industry, but not to enhance talent, as this is impossible. Unfortunately, people on the whole are slow to change their minds, and when Tolkien's books were widely acknowledged as the best, a lot of people looked at the best musicians of the time and naturally accused Tolkien of using drugs. What those people didn't understand is that the prominant drug use in the music industry was solely to do with the accompanying lifestyle, related to the money gained through natural talent rather than directly to talent itself. This lifestyle is far from that of an postAuthorID, so in my opinion it is wrong to assume that Tolkien was on drugs.
Very well put Peredhil! What can I say...I agree. Big Smile Smilie
This is funny Big Laugh Smilie
Tolkien on drugs?Thats the biggest load of bull I have heard in a long time!
People who take drugs arent geniouses there oaf heads and as we can see Tolkien was a geniouse,By his works and life.
Big Laugh Smilie ladyfea Big Laugh Smilie
Do anyone here really know about Tolkiens life?
Qiuet frankly I wouldnt have cared if Tolkien had tookien drugs,It wasent because of him I was drawn to his books and stories.Its his books and stuff that I like.
He smoked tobacco if thats what you mean by drugs.
Yes, and probably drank a lot of coffee. That begs the question, 'what, ethically, is the difference?'
I doubt Tolkien was on drugs, but isn't there an postAuthorID who's known for it? Is it Lewis Carroll I'm thinking of? Somebody help me out here...

Peredhil...you mean what's the ethical difference between drinking coffee and smoking tobacco and doing harder drugs? I suppose, if you look at the bare bones of it all, there's not so much of a difference...a drug is a drug, be it caffeine or what-have-you...(not that that'll stop me from having soda or coffee...Wink Smilie)
To tell the truth I couldn't careless if he was or wasn't on drugs when he developed Arda, I only care that he did! I don't think he was on drugs however. Remember he started writting the Silmarillion whilst in the trenches of world war one. The most disgusting conditions of the most deadly war ever. Now in a place where on average a soldier died every two minutes, half the time they're going to be on your side. I don't think any of you can say that you wouldn't start imagining being some where else.
So when people say was Tolkien on drugs when he started writting the Lord of the Rings, you tell them that he started with the Silmarillion and that he'd have trouble trying to get food that wasn't full of cordite, dirt or human and rat feceas/urine, let alone score some drugs. So stop their nonsensical ramblings and contemplate something useful instead of slandering famous peoples names!
YEAH!! YOU GO ROSS!!! Damn right!
I mean hello....did they think that he was on drugs when he created Quenya? Or should they accuse T.C.B.S. for being a drugclub??? Stupid twits who accuse this Oxford Professor!!!

May Eru have no mercy on their perverted souls!!
I read oce that during the second world war American, British and Japanese pilotes were given drugs to enhance their performance. Amphetamine-like drugs were legal in these times and plenty of people were taking them daily. They also were used until very recently in the treatment of obesity.
I just wonder whether during the first world war the soldiers also were not treated with some drugs to make them copy with all that horror.
I doubt it, being that it was an offence to drink from your canteen, in the British army!
OK, firstly, Tolkien did not do any drugs, I'm sure of that. Secondly, would it really matter if he did?
I've seen documentaries about similar subjects, Eryan, where soldiers were used to test whole cocktails of wierd and wonderful chemicals, sometimes in massive doses. As well as testing such things as LSD, amphetamines were used to keep the troops alert in many cases.

I'm not sure if any of this applied in the 1st WW, however. I think the troops were just given a large swig of rum to calm their nerves before they sent them over the top.
Quote:
I'm not sure if any of this applied in the 1st WW, however. I think the troops were just given a large swig of rum to calm their nerves before they sent them over the top.
Also to improve their aim, this was why the terrotory shifted so much during the first world war! Wink Smilie
Rofl! Good one Ross! Very Big Grin Smilie

I cannot imagine professor Tolkien having used drugs, but even if he did, what does it matter? Bob Dylan used drugs, and so did/do the guys of UB40 and so many other great musicians. Even the Beatles did. It was the 60s then, nobody really cared. They made great music, so what's the problem?
Tolkien had great imagination....thatīs all! No drugs made him write the stories or come up with them.....
Peace everyone

Ralfonso - I have deleted your post because it contravenes a Family Friendly Website rule which says we must not promote any illegal substances or activities. Your opinions are as valid as anyone else's but you must find a way to express them that does not break the rules.

If you want more information on the FF rules please check out the link on the PT Home Page.

Vee - Council Member

!
Ralfonso im sorry, and this isnt meant to be a flame but you sound like one of the dumbass hard druggies who i sometimes talk to who profess their deep understanding of bio-chemistry and say the drugs they are takin arent doin them any harm, wotever your opinion ( i cant honestly say ive never taken a drug in my life) the fact is that all the drugs which are controlled do do you harm in varying degrees, and wot do u think marijuana is made of? fairy dust? they're chemicals too you know.

back to the subject, i dont believe Tolkien did drugs but even if he had, would that detract from the greatest work of imagination of the past 3 or more generations? i sincerely hope not
Yes, but what Maruijana does to your brain I do not call harm.
It makes lesser damage than alcohol and do not creates a physical addicivness, it could create a psychic addictivness for weak persons but not something that you cannot control.
I do not believe that Muriajana is fairy dust but a way for the nature to communicate with us humans and tell us to open op or mind for the cosmic awareness and bring us to peace. I believe that the planet has been sleeping for a long time and are beginning to wake up due to all the harm humans make to it, the humans is so far evulated in his ego that he no longer understand what we was ment to be. God speak to us in the plants.
im sorry but, What in the name of all that is holy are you talkin about? we harm the planet so it gives us these mind altering drugs? you do know people used to take marijuana millenia ago when the earth was still skippin along the yellow brick road rather than "slumbering and now waking up". and wot do u mean "weak persons" whether you get a phychological dependance on Marijuana had nothin to do with strength,physical or strength of will, it is your cerebrum being mesud about with by the chemicals within it and getting phycologically dependant on it.
My vocabulary strenght and english skill isn't strong enough to countinue this argumentation.

It's hard to explain what I mean, if you have any interests in this you should read "Food of the Gods" by Terence McKenna.
If someone can explain it, it's him.

http://www.deoxy.org/mckenna.htm

There is also downloadble spoken word of "The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge".
Any chemical substance that alters our mood is undoubtedly harmful in the long run and is best avoided so that we remain in control of our minds and bodies. That said, this thread is not about substance abuse; rather it is speculation about Tolkien's muse: from whence came his creativity, so please keep it on that subject. Thank you.
sorry, i was just completly baffled and couldnt hellp myself lol
Honestly I could scream. But instead I will state that that is a silly thing to even suggest.
Why does someone have to take drugs to be a wonderful writer and have a full imagination. That is so ridiculous. His very faith and family values simply and powerfully show, to m y mind that he could care less about them and in fact never gave t hem a thought except to pray for those that were using them. He prayed. period. He enjoyed a good glass of liquour from time to time, especially later on in life because it was a treat for him and Edith and it kept them warm.
And of course he enjoyed to go to the pub with h is mates.
grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Why cannot anyone with genuine talent be given that dignity of thought?
Quote:
Why cannot anyone with genuine talent be given that dignity of thought?

Jealousy, my dear Leelee. Jealousy.
I think everybody knows that JRRT did not take any narcotics. I also think it's clear that most posts in this thread were purely made in jest.

JRRT is not Samuel Taylor Coleridge, for Pete's sake.
Quote:
JRRT is not Samuel Taylor Coleridge, for Pete's sake.

What? You mean Dirk Gently didn't have to visit JRRT and lead him to change his mind. Such that a poem he was working on became about an albatros, instead of one about being hit by an asteroid. This visit to Coleridge ensured that life on earth wasn't nipped in the bud before it ever came in to being.

All that was from a book* by Douglas Adams and also partially used in one of his Dr. Who episodes, but this has no bearing on the fact that Tolkien used no stimulents stronger than coffee, tea, and the occational shot of liquor when society demanded.

* Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Grondy dear, I am beginning to suspect you were at one time both a learned professor and at night just for the fun of it------a stand up comedian in some trendy bar like Yuk Yuks.
You are terribly informed and very funny, at times almost camp. I like it. Smile Smilie
Quote:
All that was from a book* by Douglas Adams and also partially used in one of his Dr. Who episodes, but this has no bearing on the fact that Tolkien used no stimulents stronger than coffee, tea, and the occational shot of liquor when society demanded.

You forgot tobacco.
Quote:
You forgot tobacco.
Indeed I did, but as we have all seen the Professor puffing away on a pipeful of pipeweed with ashes down the front of an on the sleeves of his tweed jacket, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. Still I should have, as a comparison to some of the stronger things he could have smoked including corn-silk, willow-bark, hemp-rope, and the occasional chum-salmon.
Quote:
Grondy
Still I should have, as a comparison to some of the stronger things he could have smoked including corn-silk, willow-bark, hemp-rope, and the occasional chum-salmon.

you forgot xxxxx.

Moderator Smilie Grondy was here; see my post below.
Quote:
you forgot xxxxx.

No I didn't overlook that substtance, as the age of 50% of our members is under 18 our Planet-Tolkien rules doesn't allow use of soft or hard drugs to be discussed as that is considered unsocial behavior and is not condoned. Thus in my above post I tried to chose substances which would only stink up the place. (If any of them have any halucinal qualities let me know and I'll remove them.) And please don't experiment to find out as any smoke is bad for your lungs.
  [1] [2] >>