Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tolkien's imagination

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Author > Tolkien's imagination   << [1] [2]
Hemp-rope is the kind of rope used to make a hangman's noose, as well as ship ropes. Who in the world would smoke that, other than an insane or moronic idiot?
Quote:
Who in the world would smoke that, other than an insane or moronic idiot?

Hey now, it's really not that bad...
Quote:
other than an insane or moronic idiot?

Quote:
Hey now, it's really not that bad...

Are you implying that you fit that description? Elk Grinning Smilie
It was just some gallows humour.

One should not take oneself too seriously, after all.
WARNING: Smoking anything, especially tobacco (even pipeweed) is harmful to your health (lungs, throat, and heart), and quite often shortens the lifespan of those who do. (I extinguished my last cigarette at 7 PM on 09 September 1969 so that I wasn't subjecting my new son to second hand tobacco smoke.) Smoke Smilie
The man who raised me as a father died of lung cancer from smoking. I just found out my only sibling has to have a double lung transplant and there is a two year waiting list. reason: smoking.
For me that was the one thing in the LOTR that was hard to handle. I don't doubt it was somehow less carcinagenic or something back then because they did not put the appalling chemicals in that they do today to create the addiction. But still........My brother is so young and I think some of his occupations helped speed it up as he inhaled a great deal of second hand smoke. In our country smoking in restaurants and public places was not banned until recently and already many are trying to allow it back in.
Well, smoking a pipe is much more healthy than smoking a cigarette or cigar... at least when it does not have the size of an Alp horn... so do not be too hard on the Professor!
Quote:
so do not be too hard on the Professor!
Also, In Tolkien's day, smoking wasn't known to be one of the main death causing culprits as it is today. My grandmother was a contemporary of Tolkien (she was born about the same time) and she smoked until she died of Alzheimer's in the mid 1960s.
Quote:
(I extinguished my last cigarette at 7 PM on 09 September 1969 so that I wasn't subjecting my new son to second hand tobacco smoke.)

Bravo! Now there is a good man! I think that was a really great thing to do, Grondy. Thumbs Up Smilie
I was a preteen when my Dad quit in the early sixties. I used to hear him cough in the night and so never was tempted by tobacco.
  << [1] [2]