Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What is it you love about Tolkien? Not his books but him.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Author > What is it you love about Tolkien? Not his books but him.   
*tears in her eyes*
I respect him immensely for the true genius he was. I respect the fact that he served his country, and put his life on the line, saw beloved friends die, and faced the true horrors of war that most of us will never be able to comprehend, or ever have to face in our lifetimes.

I respect and admire him as a Professor, teacher, and as an educator. I respect him for having the courage to face his life, and to accomplish all of the tremendous things he did, despite losing both of his parents at such an early age. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for him to deal with.

I respect and admire the things he accomplished as a student, attending the prestigious Oxford University, taking the Honours Moderations exams, and for being awarded a First Class Honours degree in English Language and Literature. I love the discipline, dedication, and perseverance he consistently showed throughout his life to accomplish all of the things that he did.

Most of all, it just seems like to me, he was a genuinely good person. To me, that is the most important thing in life. I respect him for being a good husband, father, and friend to all of the people he cared for in his life. I also love that his great dream was to create something for his country, to give them something of their own, and I’m just grateful that the rest of us get to share in it’s heavenly glory.
Elf Smilie
Very well said Elfstone!
Very nicely said, Elfstone.
There is so much Tolkien had accomplished to earn the respect that he garnished. I love the man because he remained humble and did not feel comfortable with all the alcolades that came his way, yet he did not hide himself away but carried on with his routine life. He still took the time to answer questions about Middle Earth from readers, fans and students. I love the man because he really understood what friendship was and he cherished it.
Well said Elfstone and Rednell!
I agree with what you said Nell, I love how closely he valued friendship. I also love how dedicated he was in preserving old literature and history. I love his passion for nature. And I love his wonderful imagination.
Thanks everyone! Just telling the truth!!!
Happy Elf Smilie
There is so much about Tolkien that I like and respect. His intelligence and imagination come to mind first. I am amazed by the fact that he studied so many languages and even worked on the Oxford dictionary as well as being interested in history.

His love for his family is very comforting. He was jst brilliant and caring.

Well I added my 2 cents worth now.
Very well put indeed Elfstone, I couldn't agree more!

I truly love and respect professor Tolkien for his incredible imagination, for his love for the English language and for writing the most incredible book I've ever read.

He loved his wife, children and his family, and all the pictures I've seen from him show a man with a great air of friendliness and warmth around him. I'm jealous of his grandchildren, because he certainly looks like a great grandfather to me.

But most of all, I love him for, although he was a professor at Oxford, writing children's books and doing this with great style and throwing away all clichés and bad criticism. I love him for writing the Lord of the Rings, although he knew his colleagues would probably laugh at him for writing a fantasy book. "Only" a fantasy book, because at that time I don't believe fantasy was very popular, and indeed most people looked at it as being "only" fantasy. Children's books.

But professor Tolkien did a great job. He brought fantasy back to life, gave it a new dimension. He wrote a book that still has present relevance, and I'm sure it's a book that has pleased many readers in the past, and will go on doing this for many many years. It's a book for eternity, and the man who wrote it was a man with great style, genius and warmth.
i love his stories. his depth.his loyalty.his faith.i love him. Wink Smilie

i admired the way when his wife passed on he wrote:

edith mary tolkien
Luthien
on his wife's grave.that was so deep and i cant express the emotions it brings
[if you know the story of beron&luithien along with the story of edith&J.R.R.Tolkien it is so touching]

[Edited on 25/6/2003 by #1ElijahLover]
Quote:
I love that he was patriotic and fought bravely for his country in WWII
He didn't fight in WW2 he fought in WW1, he was in the lancashire fusileirs (who have their HQ in Bury) and at one point was my great grandad's Lieutenant.

My favourite thing about him, was that he was brave ennough to follow his dreams!

[Edited on 25/6/2003 by Ross]
Quote:

My favourite thing about him, was that he was brave ennough to follow his dreams!

[Edited on 25/6/2003 by Ross]

Good one Ross! I agree. I like to see men like Tolkien who had good reputations and all of that, decide to do things they really love.
Yes very well said Ross! I agree that it takes true guts, courage, perseverance, dedication, and resiliency to follow your dreams!
Elf Smilie
More people need to follow their dreams in this world.
There are tons of things that I love about Tolkien...
First, I love that he was tenacious. Think of the many years that rewote and rewrote. He wanted this story to be thorough. Many writers just want cash... I believe that he did it for the joy of sharing a story. Most books hold my attention for a brief time, but the depth to his writing is incredible.

Second, I love him because he was such an under-dog. He was the Oxford don that didn't write enough papers...he lost both his parents at an early age... he wrote the Sil and nobody would publish it. Imagine that he set aside Middle Earth to write more papers... Imagine that he gave up and used the loss of his parents as an excuse to become less than what he could... Imagine that after the death of most of his childhood friends in ww1 that he didn't start writing the Sil (no sil, no LOTR), but instead used it as a right to be mean or selfish . In the end people were begging that the Sil be published. He had great misfortune and true grief and pain, but he brings hope that even when we have wounds that we will carry throughout our lives, we can still be productive people.

I love that he challenges the notion that creative people cannot hold to some absolute beliefs.

I love that his priority of family slowed him from his work. So many greats fail in this way and it takes away from their greatness. I love that while his family duties slowed his work, in the end it was a story that he wrote for his children , The Hobbit , that threw him into the limelight.
What a wonderful post Ewowyndaughter! I agree with every word!
I'd have some more things to add in that spirit, but it's my last morning before parting on holidays!
Wonderful post Eowyndaughter! Your mention of his tenacity is a good point, I had almost forgotten it. Determination, a bit of perfectionism and genuine love for your creation make a good writer.
And Eryan, have a good holiday! Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
I love that he challenges the notion that creative people cannot hold to some absolute beliefs.

That,I think,is the essence of his philosophy,and the thing I respect the most about him.

He is honest.He wrote everything from the bottom of his hart,for those who were willing to listen.

I think that if someone wants to trully understand Tolkien he must read 'Smith Of Wotton Major' and 'On Fairy stories'.I've read them and...I have no words to describe the beauty of his thoughts.
I like J R R Tolkien because he was a very respect person who was very kind. He served in WW11. And he had created wonderful books that are about friendship.
My mistakes he did not fight in WW11 but WW1. Sorry.
Irima-arwen
Hi Irima-Arwen! No worries, we know what you meant, and welcome to PT!
Happy Elf Smilie
Hey Elfstone, thanks for under standing. I had typed ww11 but i ment ww11. Thanks for under standing.
Irima-arwen
Irima-Arwen: A minor point, but when your fingers hit a wrong key and you find your post doesn't read like you meant, just click on the [EDIT] button at the bottom your post and you can make the correction to it and then won't have to apologize for it. Happy Elf Smilie

And if you are like me and have to do this three of four times, go to the bottom of your post and remove any previous 'edited by' notes, so that when it is finally finished, it appears that you only took one edit try to fix it. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I admire Tolkien for going to war in WW1....He really knew what the Fields of Pelannor and Helm's deep must have felt like, because he was fighting for his country also.

I also admire him for his love for his wife...He met her when he was 16...Yet he coulnd't see her for the longest time because he was studying to be a priest, at the time..
But when he was able, He searched for Edith ( ? ) and married her, at last....
When she died, he requested that on her tomb ' Luthien ', be put, and ' Beren' on his.
Quote:
When she died, he requested that on her tomb ' Luthien ', be put, and ' Beren' on his.

Really? What a romantic!

Quote:
I also admire him for his love for his wife...He met her when he was 16...Yet he coulnd't see her for the longest time because he was studying to be a priest, at the time..

Tolkien was NOT studying to be a priest, he was just taken care of by a priest. This priest forbid him to meet Edith again until JRRT was 21. When JRRT finally became 21, he quickly wrote Edith a letter, but he then discovered she was about to marry someone else... after that JRRT quickly went to Edith to win her back.
when I read one of his biographies he seemed like a really good dad, making up stories for his kids before they fell asleep. He also added things into his story because his children wanted him to. I think that is really sweet of him, he was such a talanted writer he was able to make those little additions work.
Much of what I would say of Tolkien has already been said here. I'll add that I greatly admire his humility and gratitude. He did love his sub-creation but was always cautious of falling into Pride about it and seemed very aware of that danger.

He says he dislikes allegory and he denies the value of knowing about an author's personal life. However, I think "Leaf by Niggle" is an allegory about himself. There he perceives the created thing is a Gift to the artist, not a gift from the artist and is thankful.

Only later, now, I realise that he was my idea of what a father should be and to the extent that I emulated that is the extent to which I succeeded at being a father. Reading of his writings and reading about him has made me a better man, though not really anything special. It's a Gift.